If there is no "? ", why be good?

Options

Comments

• Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Atheist are just as bad as any theist when it comes to getting their "point" across...

neither side is right yet they clash daily..

reminds me of two ? children trying to out-? each other
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dro lets ? inside
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Laws and other earthly consequences. Havent read past first page but no doubt someone said karma
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Dro, ALL sin is the same no matter what.

NAW, ALL SIN IS NOT THE SAME..

AND WHAT I MENT BY BY STATEMENT WAS, ME LOOKIN AT A CHICK AND ? IS DIFFERENT FROM BE ACTUALLY ? HER.. SEEING THAT MORE BAD ? CAN HAPPEN TO ME IE, GET AN STD, GET HER PREGNANT, HER HUSBAND KILLIN ME... JUST 2 NAME A FEW

jesus-facepalm.jpg
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its always the ? who think this ? . If hell broke loose today, T/S would have been gorilla ? , shot, maimed, robbed and left for dead. You better be glad some good is here you ?
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it seems alot of agnostics/atheists don't really understand christianity. they understand how to ruffle feathers, but i don't think they are really able to argue it with any bit of objectivity.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Laws and other earthly consequences. Havent read past first page but no doubt someone said karma
    i didn't mention karma...but i did say that ? or no ? ...being 'bad' is still gonna ? you up during your life.. it doesn't matter about heaven/hell. devil/? ....you go around avoiding 'good' then you are going to be dead or in jail.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    woooooo grade A ether to blind religious followers
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    woooooo grade A ether to blind religious followers

lol not really...
  • Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Ted Bundy wrote: »
    Atheist are just as bad as any theist when it comes to getting their "point" across...

neither side is right yet they clash daily..

reminds me of two ? children trying to out-? each other

While I agree that both sides can be equally obnoxious, I can't support the fallacy of false equivalence either. The presuppositions aren't on equal footing especially when you measure both against objectively verifiable reality. There's also the issue of "? " being a loaded term with as many definitions as there are theists. Of course, what it comes down to is faith; it's what makes sense out of the seemingly nonsensical. It also makes these "debates" pointless.
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    Its always the ? who think this ? . If hell broke loose today, T/S would have been gorilla ? , shot, maimed, robbed and left for dead. You better be glad some good is here you ?

The original point of the thread might have gone over your head, Chemix. Understandable considering how far off topic the discussion got.
    matt- wrote: »
    it seems alot of agnostics/atheists don't really understand christianity. they understand how to ruffle feathers, but i don't think they are really able to argue it with any bit of objectivity.

Please, elaborate.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    No topic goes over my head @Doctopian. Underestimating seems to be your achilles heel
  • Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    No topic goes over my head @Doctopian. Underestimating seems to be your achilles heel

If that's the case, then what's up with your response? It would make sense if anyone claimed that we shouldn't be good or that good doesn't exist, but that wasn't the original point of the thread.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to belittle you. I'm just trying to see where you are coming from.
  • -Slim-
    -Slim- Members Posts: 28
    edited September 2012
    Options
    that little essay mattered little to me. im a Buddhist and im told that being, "Good" by following the precepts and through general acts, thoughts, or deeds will gain me merit which will accumulate and carry over to my next life leading me that much closer to Liberation...or at least thats what I've been told. but i dont think of it like that. i think of it like this, its simple. negative actions only bring negative results. weather it be now or in the long run, your gonna get bit in the ass for whatever you did wrong. so i choose to act right, i don't need a ? or an old book to tell me that.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is this with or without ? ?

You catch feelings easy Chemix, very easy.

You say "be glad SOME good is here", is this with or without ? ?
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I agree with the Einstein quote in respect to people using reward as a motive for why somebody worships ? (and just for kicks, the Bible does talk about that). However, Dawkins seem only content with what the existence of ? means morally...just like some religious folk may be. He is under the impression that the Bible is about earning a spot in Heaven through morals and maybe if he just (at least behind closed doors) do a thorough research on the Bible he would see that it is not.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    It isn't bout feelings ? . Its about reality. You and others on this site misjudge my posts based on your own limited ignorance. My point was simple. Without good, evil would run rampant in a degree unimaginable. Someone of your stature wouldn't be able to defend yourself from the dormant beast that lies within man. So while you being sarcastic, you need to give gratitude. Imagine, throwing you in a prison 10 times worse where nothing can save you.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    InB4 Judahxulu owns this thread.

because you can't?
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting

but who cares if the powerless are good or bad

the question is if you had world power what would you do?
  • Bodhi
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Good and evil only exist in the minds of sentient beings. Being conscious of the world around us, we eventually stumble upon something we can call "less favorable" or "more favorable". These things can equal to a "evil" and "good", respectively. We would never be able to get around that. IMO, suffering is the only concrete "evil". What we can believe to be "evil" is any number of things that lead up to suffering of mankind or any conscious being, individually or as a group. This seems to be true whether there is a ? or not, and makes ? unnecessary for good and evil to occur.
    I do not believe in a creator ? , but I believe in doing good for the universe because our actions are like throwing a rock into a pond. When you do, it creates ripples in the water. Likewise, throwing negative energy into the universe creates "ripples"
  • Bodhi
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Without good, evil would run rampant in a degree unimaginable.

One cannot exist without the other.

What is this "dormant beast that lies within man"? Is that something you speak of based off personal, internal experience? Where is your research that proves man is naturally evil? Being that man is a social creature, it would make sense to believe that man is naturally "good"
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So theres a stop sign that I always run when I'm driving home. Its never any cars around and I dont even know why its their because its not a 4 way stop.... it should be a yield...

either way I said f*ck it... and have been running that stop sign (treating it like a yield) for 6 yrs..

Thats kind of how I see morality...
    I look at things as more constructive and destructive more so than "good" and "evil"

Running a stop sign isn't constructive... and if it was a heavy traffic area I would follow the traffic law .... but the risk of things being destructive is sooooo low that its not even a risk...

kind of low Dro ? after Kat.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I follow my own creed as I derived from my upbringing and experiences. For the sake of being a productive citizen, human being, and black man. None of which for the sake of somebody else's ? (s). I do so for my own sake and well being. And the well being of those I care about.

Good is subjective, though. According to what region, religion, and/or society you live in. ? I do in Iran could be frowned upon in the US and vice versa. What's good for one groups ? (s) might be blasphemy to another. Whats cool in 2012 might have had us burned in the center of town in the 11th century.

Thinking your ? is the only "good"? Yeah, I've read about that before. SMH. That's how buildings get airplanes flown into them and continents of people get massacred civilized. But that's a whole other thread.
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Slaves obey your masters....

If Black slaves ran away, started revolts, or just said ? it I'm takin a break that would be disobeying their masters. Even refusing said master from ? a slave male or female is considered bad in the bible. Its a sin.

Which means Harriet Tubman, Denmark Vessey, Nat Turner, Frederick Douglas, all of Jamaica and Haiti are some sinners goin to hell, because I'm sure none of them repented for the sin of disobeying their masters.

The Bible actually gives the moral authority for a ? to own another ? .

Just so yall dont think Im makin this up:

Colossians 6:2
    Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eye service, as men pleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing ?

Ephesians 6:5
    Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ

Knowing the perversity of our ancestor's masters can you imagine the ? up ? they made them do? However slaves would be in the wrong for disobeying it at all, or even grumbling about it.

Ephesians reiterated that point that not only are slaves to obey their masters they are supposed to do it with fear [respect and reverence] and trembling like they would Christ or ? . ? ! A slave supposed to fear his master like he do ? . I wonder who put that ? in their. WHo the ? does that benefit.

Black folks been scared of white folks like ? ever since they picked up this ? book. Had white folks playin with their minds. 'Now you ? dont go learnin how to read you here' ::Leaves bible as the only print source material around. ? are sneakin and readin thinkin they are gettin over meanwhile these cracca ass ? are in the bushes cacklin and rubbin their hands because of this spiritual trick bag they are puttin on ? .

Which results in ? like Dro, SuperstarCole, Ether I am, Ajackson and a slew of other ? who are the bend over ? backwards for white folks while shittin on their own kind.

Had any other race on earth been subjected to what black folks were subjected to, white folks would never be able to sleep comfortably with black ? in a 500 mile radius of their position.

Native Tribes may only be 1% of the uS population but those ? fought Europeans. A lot. Only reaosn they lost is because of small pox. Those eniggas immune systems were never exposed so they couldnt handle the onslaught.

Not black folks though. ? just want to forgive and forget and lets play nice even though at every turn europeans say ? yo life ? . A dog is worth more to them than you. IJS.

When I take all that ? into perspective. The bible is lucky i didnt have a fire goin at that time.
  • irad4185
    irad4185 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Options
    Whether a ? exists or doesn't people will still fear something and that fear will control our actions. Pets can behave good or bad and they don't even speak. Dogs don't need a lesson on morality to know not to bite a baby.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    irad4185 wrote: »
    Dogs don't need a lesson on morality to know not to bite a baby.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132912/Horror-family-dog-kills-dismembers-month-old-baby-father-slept.html

It's because humans teach them what is "right" and "wrong" according to their standards