How much responsibility do musicians have

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
when it comes to their influence?

This thread is based on the Lupe & Chief Keef issue. Some see it as a non issue. I personally think that as entertainers and as members of the community rappers have a responsibility to make sure that they are not influencing wrong doing. Considering there is now concrete evidence showing that the words we use and hear can affect our DNA it becomes especially true that what these kids listen to and rap along to can affect their minds. It is no longer just something lawyers say to put rappers on the spot when a kid decides to go postal. While a rapper is not responsible for the actions of another person because of a record, to make money off something that can be so harmful is terrible. It's almost like being a drug dealer.

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with being a drug dealer tho.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    they share some...but parents will always have most...u dont get morals from CD's
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Complicated issue...Music has a great influence in the folk who listen to it...Great enough to entice people to commit crimes?...who knows...

Same sorta thing with sports stars..."So and so shouldn't do that coz he's a role model"...Personally, I think its all about proximity...you're a lot more likely to be influenced by a celebrity who you feel a connection with...If that person is a thug/criminal and you relate to them, it's likely you're already a thug/criminal...

very complex issue outchea
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I kinda think people put out or produce what they are compelled to do. one person may make goodfelas on record, another may make sesame street. the problem is when 1 tries to criticize the other when you aint walked in his shoes. but people gon keep makin their money through this type of entertainment.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rappers really have no say so tho

you really think if the industry wanted ? to hear something positive

they would allow it?

musicians/rappers are at the bottom of the food chain
  • Copper
    Options
    godfather, scarface, sopranos and goodfellas are looked at as entertainment...so should rap music
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

they would allow it?

Rick Ross ain't at the bottom of any type of food chain...
  • LUClEN
    Options

they would allow it?

Lupe does and he's never gone platinum to my knowledge. Kanye does... Dude went platinum off an album where the main single was 'jesus walks'.

The industry is designed to make the most money and if it can be done with positive music then why would they not do it?

I guess this opens the door to the question: if there was an influx of positive rappers would they sell?
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options
    What happened to taking responsibility for your actions?
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What did lupe and chief do tho?
  • LUClEN
    edited August 2012
    Options

Do you think the person who buys the poison is more at fault than the person selling it?
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    God-I_Am_Ether Members Posts: 3,409
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with shooting up the block/club/kids nursery over them Thangs.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    None what-so-ever.Blaming music has always been the FIRST resort of a society that refuses to look in a mirror & tackle the real issues.

What rap/metal song mad ? invade Poland? What rap/metal song was responsible for 500k people dying in the Sudan?

What rapper is responsible for poverty in the inner cities? Before you respond keep in mind black people where impoverished (even more than now) before the 1970s when Hip-Hop began.

Rappers/Musicians have no responsibility to anybody other than a responsibility to make good music. How pathetic and sad is your community when you're reduced to, "? CHICAGO IS IN SHAMBLES! WHAT'S LIL WAYNE & LUPE FIASCO GONNA DO ABOUT THIS?! SOMEBODY TELL ME...WHERE'S JA!??!?! WHERE'S JA?!?!?!"

How bout these intellectually lazy ? demand more from absent Fathers, Aint-? ? ? using child support for Zebra print nails, racist employment practices, under employment, racist legal system, and all the other factors that lead to violence in the first place?

Nah ? demanding more from our local government. ? taking your black ass to school so you actually have a future to live for. Lets just hope Jay-Z, Lupe & Nicki Minaj save the ? world by Track 7. Really black people? Thats why i cant ? stand ? man.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »

So you think the person who buys the poison is more at fault than the person selling it?
    Yes, you cannot have supply without demand.

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    An entertainer/artist/performer has no responsibility at all to my snot nose kid. They're out their expressing themselves tryin' to get that paper. They don't owe anybody ? .

Actors don't have that burden, why should musicians ?
  • LUClEN
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    None what-so-ever.Blaming music has always been the FIRST resort of a society that refuses to look in a mirror & tackle the real issues.

What rap/metal song mad ? invade Poland? What rap/metal song was responsible for 500k people dying in the Sudan?

What rapper is responsible for poverty in the inner cities? Before you respond keep in mind black people where impoverished (even more than now) before the 1970s when Hip-Hop began.

Rappers/Musicians have no responsibility to anybody other than a responsibility to make good music. How pathetic and sad is your community when you're reduced to, "? CHICAGO IS IN SHAMBLES! WHAT'S LIL WAYNE & LUPE FIASCO GONNA DO ABOUT THIS?! SOMEBODY TELL ME...WHERE'S JA!??!?! WHERE'S JA?!?!?!"

How bout these intellectually lazy ? demand more from absent Fathers, Aint-? ? ? using child support for Zebra print nails, racist employment practices, under employment, racist legal system, and all the other factors that lead to violence in the first place?

Nah ? demanding more from our local government. ? taking your black ass to school so you actually have a future to live for. Lets just hope Jay-Z, Lupe & Nicki Minaj save the ? world by Track 7. Really black people? Thats why i cant ? stand ? man.

It is more than music though when it become a part of the culture, which it arguably very well has in the black community.
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah ? demanding more from our local government. ? taking your black ass to school so you actually have a future to live for. Really black people? Thats why i cant ? stand ? man.

Close thread
  • juan travolta
    juan travolta Members Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its not the music that is making you do dumb ? . that's just a cop out when you get caught.

its because a lot of uneducated parents not teaching their kids right from wrong.

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only responsibility a musician has is to themselves. It's not their fault our kids are idiots and our hoods are ? .
  • LUClEN
    edited August 2012
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    kzzl wrote: »
    The only responsibility a musician has is to themselves. It's not their fault our kids are idiots and our hoods are ? .

Uhm no. You have a responsibility not to harm others. What is considered harm is up for debate though.
  • Copper
    Options
    Nah ? demanding more from our local government. ? taking your black ass to school so you actually have a future to live for. Lets just hope Jay-Z, Lupe & Nicki Minaj save the ? world by Track 7.
    tumblr_m7g33x45Tc1rwi0e7o1_100.gif
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What did lupe and chief do tho?
    Anyone care to answer this? I too, have no idea what t/s is referring to. I don't keep up with the gayness that is passed off as modern hip-hop.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Lupe said in an interview that he's worried about the culture Chief Keef represents and its rising popularity in Chicago. He commented on how he sees all the kids 'in the hood' imitating that style of dress and listening to that music and he does not feel it is something that will help the problem... or something like that

I did not watch the actual interview because I broke my sound card last night taking my laptop apart to clean the fans and I am too lazy to fix it
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    godfather, scarface, sopranos and goodfellas are looked at as entertainment...so should rap music

The problem is these rappers want us to believe that what they do is real. Rick Ross gets confronted about being a correctional officer and lies about it. Al Pacino ain't on Inside the Actors studio claiming he's Tony Montana.

And let's not kid ourselves here some of this music may not be the source of the problem but it sure as hell ain't helping.

Ultimately it falls on us though, society just ain't ? in general.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    if you aren't raised correctly & aren't able to decipher reality from entertainment, then what you see & hear is harmful.

individual artists under some corporate media giant don't have responsibility to change the world. media outlets who consistently put that ? out do tho.