Iphone users, what are you expecting from the Iphone 5?

Options

Comments

• MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MobTown wrote: »
    C-net the gods have reviewed the iphone 5.

http://www.cnet.com/iphone-5/

From the article

If you're looking for a show-off gadget, something with gee-whiz bells and whistles, then go somewhere else...except for the fact that people will inevitably want to see the iPhone 5 and grab it out of your hand. But, if you're looking for an excellent, well-conceived phone...well, here it is.

The iPhone 5 goes on sale September 21 from AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint in the United States. It will come in black and white, and pricing starts at $199 for the 16GB version, $299 for 32GB, and $399 for 64GB.

And they admit that apple is playing catch up to android devices in a major way. Namely the S-3 and Maxx. But this is the best apple phone to date.

It's there latest phone Ofcorse its going to be the best to date.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrSoutCity wrote: »

From the article

If you're looking for a show-off gadget, something with gee-whiz bells and whistles, then go somewhere else...except for the fact that people will inevitably want to see the iPhone 5 and grab it out of your hand. But, if you're looking for an excellent, well-conceived phone...well, here it is.

The iPhone 5 goes on sale September 21 from AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint in the United States. It will come in black and white, and pricing starts at $199 for the 16GB version, $299 for 32GB, and $399 for 64GB.

And they admit that apple is playing catch up to android devices in a major way. Namely the S-3 and Maxx. But this is the best apple phone to date.

It's there latest phone Ofcorse its going to be the best to date.

you know I love this thread...the blind loyalty, I can understand. But come next year around the annual new phone drops...iphone 5 will look like a relic found at a dig site in egypt
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

From the article

Another fantastic review by Cnet. They always manage to keep things well balanced and without bias. Once again the S3 proves what an over hyped POS that thing is. Galaxy Nexus>>>S3 Lumina 920>>>>>>S3
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they actually said the phones were even, and better do all phones on the market. im debating cacelling my IP5 order though the data problems with the OS and purple cam picks too much. they got a week to fix it or verizon gonna switch me phones
  • rage
    edited October 2012
    Options
    they actually said the phones were even, and better do all phones on the market. im debating cacelling my IP5 order though the data problems with the OS and purple cam picks too much. they got a week to fix it or verizon gonna switch me phones

Read the review...the S3's camera is significantly worse than the 5's even for that matter the HTC's. It is slower in every way, its FAR less durable. And the POS doesnt even come with JB. If you have your heart set on an Android phone the HTC One X+ destroys the S3. Its everything the S3 claims it is.

The Verizon data issue was fixed 3 days ago. http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/10/01/apple-verizon-ios6-wifi-issue/

• Dr.Chemix
    Options
    WTF bruh...the camera is less durable?? The ? camera is in a phone case you ? !!!

this ? here man!!!

"uhhh the company logo on the phone isn't as bright as the apple logo on the back"

? blind loyalty...yo ass just dumb as all ?
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this thread is fof material...
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this ? is hilarious

Loving my 5 btw and AT&T LTE

• CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    this ? is hilarious

Loving my 5 btw and AT&T LTE

• rage
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    WTF bruh...the camera is less durable?? The ? camera is in a phone case you ? !!!

this ? here man!!!

"uhhh the company logo on the phone isn't as bright as the apple logo on the back"

The whole plastic POS of ? phone is less durable. You dumb ? . Oh and yes the Camera is far more durable than the S3 because its made from Sapphire glass. Why do you constantly come into this thread only to get ethered time and time again?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/21/ifixit-iphone-5-teardown
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

this ? here man!!!

The whole plastic POS of ? phone is less durable. You dumb ? . Oh and yes the Camera is far more durable than the S3 because its made from Sapphire glass. Why do you constantly come into this thread only to get ethered time and time again?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/21/ifixit-iphone-5-teardown

Welcome to yesteryears upgrade you apple ? gargler
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol, forgot about this thread....

But anyway...postin from the illphone5...came to my doorstep a couple days ago...

I almost wavered in the coming weeks to receiving the phone...I was gonna get the galaxy after playin wit it for a while...the ? was nice...

But I'm glad I didn't....

I been watching flash video to using Skyfire browser, just got through watching Sons Of Anarchy latest episode streaming in HD quality....

Does cost for the app, and not all flash video works using it, but you can find different links and still watch what you need.

Overall I'm pleased as ? wid the upgrade...
  • DNB1
    Options
    Iphone 5s?

Dropping early 2013?

Really?
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thats because their stocks are down 25% this quarter saw on CNN and MSNBC they need to do something to make investors happy

and not a troll post i have an ip5. Not happy with it though but it will suffice
  • DNB1
    Options
    wow man, they taking the ? tho....I'm reading that 5s got released in China yesterday.....haven't even had the 5 for a full month yet.....smh
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess they figure they got to something to catch up. I would have though it would take 3 or 4 months to completely eclipse the iPhone. But it's already been done. The Droid DNA pretty much beats the iPhone in every area except camera quality, and it's only been a month. The 2013 crop of Android phones will likely be ridiculous as far as specs and capabilities go.
  • rage
    Options
    I guess they figure they got to something to catch up. I would have though it would take 3 or 4 months to completely eclipse the iPhone. But it's already been done. The Droid DNA pretty much beats the iPhone in every area except camera quality, and it's only been a month. The 2013 crop of Android phones will likely be ridiculous as far as specs and capabilities go.

And battery life and display quality....

http://gizmodo.com/5960289/htc-droid-dna-vs-iphone-5-and-everyone-else-whos-got-the-best-display

• The Lonious Monk
    Options

http://gizmodo.com/5960289/htc-droid-dna-vs-iphone-5-and-everyone-else-whos-got-the-best-display

Ehhh, that's debateable. Based on what the article said, they are saying that the iPhone 5 is better because it handles color better and is brighter. Those points might be true but, the article itself also pointed out that text was clearer on the DNA and the DNA has superior resolution. Then there is also the fact that the DNA can broadcast in true HD where as the iPhone 5 cannot. So I can't say that the DNA is definitively better than the iPhone 5 in this area. But it's subjective enough to where there may be no definitive best and close enough to where it might not matter. Honestly, the DNA is the first phone I've personally looked at and thought looked just as good as the iPhone.

As for battery life, I might be mistaken but I thought the battery for the iPhone wasn't all that good. Admittedly the battery is the low point for the DNA. That said, it's much better than people thought it would be. I get through a full day easily with moderate usage. But since I've never used an iPhone 5 for a whole day, I can't really say how they compare.
  • rage
    Options

Ehhh, that's debateable. Based on what the article said, they are saying that the iPhone 5 is better because it handles color better and is brighter. Those points might be true but, the article itself also pointed out that text was clearer on the DNA and the DNA has superior resolution. Then there is also the fact that the DNA can broadcast in true HD where as the iPhone 5 cannot. So I can't say that the DNA is definitively better than the iPhone 5 in this area. But it's subjective enough to where there may be no definitive best and close enough to where it might not matter. Honestly, the DNA is the first phone I've personally looked at and thought looked just as good as the iPhone.

As for battery life, I might be mistaken but I thought the battery for the iPhone wasn't all that good. Admittedly the battery is the low point for the DNA. That said, it's much better than people thought it would be. I get through a full day easily with moderate usage. But since I've never used an iPhone 5 for a whole day, I can't really say how they compare.

But why would anybody buy the DNA over the Nexus4? For that matter why any Android user buys any other phone aside from the Nexus line is beyond me. I'd take the Galaxy Nexus over the SG3 in a heartbeat.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

But why would anybody buy the DNA over the Nexus4? For that matter why any Android user buys any other phone aside from the Nexus line is beyond me. I'd take the Galaxy Nexus over the SG3 in a heartbeat.

Actually, there is pretty much no reason to get a Nexus 4 unless you prefer vanilla Android OS or you want to get a high end new phone without spending a ton of money and without getting a new contract. The DNA is superior to the Nexus 4 in practically every way, and even if you don't like the Sense skin on Android, you can just root the phone or use a launcher.

I'm also not really sure why you would take the Galaxy Nexus over the SG3. Is that just bias against the SG3 or something? They are both Samsung phones, and they clearly improved the SG3 over the GN in every conceivable way.
  • rage
    edited December 2012
    Options

Actually, there is pretty much no reason to get a Nexus 4 unless you prefer vanilla Android OS or you want to get a high end new phone without spending a ton of money and without getting a new contract. The DNA is superior to the Nexus 4 in practically every way, and even if you don't like the Sense skin on Android, you can just root the phone or use a launcher.

I'm also not really sure why you would take the Galaxy Nexus over the SG3. Is that just bias against the SG3 or something? They are both Samsung phones, and they clearly improved the SG3 over the GN in every conceivable way.

Vanilla Android and Google. The Galaxy Nexus had the Jelly Bean update the day it came out. There are still GS3s that dont have JellyBean out here. That alone was enough evidence that ? with any other phone aside from the Nexus line would just be dumb. When 4.1 came out Google completely forgot about the month of December. It didnt even exist in the OS anywhere. Google put out a patch and it wasnt THAT big of a deal. The Nexus got all the updates on the day Google pushed them out. All other phones...have to wait till whenever their manufacturer decide and then when their carrier decides to push out the updates. If I have to root my phone to avoid this....whats the point in buying an Android phone?

Secondly with JellyBean the difference between the two is negligible. The Galaxy Nexus has a similar sized screen but is sharper than the GS3's. Samsung has that hideous TouchWiz (Which is a BLATANT iOS ripoff) slapped on the front of JellyBean. Project Butter negates any minor performance advantages the GS3 has, and I'll take the design of the Galaxy Nexus over the GS3s...in other words Google>>>>>Samsung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoctkpaA7-8
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Honestly, getting a new version update faster than other phones isn't that big of a deal. Most of the updates aren't that significant, and when there are major upgrades to the OS, it takes time for the apps and developers to be adjusted properly anyway. So being the first to have it isn't all that great. I'll take a phone that's superior when I buy it over quicker updates any day. Now if Google starts churning out the best phones, you'd have a point, but you can make arguments for choosing the GS3, RAZR Maxx HD, and DNA over the Nexus 4.

As for the Galaxy Nexus, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have all the features that Samsung phones have. That said, I don't even see how you can make the silly comment you did about Google and Samsung in relation to each other. They aren't competitors. The Galaxy Nexus was a Samsung phone after all. And honestly, I'd take Samsung only features like Multi-window that are available on the GS3 but not the GN over getting an update a month or two early.
  • rage
    Options
    Honestly, getting a new version update faster than other phones isn't that big of a deal. Most of the updates aren't that significant, and when there are major upgrades to the OS, it takes time for the apps and developers to be adjusted properly anyway. So being the first to have it isn't all that great. I'll take a phone that's superior when I buy it over quicker updates any day. Now if Google starts churning out the best phones, you'd have a point, but you can make arguments for choosing the GS3, RAZR Maxx HD, and DNA over the Nexus 4.

As for the Galaxy Nexus, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have all the features that Samsung phones have. That said, I don't even see how you can make the silly comment you did about Google and Samsung in relation to each other. They aren't competitors. The Galaxy Nexus was a Samsung phone after all. And honestly, I'd take Samsung only features like Multi-window that are available on the GS3 but not the GN over getting an update a month or two early.

How is not having the latest OS not a big deal? Don't you want offline turn by turn directions? Don't you want Project Butter and its fast and seamless transitions? Google Now? Even more important are functional upgrades like better battery life and under the hood performance improvements. This is such a ridiculous statement that having the newest operating system "isnt that big a deal"...we arent talking about small updates and patches...its a whole and complete upgrade to the OS. Also who says Samsung will even allow you to upgrade your phone? The GS2 which came out in May 2011 wont get Jelly Bean until MAYBE 2013...MAYBE. WTF? Meanwhile the Nexus S got its update to Jelly Bean in October...before the GS3. This again goes to the whole misconception of Android being "open"...its only really "open" if your on a google device. There is no guarantee that the GS3 will even get Key Lime Pie. This goes DOUBLE for Motorola who have locked their boot loaders.

The Galaxy Nexus has a better screen than the GS3, it has NFC, its not appreciably slower than the GS3, the only thing the GS3 has is an 8mp camera to the GN's 5Mp. Even then the GS3 camera is ? in comparison to the other 8mp cameras out there. So what makes the GS3 an appreciably superior phone in comparison to the GN? The GS3 is the most overhyped and underwhelming phone on the market. What features do the RAZR Maxx HD and DNA have over the Nexus4? The Nexus4 has a quad core processor, over 300ppi screen, NFC, Wireless charging, 9 hour battery life.... How are Google phones not the best Android phones?

Google>>>>Samsung....in every way possible.

1) Galaxy Nexus> Galaxy S2 Google killed Samsung on its own ? .
    2) The TouchWiz interface Samsung slaps onto their Android builds is brutal and a straight jack of iOS. Its a memory hog and comes with a whole bunch of bloatware, its laggy, its a battery hog, its riddled with security flaws, etc etc
    3) Google's phones are designed with the pure Android experience, its a seamless relationship and experience. You dont have to worry about locked bootloaders, horrendous interfaces and you dont have to worry about not having the best device on the market.
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @rage

I am thinking of getting the BB10 instead of the iPhone 5. I'm getting bored with iOS and want something new. Am I making a big mistake like when I left iOS for that ? Android platform?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

How is not having the latest OS not a big deal? Don't you want offline turn by turn directions? Don't you want Project Butter and its fast and seamless transitions? Google Now? Even more important are functional upgrades like better battery life and under the hood performance improvements. This is such a ridiculous statement that having the newest operating system "isnt that big a deal"...we arent talking about small updates and patches...its a whole and complete upgrade to the OS. Also who says Samsung will even allow you to upgrade your phone? The GS2 which came out in May 2011 wont get Jelly Bean until MAYBE 2013...MAYBE. WTF? Meanwhile the Nexus S got its update to Jelly Bean in October...before the GS3. This again goes to the whole misconception of Android being "open"...its only really "open" if your on a google device. There is no guarantee that the GS3 will even get Key Lime Pie. This goes DOUBLE for Motorola who have locked their boot loaders.

Ok, first we've already established Google branded phones get OS updates faster than nonbranded phones. So, most of the argument up there is pointless. You're rehashing something that's not even being debated. As far as it not being as a big deal as you're making it, it's not. Yes, it's cool to get the new features and everything, but it's not like having an older OS makes your phone experience ? . I came from a Thunderbolt that didn't even have Ice Cream Sandwich to a DNA with Jellybean. The new features are cool, but guess what? 90% of the ? I do now on my phone, I could do be before on a phone 2 versions behind. The upgrade in hardware going from one phone to the next was far more significant than the upgrade in software. And if I'm not mistaken Motorola was purchased by Google, so I doubt Motorola phones will be left out in the cold when it comes to updates.
    The Galaxy Nexus has a better screen than the GS3, it has NFC, its not appreciably slower than the GS3, the only thing the GS3 has is an 8mp camera to the GN's 5Mp. Even then the GS3 camera is ? in comparison to the other 8mp cameras out there. So what makes the GS3 an appreciably superior phone in comparison to the GN? The GS3 is the most overhyped and underwhelming phone on the market. What features do the RAZR Maxx HD and DNA have over the Nexus4? The Nexus4 has a quad core processor, over 300ppi screen, NFC, Wireless charging, 9 hour battery life.... How are Google phones not the best Android phones?

The GS3 is superior specwise to the GN, has a better battery, and expandable memory which the GN doesn't have. There is no arguing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH8qe0ALP9o

Their performance is still pretty similar, but that is largely because they are both Samsung phones. It has nothing to do with the Google brand, so I'm not sure what your point is here. And what difference does it make that the GS3 cam is ? compared to the other 8 Mp cams out there? It's still better than the GN cam. That's all that matters in this part of the discussion.

RAZR Maxx HD has a much better battery than the Nexus 4 and pretty much every other phone out there, so if battery life is what matters most to you it's definitely a prime option. The DNA has a better screen and better audio than the Nexus 4. It is also noticeably faster. So clearly, the statement that Google phones are the best phones is pretty baseless. If vanilla Android and better Android support is the most important thing to you then you're absolutely right, you should go with Google branded phones. However, it's dumb to act like that's the only consideration when it comes to phones.
    Google>>>>Samsung....in every way possible.

1) Galaxy Nexus> Galaxy S2 Google killed Samsung on its own ? .
    2) The TouchWiz interface Samsung slaps onto their Android builds is brutal and a straight jack of iOS. Its a memory hog and comes with a whole bunch of bloatware, its laggy, its a battery hog, its riddled with security flaws, etc etc
    3) Google's phones are designed with the pure Android experience, its a seamless relationship and experience. You dont have to worry about locked bootloaders, horrendous interfaces and you dont have to worry about not having the best device on the market.

[/quote]

This is still a stupid statement. I don't even understand what point you're trying to make.

Samsung is primarily a hardware developer. Google is exclusively a software developer. They are not competitors. So saying Google >>>>> Samsung is like saying the number 5 >>>> the color green, you're comparing things that don't really even match up.

It is hilarious that you're trying to support Google against Samsung by saying the GN was better than the S2. They were both Samsung phones genius. The hardware upgrades that made the GN superior to the S2 were Samsung's doing not Google's. So again, how does this support your claim in any way. Yeah, if you like vanilla Android better, you will like the GN better, but that was already acknowledged like 3 posts ago.

And the TouchWiz complaint is dumb too. You are primarily an iPhone user so maybe you don't realize this, but most of the people that care about the differences in skins either root or use launchers, so guess what? If you don't like TouchWiz, you don't have to see it. My wife has a Galaxy Note 2 and she's never even seen the TouchWiz skin because we put Go Launcher Ex on there as soon as she got it. Guess what, if we got the Nexus 4, we would have done the same thing because even Vanilla Android doesn't offer the level of customization that launchers do. So again, it's really just a matter of taste and how much you like Vanilla Android.

The fact of the matter is that your statement that the Nexus 4 is the outright best Android phone on the market is false. Is it a great phone? Yes, but there are at least 4 great Android phones out there right now, and all of them have their own positives and negatives.