• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aneed123 wrote: »
    aone415 wrote: »
    was always taught a man should have a at least 2 nice dark suits and a nice watch

@aneed123 Agreed... you were taught well. Once you've finished school or have entered the workforce, you should have at least 1 navy and 1 grey suit. They should be of reasonable quality [spend decent money on it (cop a $500 suit on sale for $250) and get it tailored well (abt $80-100)] and you'll do well. With regard to a good watch, you don't need to spend a rack on one.. and please no diamond studded BS... get a nice piece Fossil, Timex, Lacoste all make a classic, professional watches that look professional. If you wanna step the game up, got with the Brietling, Omega, Rolex, Tag, Patek, etc... I'm an Omega man I take them above all others! but that's just me.

I ve always been a fan of citizen watches..... their eco drive's are nice for bout $350. Dillards saty with pretty affordable suits that are name brand. Also keep ur dress shoes up kept
    I keep mines in the box and put taps on them as well. And I keep a supply of shoe polishes and brushes. My pops never left the crib without shining his shoes. He was a mailman too, and he kept those shoes glistening. He has the electric shoe shiner now. I still do the old spit shine

I was in the military so Uncle Sam taught me that kiwi show shine game lol. They got a old school shoe repair shop back home that I got to that fixes the bottoms when the wear so I can keep a nice pair of dress shoes up
    LOL ROTC and 5 years Navy, so you know I know. Man I got a homie that owns his own cobbler shop, I do a lot of business with dude. Been going to him for 15 years, Reece only 43. Keeps the bottoms on point and I go to him because he a young black dude doing it. His pops passed the business on to him
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    I have never worn a shirt-sleeve button-up with a tie. That's for Geek Squad. Always wear a longsleeve with a tie, unless you have a cardigan/vest/coat. And a nice set of glasses never hurt either.

I can't take a man seriously if he wears a short sleeve shirt to the office - period.

I can't take folks seriously if I know they're wearing glasses when they really don't need them. ? looks stupid to me.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    I have never worn a shirt-sleeve button-up with a tie. That's for Geek Squad. Always wear a longsleeve with a tie, unless you have a cardigan/vest/coat. And a nice set of glasses never hurt either.

I can't take a man seriously if he wears a short sleeve shirt to the office - period.

I can't take folks seriously if I know they're wearing glasses when they really don't need them. ? looks stupid to me.
    aside from fashion..what's ya'll thought on grooming..i about to start using the badger brush and the double edge safety razor on some old school ? ..i been browsing sites like:

royalshave.com
    classicshaving.com
    groominglounge.com (went there and got a pedicure)

I can't front, 98% of the time I simply let my barber take care of it and I been going to him since before I had ? hair so I just trust that ? know what he been doing the past 10 years+ I've had ? hair lol
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haha. nah. I've just been super busy. I haven't posted much, and haven't had time for a nice drop.

But I'm writing one right now about pant length for men.
  • FucktheIC
    Gentlmen, let's talk about the break in your pants. The break is the length of your pants.

If you're just getting your first suit, go with a medium break. When having it tailored ask for a medium break, and ask your tailor to leave a little fabric in the cuff or hem in case you want to let it out(don't know why you would want to). The medium break falls somewhere between where your laces start and the top of your shoe. This is pretty much the standard. You can't go wrong with this one.
    pants-break-0.jpg

I won't give any shine to the full break, because I think it looks sloppy and makes otherwise well fitting pants look big and not put together. Full_Break.jpg These pants for example. The pants fit, but the break makes it seem large. Some guys are okay with it, but I don't like it. I shouldn't have any creases on the front of my pants.

Since I'm a stylish ? , and I love when my socks get a little shine, I typically go for a short break. This break lets the ? know, "This ain't just off the rack ma, I put some time into getting measured and tailored here.) No creases, no bends in the fabric, no drag, it's all swag.

pants-break-2.jpg I love this break b/c when I sit my pants rise and show some sock(I always wear colorful socks). I also put a lot of effort into keeping my shoes shined, so I always enjoy showing those off too. Now, this is a personal choice. Some men look weird in a short break simply b/c they probably aren't comfortable with it. I love mine. I always get compliments on my socks. Especially when my legs are cross. Let's these hoes know I'm a man about my bidnizz.
  • king hassan
    Gentlmen, let's talk about the break in your pants. The break is the length of your pants.

If you're just getting your first suit, go with a medium break. When having it tailored ask for a medium break, and ask your tailor to leave a little fabric in the cuff or hem in case you want to let it out(don't know why you would want to). The medium break falls somewhere between where your laces start and the top of your shoe. This is pretty much the standard. You can't go wrong with this one.
    pants-break-0.jpg

I won't give any shine to the full break, because I think it looks sloppy and makes otherwise well fitting pants look big and not put together. Full_Break.jpg These pants for example. The pants fit, but the break makes it seem large. Some guys are okay with it, but I don't like it. I shouldn't have any creases on the front of my pants.

Since I'm a stylish ? , and I love when my socks get a little shine, I typically go for a short break. This break lets the ? know, "This ain't just off the rack ma, I put some time into getting measured and tailored here.) No creases, no bends in the fabric, no drag, it's all swag.

pants-break-2.jpg I love this break b/c when I sit my pants rise and show some sock(I always wear colorful socks). I also put a lot of effort into keeping my shoes shined, so I always enjoy showing those off too. Now, this is a personal choice. Some men look weird in a short break simply b/c they probably aren't comfortable with it. I love mine. I always get compliments on my socks. Especially when my legs are cross. Let's these hoes know I'm a man about my bidnizz.

My ? , you already know 25jjwao.jpg
  • NIKE...
    NIKE... Members Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every successful businessman has a protege b...if you not molding a clone, you lost the game b..

From my brother to my uncles, all them ? have a protege on their squad...? already got money, cars, clothes and hoes...you aint on ? until you have a lackey b..thats how you know you're making the right moves...when ? are tryin to walk in your footsteps
  • Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breaks also vary in height.
  • king hassan
    I was sitting in the park one day after work on a Friday, and this chick saw my socks and commented with "now them some grown man socks right there"
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality thread....dont know how i missed it
  • RespectedGENlUS
    RespectedGENlUS Members Posts: 53
    I'm late to this thread and new to the boards. But I appreciate the fellas in here talking about having the right break in your pants. I go for a short break too, gotta show the socks off. Plus I usually get my shoes shipped from overseas so I like to show those off as well.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me add me two cents. ? you've got to stop doing this ? :

HeCantDressPtII-1.jpg

HeCantDress-1.jpg

There's no excuse for the first dude in the first picture because he appears to be an older cat that should know better. First of all what the ? is up with all of those chains. You're not suppose to wear a one chain, let alone that many with a tie.

Also, the coat, as I said in this thread: http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/110955 isn't the appropriate coat for a suit. The coat should at a minimum be a 3/4 in length. Dude might of been able to pull off this ? up look if he didn't have on the suit jacket under the leather jacket. Of course there's the Nas, "It Ain't Hard To Tell," cap. That ? is just ratchet as ? . Only certain kinds of caps and hats you can wear with suits.

Dude in the second picture isn't as bad, but he ? it up with the Yankee cap on. Again only certain caps look right with suits.
  • Maximus Rex
    beltandsuspenders.jpg

This has got to be be the biggest fashion faux paux as far as men are concerned, wearing suspenders with pants that have belts loops in them. Despite the fact that clothing manufacturer make these ass backwards pants, you look tacky as ? when your wearing suspenders and you have the these empty belt loops and never, never, ever, under any circumstances wear suspenders and belt at the same time, reason being that both serve the same purpose, to hold up your pants. I would also go as far to say that you shouldn't wear suspenders with a three piece suit, because when you take your suit jacket off, you want to show off your suspenders.

If you want rock suspends get some dress pants like these:

trousers-dwool1-lrg.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0

These are suspender dress pants and as you can plainly see, these trousers have no belt loops on them, just buttons for the suspenders to attach on the pants. As you can see this is a crisper, flyer, and clean look. So remember, belts for belts loops, and buttons with belt loops for suspender pants.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    A great site you should check out is http://www.styleforum.net

Lots of great info plus deals.

• GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been lurking on Style Forum for years good info but all of the posters are pretentious ?
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ugh @ this thread
  • FucktheIC
    lechic wrote: »
    ugh @ this thread

Ol' hot dog tater chip bag ass....

No shirt, no shoes, no swag ass.....
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just copped these for Fridays

IMG_0577.jpg

Damn I need these in my life
  • Jik Jikkles
    Jik Jikkles Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    I know what it was like when I first started working in a business environment. I had no one to really help guide me in my transition college to career. It's frightening. Which combos work? Pocket square too much? Socks, belts, shoes, what matches, what doesn't? Should I just be one of these corny dudes who just wear a million shades of the same color and say "I match?" It's scary. I know what it's like and I'm here to help put on and anyone else who wants to share can.

Reasoning for the GnS
    I do not want this in Growing Pains b/c this is an issue anyone can face with their first office job. It's not in simpl;y business or fashion forward b/c no one goes to the former and only overmatching no style having ? post in the latter(just being honest here)

I would love if women could handle the women's side, but I love women's fashion(especially fall) and it's about to be fall, so I can do the first couple.

First for the gentlemen, I'm going to introduce you to the Navy Blue Blazer. Easily THE single most versatile item in the business wardrobe. Seriously, there isn't a piece that will work for more occasions than the navy blue blazer. For the sake of this thread, let's go with J. Crew's fall 2012 blazer
    21509_BL8133_m?$pdp_fs418$

Let me add this caveat, I'm not a fan of this blazer personally. Nothing against it, it's really nice, but I don't like the black buttons. I have 2 blue blazers(one from J. Crew) and mine with the gold buttons definitely gets more play from me. Anyways, still a good blazer.

As you can see here, this gentleman is wearing his with jeans, which I have been known to do on casual friday. It can also be paired with a nice flat front sand colored pair of chinos for what's known as the "california tuxedo" It's a classic look. Can't go wrong. In the world of suit separates(I only wear a full matching suit for big events these days), you can never go wrong with the blue blazer. Looks amazing with ANYTHING except black pants. Not that it can't work, I just haven't tried it. Gray slacks - check, brown slacks - check, olive slacks - check(with the right shirt). But you get my points. Personally, if I was building my wardrobe again and had to choose between a suit or blazer and couple slacks, I'm choosing the navy blazer and a couple pairs of slacks 10 times outta 10.

can't lie could use some tips on dressing more professional. I just personally like the way it makes me feel as a man.
  • Maximus Rex

Also check this site out, dude but me up on a lot of game as far as men's fashion

www.realmenrealstyle.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfH5ujz6FUI

Off The Rack Suit Alterations-Can You Get A Fit Similar To A Custom Suit?-Male Style Advice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sKQ6DTjTxI

Matching Leather & Matching Metals In Menswear-Men's Clothing Accessories Matching Tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMgBR79jDg

How To Find A Local Tailor-7 Tips To Choose A Seamstress-Locate Tailors Seamstresses

http://www.artofmanliness.com/ is a dope site too.
  • Maximus Rex
    Links on building a wardrobe

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/04/16/how-to-build-a-manly-wardrobe-1/

How to Build Your Wardrobe: Part I

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/05/13/how-to-build-your-wardrobe-2/

How to Build Your Wardrobe: Part II – Men’s Clothing Specifics

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/05/28/how-to-build-your-wardrobe-3/

How to Build Your Wardrobe: Part III – Men’s Hats, Watches, and Other Accessories

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/07/23/build-wardrobe-protect-clothing/

How to Build Your Wardrobe: Part IV – Protecting, Storing, and Cleaning Your Clothing