Weekly Business Fashion must-haves

FucktheIC
FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Fashion Forward
I know what it was like when I first started working in a business environment. I had no one to really help guide me in my transition college to career. It's frightening. Which combos work? Pocket square too much? Socks, belts, shoes, what matches, what doesn't? Should I just be one of these corny dudes who just wear a million shades of the same color and say "I match?" It's scary. I know what it's like and I'm here to help put on and anyone else who wants to share can.

Reasoning for the GnS
I do not want this in Growing Pains b/c this is an issue anyone can face with their first office job. It's not in simpl;y business or fashion forward b/c no one goes to the former and only overmatching no style having ? post in the latter(just being honest here)

I would love if women could handle the women's side, but I love women's fashion(especially fall) and it's about to be fall, so I can do the first couple.

First for the gentlemen, I'm going to introduce you to the Navy Blue Blazer. Easily THE single most versatile item in the business wardrobe. Seriously, there isn't a piece that will work for more occasions than the navy blue blazer. For the sake of this thread, let's go with J. Crew's fall 2012 blazer
21509_BL8133_m?$pdp_fs418$

Let me add this caveat, I'm not a fan of this blazer personally. Nothing against it, it's really nice, but I don't like the black buttons. I have 2 blue blazers(one from J. Crew) and mine with the gold buttons definitely gets more play from me. Anyways, still a good blazer.

As you can see here, this gentleman is wearing his with jeans, which I have been known to do on casual friday. It can also be paired with a nice flat front sand colored pair of chinos for what's known as the "california tuxedo" It's a classic look. Can't go wrong. In the world of suit separates(I only wear a full matching suit for big events these days), you can never go wrong with the blue blazer. Looks amazing with ANYTHING except black pants. Not that it can't work, I just haven't tried it. Gray slacks - check, brown slacks - check, olive slacks - check(with the right shirt). But you get my points. Personally, if I was building my wardrobe again and had to choose between a suit or blazer and couple slacks, I'm choosing the navy blazer and a couple pairs of slacks 10 times outta 10.

Comments

• FucktheIC
    Ladies, for you, this week's must-have is the wrap dress.
    cn5197857.jpg

Some women think dresses at work are too girly, but I'm not of that school of thought. The wrap dress is very versatile. For happy hour, for the board room, for drinks with a new guy friend after work, it never fails. A nice wrap dress helps to give your body shape and defines your waist. They go well with heels or flats, and I've even seen them paired nicely with a nice pair of riding boots. However, if you don't have the legs for it, don't do it. It won't look very nice honestly.

It was a toss up between this or the black blazer for women. I guess I can do that next week.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I CANT GET DOWN WITH THEM HIGHWATER SLEEVES BRUH!

WHITE FASHION AINT ALWAYS THE RIGHT FASHION
  • FucktheIC

It's not white fashion. Go to any tailor. 1/4 inch of your shirt barrel should show under the blazer sleeves.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks too professional for my job.
  • MARIO_DRO
    FucktheIC wrote: »

It's not white fashion. Go to any tailor. 1/4 inch of your shirt barrel should show under the blazer sleeves.
    NOT TRUE.. NOT TRUE AT ALL, BUT U GO HEAD AND WEAR YOUR SHIRTS LIKE THAT GOOD SIR
  • FucktheIC

NOT TRUE.. NOT TRUE AT ALL, BUT U GO HEAD AND WEAR YOUR SHIRTS LIKE THAT GOOD SIR

Are you talking about shirt length or blazer length? Cuz the shirt's sleeve length is perfect. It's right where the thumb meets the wrist.
  • MARIO_DRO

Are you talking about shirt length or blazer length? Cuz the shirt's sleeve length is perfect. It's right where the thumb meets the wrist.

BLAZER SLEEVES...

I GOT LONG ARMS.. I CANT HAVE NONE OF MY SHIRT SLEEVE SHOWING
  • FucktheIC

BLAZER SLEEVES...

I GOT LONG ARMS.. I CANT HAVE NONE OF MY SHIRT SLEEVE SHOWING

I think sleeve showing looks better on long arms than on shorter arms. I have shorter arms so I adhere to the 1/4 inch rule. Whereas you could get away with more. Look at the executives where ever you work bruh, check them out.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrap dresses hug your curves,I don't feel people (especially men) take me serious when they can see my figure like that.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

hahahahahaha

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this ? Dro dumb as ? ...
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    On a Blazer, Sport Jacket or Suit Jacket the sleeve should be cut @ about 1/4" above the bottom of the shirt sleeve. The reason is that you want a slight bit of sleeve showing... It presents a 'finished' look.

In terms of shoes and socks matching, that ? is lame, I've been known to punch it up a bit with my socks, it's cool to me...

DSCN1572.jpg]

One of the best rules to follow, is to dress for the job you want, not the job you have. If you're co-workers wear jeans everyday and your boss wears chinos, wear chinos, if you're co-workers wear chinos and your boss wears slacks and a jacket, try that look a few days a week, etc... If your office isn't formal but you want to wear a suit, lose the tie, and add the pocket square (I prefer the 'TV' fold b/c it's simple and elegant)
  • MARIO_DRO
    I TAKE THAT BACK..

IF IM ROCKING CUFF LINKS, THEN OF COURSE I WOULD WANT MY SHIRT A LIL LONGER/COAT JACKET A LIL SHORTER
  • MARIO_DRO
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    this ? Dro dumb as ? ...
    YO MAMA DUMB FOR NOT LETTIN ME HIT THE 3RD TIME
  • CapitalB
    aone415 wrote: »
    On a Blazer, Sport Jacket or Suit Jacket the sleeve should be cut @ about 1/4" above the bottom of the shirt sleeve. The reason is that you want a slight bit of sleeve showing... It presents a 'finished' look.

In terms of shoes and socks matching, that ? is lame, I've been known to punch it up a bit with my socks, it's cool to me...

DSCN1572.jpg]

One of the best rules to follow, is to dress for the job you want, not the job you have. If you're co-workers wear jeans everyday and your boss wears chinos, wear chinos, if you're co-workers wear chinos and your boss wears slacks and a jacket, try that look a few days a week, etc... If your office isn't formal but you want to wear a suit, lose the tie, and add the pocket square (I prefer the 'TV' fold b/c it's simple and elegant)

who knitted those socks playa??

they go..
    thought i was the only one...

• MARIO_DRO
    THEM SOCKS ARE KING HASSAN'S LANE... DUDE STAY WEARIN THE COLORFUL SOCKS... I DONT WEAR SLACKS ON THE REGULAR BUT I DO HAVE MULTICOLOR SOCKS
  • CapitalB
    yeh.. i forgot KH got a fes pair..
    so that makes 3 of us wit pizzazz lol
  • CapitalB
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pizzazz?
    word?
  • CapitalB
  • CapitalB
    lol i swear yall try to hard...

OOPS!!! i mean "too" hard..
    better?? smmfh
  • FucktheIC

DSCN1572.jpg]

Those leather or suede, boss? Cool as leather, but I'd love them if they were suede.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012

DSCN1572.jpg]

Those leather or suede, boss? Cool as leather, but I'd love them if they were suede.

Those are leather... Bruno Magli split toes... but yeah I feel ya on the suede... Next month for fall I'll be copping some suede brogues...

Looking for something like this

mark-mcnairy-suede-wingtip.jpg
    BossBoo wrote: »
    who knitted those socks playa??

they go..
    thought i was the only one...

I got those from Saks... They have their own line of socks... fairly inexpensive, especially when on sale...
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Def gotta rack up on my sock game. Plain black, navy blue or plain grey is usually the lane I stay in, but U wanna switch it up a bit.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator