SMH at Dr. Dre.

Options
cobbland
cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Reason
[INTERVIEW]
Angie Stone: Soul on the Outside
The soul diva dishes on her influential career, getting played for her publishing and feeling like an industry outsider

Angie_Stone1_article-small_15677.jpg

EBONY: I want to talk about Sylvia Robinson. When you were part of The Sequence you were signed to Sugar Hill Records. Did you have a relationship with Sylvia prior to her passing?

AS: Sylvia Robinson was a mentor for us all. We learned every trick of the trade from her. I was clueless when I first moved up north on how to deal with the world and the industry. I was 16 turning 17 and still in high school. I listened to everything she said. She taught me to go out and get what it is I wanted because I had the talent. When my group did break up she had already positioned me to stretch out because I had a gift and she acknowledged the gift a long time ago. I think we were close as long as she was in control of me.

The minute she lost control she stopped trusting and the separation happened. But she always respected me and that’s the difference because I never spoke out against her or the label. The honor came when the sons asked me to sing at their mother’s funeral. I knew not only did she love and respect me, but that this day would come and I would be the one to hold her down.

EBONY: There is also this story of how so many artists signed to Sugar Hill didn’t get royalties and were financially exploited. Is that part of the story too?

AS: It’s so sad to talk about it now but I am going to because I never had a voice to say it before. At the time that Sylvia Robinson was the queen of Sugar Hill Records we were all okay and knew we’d get more money. We just didn’t know how to get it. I think once everybody learned we were being completely taken advantage of nobody had money to fight. Years later [The Sequence member] Cheryl the Pearl said ‘they they owe us a lot of money...'I had gotten over and beyond it [but] since I was a team player I supported them and as time went on we learned there was a lot of money owed. Our song “Funk You Up,” that we wrote, Sylvia took 25% of publishing which left us 75%.

Dr. Dre cut the song “Keep Their Heads Ringin’” and when I looked up all we had was 6%. Sylvia had sold the licensing and rights to the song over to Dr. Dre. Right now to this day Dr. Dre is collecting publishing on a song we wrote. I never had a publishing deal because I was underage. By the time I went to deal with it legally the building had burned down and there were no records or files of anything.

So [The Sequence is] still being cheated. It hurts because this was our first song ever by the first female rap group worldwide. It is our legacy and we have Dr. Dre collecting publishing on our song. It is a sin. I would hope one day I can look at him as a man face-to-face and say, ‘I have children and grandchildren. I would like them to know my legacy. Can I please have my publishing back because it was never hers to sell?’

http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/interview-angie-stone-soul-on-the-outside-488/2

Comments

• FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like Sylvia's fault and not Dre's to me.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a lil ? ...But from what I can read...Dre didn't do anything wrong...Its that Sylvia ? 's fault for sellin' him the rights..."my legacy"...would she want it as much if there wasn't money involved?...Ownership of art is a complex issue...she got hustled...Live and you learn
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh that's ? up but that's the music industry for ya. The game need to be changed I swear it do. Everybody get paid off your work but you
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But compared to Birdman...
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? better stop complaining fore the Dee Barnes treatment happens
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ain't on Dre
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is this Dre fault? He PAID for the publishing RIGHT.
    Dre's clear here. Angie is bugging by blaming Dre.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not surprised in the least. This isn't the first time Dr. Dre's been called out for cheating someone out of publishing or licensing. Remember Addictive by Truth Hurts? That Indian sample is a popular old Indian song, and Dre never paid for it, and got sued. I don't remember what happened with the case, but he got caught having not paid (probably thinking b/c it was Indians, they wouldn't pursue).

Either way, not surprised at this accusation, and it isn't the first time.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I understand why many of you say Dre isn't at fault, but with the money he's making off of his headphones, how hard would it be for him to do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrF9fc5MuH4

• Gee_has_hot_picture
    Gee_has_hot_picture Members Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    not dres fault, another witch hunt by the IC, so many nerds that always seem to be so clueless about life

praise 1 of rick ross album to date, it flops. SH does a album and is hated on for Eminem helping out black artists lol
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    I understand why many of you say Dre isn't at fault, but with the money he's making off of his headphones, how hard would it be for him to do this?

Still not is issue or fault. He didn't had nay dealing with Angie Stone, dude just PAID for something he wanted to use. He didn't steal the sample for crying out loud. HE PAID FOR IT, HOW ANGIE STONE GOT ? IS NOT DRE'S ISSUE.

It's the same issue with George Clinton who sold his publishings when he was broke, while it's worth milliiiiiooons, then expected it back after and used the person after HE SOLD TO HIM. I don't understand these artist.
  • the best 1
    the best 1 Members Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • juan travolta
    juan travolta Members Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "i didn't make it as an artist so let me blame some one"
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think she's blaming Dre, but she's telling the story and he's got the publishing. She's blaming Sylvia, the person she should be blaming but she's kind miffed that Dre has her "legacy" and her cut of royalties took a dive.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Industry rule #4080 comes to mind....
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RBX wrote Keep Their Heads Ringin and never got paid for it. The homegirl was telling about how he use to have to sleep on people's couches even after The Chronic and the Friday soundtrack came out.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options
    sully wrote: »
    sully wrote: »
    Not surprised in the least. This isn't the first time Dr. Dre's been called out for cheating someone out of publishing or licensing. Remember Addictive by Truth Hurts? That Indian sample is a popular old Indian song, and Dre never paid for it, and got sued. I don't remember what happened with the case, but he got caught having not paid (probably thinking b/c it was Indians, they wouldn't pursue).

Either way, not surprised at this accusation, and it isn't the first time.

DJ Quik did that beat.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    has she ever offered to buy it back? dre seems reasonable..
  • 704Hustla
    704Hustla Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    Options
    RBX wrote Keep Their Heads Ringin and never got paid for it. The homegirl was telling about how he use to have to sleep on people's couches even after The Chronic and the Friday soundtrack came out.

j-flexx wrote that song and i believe sam sneed did the beat..rbx already left death row in 94

this aint dr dre fault its that sylvia fault man she ? them over real good..this what happens when you dont own your ? ..people trade their publishing like it's a slave auction..same old story naive artist gets played and is bitter about it
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options
    704Hustla wrote: »

j-flexx wrote that song and i believe sam sneed did the beat..rbx already left death row in 94

this aint dr dre fault its that sylvia fault man she ? them over real good..this what happens when you dont own your ? ..people trade their publishing like it's a slave auction..same old story naive artist gets played and is bitter about it

He's not credited on the work.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Come on are you serious, they are complaining about owning 75% of their publishing, thats ? business.

No one would have heard their song if it werent for that lady, so she deserved that 25%, and whatever she did with it is her, and i guess Dr. Dre's business.

Bitter ? swag not approved
  • juan travolta
    juan travolta Members Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

he also got a diss track towards dre to.

• DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Industry rule #4080 comes to mind....

Record company people are shaaadyyy.