Your Favorite American/Countryman?

DarcSkies
DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Social Lounge
Who among your citizens do you think best represents what your country is SUPPOSED to be about (not what it is actually about because this would be a whole different thread lol) ?

Simple.

My answer is Muhammad Ali still. I was going to say B. Obama for many reasons but....MEH. I think Ali is still my favorite American. He was deeply flawed, had heart, stood for what he believed in and still stuck to it while suffering the consequences and pretty much overcame everything American institutions threw at him.

Anyway, who do you all think best represents what your country claims to be or should be about?

Comments

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stevie Wonder. Being blind he could not see the struggles, discrimination, ect but he understood it well. His music was inspired by these same issues and showed his level of consciousness as well. His success is the result of opportunity, hard work, and dedication.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muhammad Ali or Noam Chomsky.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good choices (even though I have major beefs about what Ali did in the past, but I consider him a saint today).

Assuming that this question applies to living Americans only, I can't go wrong with Ron Paul. I don't think that there are ten people that I hold in such high regard.

And I hate politicians, but if there was ever an honest (and reasonable) politician, he'd be him. The man stands for America's original republican principles: liberty, justice, freedom, etc. He's ? gift to America, and we're too sheepish to even realize. A man ahead of his time unfortunately.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    all i am going to say is Frazier > Ali
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    janklow wrote: »
    all i am going to say is Frazier > Ali

As far as character I will agree. Frazier lacked some of Ali prevalent character flaws. Ali was prone to making foolish statements (calling Joe Louis/Joe Frazier and a few others an Uncle Toms are good examples). His whole thing with Malcolm X was equally bothersome, especially considering he once said Malcolm deserved death...of course he took all these things back when he got older but he did say them.

Frazier embodies the regular workman, the everyday laborer mentality. Unappreciated and under-respected, I like Joe.

As a fighter....well I think they proved that in the ring lol
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muhammed Ali is a hero of mine too, but overall, I gotta say 2pac. He spoke up on many issues, and had a good heart when it came to people. He had some flaws of course, but I think he has overall had a positive influence on music and the world. He's my favorite rapper and musical artist of all time. If we're talking about people who are alive, I'm gona say my mom is number 1, followed by Jay-Z, Michael Jordan, and Bill Gates for his great work being a humanitarian/genius.
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    I'm rich in ways that money could never buy.

To be able to give away riches is mandatory if you wish to possess them. This is the only way that you will be truly rich.

Muhammad Ali
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2012
    Plutarch wrote: »
    good choices (even though I have major beefs about what Ali did in the past, but I consider him a saint today).

Assuming that this question applies to living Americans only, I can't go wrong with Ron Paul. I don't think that there are ten people that I hold in such high regard.

And I hate politicians, but if there was ever an honest (and reasonable) politician, he'd be him. The man stands for America's original republican principles: liberty, justice, freedom, etc. He's ? gift to America, and we're too sheepish to even realize. A man ahead of his time unfortunately.

If Obama had the ? and guts to have Ron Paul's foreign policy and Ron Paul's philosophy on marijuana, this country would truly be great again. A shame a ? like Obama is president now.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this aint some Sean Hannity ? ...

uh.. Ali is a great choice i never really gave it much though

First and foremost he never compromised himself and was a free man.. he never had to cross over they came to him. His social/racial impact coupled with his rise/fall and then adoration is something you cant even dream about
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oprah duh.

She's my hero.
  • playmaker88
    Oprah duh.

She's my hero.

I can dig it .. but funny nonetheless.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why funny?

I love rags to riches success stories and you aren't going to find a better one than Oprahs.
  • playmaker88
    Why funny?

I love rags to riches success stories and you aren't going to find a better one than Oprahs.

The whole Oprah white woman thing when she switched up her vibe and went all "insert your fictional Soap Opera town" Other than that i cant really front on Oprah
  • kingblaze84
    Why funny?

Yeah solid point. Oprah has done a lot of good for people out there too, one of the reasons I really respect her.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Yeah Ali was that dude. He spoke on real issues and stood by his convictions. My favorite part of "When we were kings" starting after he defeated Foreman. Loved his interactions with the Africans and his speech on the black community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxYuhd9zuBQ&feature=relmfu
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    Fdr? Please explain. I heard he's originally responsible for ? up our monetary system with the federal reserve.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tim wise... the man who make white folks the angriest.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These days? It's either Tommy Douglas or Wilder Penfield.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonathan edwards
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2012
    Matt's avy is hilarious lol.....the video of that kid being sentenced is priceless
  • c_gutta1
    c_gutta1 Members Posts: 87
    Mary Ann Shadd Cary is in my top 10
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Sion. wrote: »
    He also was the first president to get not just 3 but 4 terms as president.
    on the other hand, this is not that much of a feat when you consider that many prior popular presidents stepped down after two in order to follow George Washington's example.
    Sion. wrote: »
    (whether or not he was responsible for giving the greenlight to drop the A-Bomb on Japan is up for debate tho)
    i don't know, he was well dead by the time we did it