Doctor Refuses to Treat Woman Because She’s Over 200 Lbs.

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Powder Room
By: Dodai Stewart

Ida Davidson claims that her weight fluctuates, and right now she is "a little overweight." But she did not expect to be turned away when visited her doctor. Davidson, who lives in Shrewsbury, MA, went to a new primary care physician — Dr. Helen Carter — and was informed that the doctor would not accept her as a patient. According to WCVB, Dr. Carter has recently implemented a policy of turning away folks who are heavy:
"After three consecutive injuries (with other patients) trying to care for people over 250 pounds, my office is unable to accommodate a certain weight and we put a limit on it," Carter said.

Dr. Carter did not specify the nature of these injuries, but noted that patients have alternatives: "There's an obesity center over at UMass that is much better staffed and has more resources than I do."

Dr. Carter's policy is not illegal, and WCVB points out:

The American Medical Association's Council on Ethics and Judicial Affairs policy reads "Both patients and physicians should be able to exercise freedom in whom to enter into a patient-physician relationship ... physicians do not give up their freedom of association by merely becoming professionals."
According to reports, at least half of American women wear dresses and pants size 14 or larger. There are lots of women over 200 lbs. in this country. Dr. Carter may have the right to turn away patients based on weight, but it seems like bad business. If she is interested in serving as a physician for a certain community, shouldn't she meet that community's needs? (And if people are being injured because her medical equipment is not up to ? , then she needs new medical equipment.)

Dr. Carter says that since her policy was implemented, she's had "at least two people who have been very motivated." Meaning: To lose weight. But it sounds an awful lot like fat-shaming, and Ida Davidson seems to think that Dr. Carter just doesn't want to deal:

She didn't care about my health that day. I think she just cared that I was a liability to her, maybe. And too much work.
Last year, it was reported that some gynecologists in South Florida were turning away healthy, non-pregnant overweight patients. In medical school, the motto is primum non nocere — first, do no harm. Isn't there psychological and emotional harm done when a doctor — someone you're attempting to have an intimate, deeply personal relationship with — refuses to examine you because your body isn't thin enough? What if a patient is turned away and is so humiliated embarrassed she avoids seeking medical attention?

Comments

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? , her loss I guess.

So what about chicks that look like they could go either way? She put them on the scale and give them the boot if it tips at 201?
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMFAO "she didn't care about my health that day" apparently you don't either ? .
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao only if there were some fat females to "weigh in" on this topic
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why should a doctor injur him or self due to someone else's weight

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL I just shared this with the nurse next to me and her words were, "? that fat ? " lol. But yeah when them big ass patients come in here they work everybody smh
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao....? 's funny and sad at the same time..
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL I just shared this with the nurse next to me and her words were, "? that fat ? " lol. But yeah when them big ass patients come in here they work everybody smh

would hate to have her as a nurse.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • king hassan
    Options
    @Missk, you'd be surprised what the doctors, nurses and medical staff say about patients. Yeah they'll smile and all that but behind closed doors it's a different story. Doctor's will come in the office and vent about the patients, it's nothing nice. You may think your doctor is the nicest person but I'm here to tell ya different
  • Dupac
    Options
    @Missk, you'd be surprised what the doctors, nurses and medical staff say about patients. Yeah they'll smile and all that but behind closed doors it's a different story. Doctor's will come in the office and vent about the patients, it's nothing nice. You may think your doctor is the nicest person but I'm here to tell ya different

i can read vibes

i've changed doctors twice, cuz i know they be on some ?
    my doctor now don't seem 100% but she's better than the last 2
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Knowing America, that doctor might be in trouble and she might be getting paid
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • king hassan
    Options
    @Du, sometimes they can mask that vibe real good, some just don't give a ? . But a lot of that stems from them trying to help the patient and the patient is non compliant, they be frustrated as hell. We got a patient that's over 300lbs and she like 5'2''.The doc gives her all types of ways to eat right and lose weight, but the patinet don't give a ? , they just want pain meds. But if you cool your doc is going to be cool
  • Dupac
    Options
    Knowing America, that doctor might be in trouble and she might be getting paid

exactly.... now that doctor gotta pay out workers comp cause she done hired nothing but 115 lbs medical assistants...

real talk, why all the little assistants in them doctor's offices be bad as hell????

i be like

"damn lil cutie......damn little cutie..........oh ? ..look at this little cutie....damn..."

like 4 or 5 little bad ass cuties walking around like it's nuffin...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • king hassan
    Options
    ^^^^^ but they be ratchet as hell lol. They be cool though
  • Dupac
    Options
    @Du, sometimes they can mask that vibe real good, some just don't give a ? . But a lot of that stems from them trying to help the patient and the patient is non compliant, they be frustrated as hell. We got a patient that's over 300lbs and she like 5'2''.The doc gives her all types of ways to eat right and lose weight, but the patinet don't give a ? , they just want pain meds. But if you cool your doc is going to be cool

well see, i'm a bg ? , and i know exactly why i can't lose weight..

i drink too much and i don't work out enough...

my diet however is straight....i cook 90% of my food, i almost never fry, and i don't ? with fast food.....and i'm not a sweets person so i don't snack either...

and i say all this as soon as i walk in....

so if we're going to have a 20 min conversation about cutting back on the sweets, sodas, snacks and fastfood, when i up front told them i don't indulge on that ? ....

it's going to be an issue....

i be like "look, i don't snack...i drink...and until they come out with sugar free alcohol.....imma keep drinking"

? 's annoying as ? , i hate going to the doctor's
  • MissK
    Options

This kind of ? makes me sick.

I have worked with overweight patients (some were even immobile-a real challenge) and yes it is hard to do but I would try my best-there is equipment that can assist the caregiver.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Dupac
    Options
    yeah... a pallet jack...
    lol
  • king hassan
    Options
    MissK wrote: »
    MissK wrote: »

This kind of ? makes me sick.

I have worked with overweight patients (some were even immobile-a real challenge) and yes it is hard to do but I would try my best-there is equipment that can assist the caregiver.

I can dig it @MissK. But a lot of them be young and have no excuse for it. And a lot of medical equipment can not accomidate them
  • MissK
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I can dig it too @king

You are right there are many that have no excuse.
    Just my bleeding heart for all creatures big and small.
  • king hassan
    Options
    LOL @MissK, you supposed to say "I can dig it too"
  • MissK
    Options
    LOL @MissK, you supposed to say "I can dig it too"

Fixed. LOL

• king hassan
    Options