The official 2012 "Who Dat" thread

Options

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Shizlansky Payton runs more of a spread offense and doesn't really need a feature receiver.

I'll use Colston for example.

Colston would be putting up Megatron type numbers on teams with lessor offensive weapons.

At WR we have Colston, Henderson, Moore, Morgan, and they use Jimmy Graham and that other tight end like a receiver too.

We don't need anymore WR IMO.

RB's in the league come a dime a dozen that the easiest skill position to fill.

PT, Sproles, and Ivory would be good and we coulda signed a free agent vet or two later on for cheap.

Our picks need to go toward our vanilla defense and if we have anything left we can get an offensive lineman.

I do agree with you on Mingo though that would be a good pick if he falls to us.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Johnathon Banks will also be available to snatch and Tyrann Mathieu will be sitting there in the late rounds.

I say we take a Defensive End in the 1st, likely Demontre Moore. Either Rambo or McDonald will fall to the 3rd so we can possibly get one of them and snatch Tyrann in the late 4th or 5th.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I rather have Mingo cuz of his sideline to sideline speed and he can play OLB and on pass plays he can put his hand I the dirt.

He has the frame to put on more weight.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Shizlansky Payton runs more of a spread offense and doesn't really need a feature receiver.

I'll use Colston for example.

Colston would be putting up Megatron type numbers on teams with lessor offensive weapons.

At WR we have Colston, Henderson, Moore, Morgan, and they use Jimmy Graham and that other tight end like a receiver too.

We don't need anymore WR IMO.

RB's in the league come a dime a dozen that the easiest skill position to fill.

PT, Sproles, and Ivory would be good and we coulda signed a free agent vet or two later on for cheap.

Our picks need to go toward our vanilla defense and if we have anything left we can get an offensive lineman.

I do agree with you on Mingo though that would be a good pick if he falls to us.

Yeah or Dion Jordan from Oregon....
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I rather have Mingo cuz of his sideline to sideline speed and he can play OLB and on pass plays he can put his hand I the dirt.

But can he? Cameron Jordan is doing his JOB on the other end. IF they get Sam Montgomery or dude from Auburn. They can cut Will Smith loose.

The Saints can still go best player available for their first pick.
  • smittysmith
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

But hes never played OLB and if he was to become one it would be in a 3-4 which we dont run. You can turn him into one but he would be a 2-3 year project something you dont spend on a 1st pick.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Be actually dropped back in coverages a lot this year. And almost the entire second half vs A&M he played standing up.

He's more of a athletes then a true DE.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I know its been said already, but Cam played real good this year.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    First shutout since '95....and did anyone notice the Safety play is so much better when Quddus is at FS.....he's so much better in coverage and can actually CATCH Int's. Cam Jordan is a beast....and thats with just 1 season under Spags....with a healthy Gallette and Martez Wilson most likely taking over RE duties from Will Smith next season full time....and loading up on D in the draft....man....

But I really wish Spags woulda realized earlier in the season that these young/new FA guys we have on D are just better than the old/big contract dudes...

A.Hicks >>>> Ellis
    Quddus>>>> Jenkins
    E. Mack>>>> J. Patrick
    R. Bush>>>> Harper (in coverage)
    Tez & Gallette>>>>>McBride
    Lofton & Hawthorne DAMN sure >>>>>>>>Vilma & Shanle

Corey White before he got hurt was playing well too.....Tom Johnson, Bunkley....these the dudes Spags need to focus on from here on out. Cut bait with the overpaid dudes from GW defense in the offseason...
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Jenkins and Q should start at the Safety positions.

No way you bench our best player on D.

White should start at Corner next year.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    Dwayne-? wrote: »

I get what you saying...I would switch Jenkins to SS let and Q play FS. At this point Harper seem to be better when they put him in that hybrid OLB position. I would say Harper would go good with Lofton and Hawthorne full time if he actually had the size to do so.

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Dwayne-? wrote: »

I get what you saying...I would switch Jenkins to SS let and Q play FS. At this point Harper seem to be better when they put him in that hybrid OLB position. I would say Harper would go good with Lofton and Hawthorne full time if he actually had the size to do so.

He is a sure tackler though.
  • caddo man
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Bring in Harper like a nickel safety????????Sprag might be on to something.

Saw the shutout and didnt even get excited. I was like. Whatever..........
  • caddo man
    Options
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    So Spags and the secondary coach is out and 3-4 D is in......I can dig it. I think Hicks, Jordan (who played 3-4 in college and why he was so high on the draft board) and Tom Johnson would be the DE's. OLB Wilson and Gallette. ILB Lofton & Hawthorne. I think that D fits those guys better as a front 7 unit. Draft will be very interesting. Do they go NT first or a pass rusher? Vilma and Smith are gonna be off the books after the switch so it gives us some much needed relief off the cap. Biggest question tho.....who's the DC?
  • smittysmith
    Options
    Sean P is back and swinging the axe like Conan, I love it!
  • caddo man
    Options
    CAm Jordan is a baller and Sean P knows it. I am still hoping they can get a second round pick somehow but it will be hard. Trade Will Smith to another team. I dont see it happening but whatever.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    We gotta get a pass rushing OLB.

Mingo?
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    So whats yall thoughts on a 3-4 DC? Crennel, maybe make a run at LSU or Bama's DC?
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    So whats yall thoughts on a 3-4 DC? Crennel, maybe make a run at LSU or Bama's DC?

They run a 4-3 mainly in BR

And Saben runs the defense at Bama

• caddo man
    Options
    I would say Kirby Smart will be a good addition but he has to learn how to be a coach of grown men. I think he is more of a teaching coach than a pro coach. He will outstanding in the beginning but after that what kind of adjustments to teaching to Yelling and motivating (like a Bill bellichik).
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    I would say Kirby Smart will be a good addition but he has to learn how to be a coach of grown men. I think he is more of a teaching coach than a pro coach. He will outstanding in the beginning but after that what kind of adjustments to teaching to Yelling and motivating (like a Bill bellichik).

I get what you're saying but I think some of the guys on D need to be taught. Especially how to tackle. And though going to a 3-4 will benefit some guys that have the talent for it. You have some that have only played 4-3 and need to have a good teacher to help them understand their role. As far as yelling and motivating....thats why you have Vitt as your assistant HC/LB coach. LOL.

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sean Payton came back knocking heads off.

As much as I hated Spags schemes with our personnel I probably woulda gave him another season with drafting his own guys.

I trust Payton's judgement I hope we go after a top flight DC.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Switching to the 3-4 is tough depending on personnel. I heard they looking at Eric Mangini. Took the Niners bout 4 years to get it right Yall gonna need dam near a totally new front 7. Lofton might fit but Vilma won't. Gonna need a NT and some De's. Yall gonna need 2 OLB's that can rush the passer. Good thing yall set at offense so you can spend your time getting the defense right.
  • caddo man
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Switching to the 3-4 is tough depending on personnel. I heard they looking at Eric Mangini. Took the Niners bout 4 years to get it right Yall gonna need dam near a totally new front 7. Lofton might fit but Vilma won't. Gonna need a NT and some De's. Yall gonna need 2 OLB's that can rush the passer. Good thing yall set at offense so you can spend your time getting the defense right.

They have two pass rushing LBs, Junior Galette and Martez Wilson, that they tried to change into 4-3 DEs. That is why Payton wants to make the switch. NTs are all over this draft. This move actually frees up the Saints to go after what is available and not try to add weight to some of the best players out. Cameron Jordan and Hicks can play DE in a 3-4, Buckley is too light for NT. He could make the switch. Smith is gone.