James Harden Dilemma

Options
ShadyWorldOrder
ShadyWorldOrder Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
If the Oklahoma City Thunder can not agree to a contract extension with James Harden before Oct. 31, the 23-year-old shooting guard will become a restricted free agent next summer. Harden is the 3rd option for the Thunder even though Harden was non existent in the Finals he is a big piece to them winning a championship it showed in the Finals without Harden on top of his game like he was in the WCF OKC didnt have a shot @ beating the Heat. With all this money owed to Durant Westbrook and now Ibaka. There's no way OKC can sign Harden to a MAX contract without hitting luxury tax or I cant see Harden signing a extension for low money with all he does for this team. And if Eric Gordon can get a MAX contract (even though he a very good player he been very injury prone and just came off surgery) why shouldnt he go for big money Look @ the shortage of SG's in the league. Do anybody see him getting traded or OKC making moves to free up money to give harden a decent extension

Comments

• DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    trade him now!!!!!! call up golden state and offer him for Steph Curry, or call the kings and offer him for Tyreke. it is a known fact that Pheonix will offer him the same MAX they offered Eric Gordon this summer.

Dallas is also desperate after dwight and D-will didnt go there and will offer him a max as well to squeeze 2 contending years out of Dirk
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see OKC trading him to the East 4 sum reason Im thinking the Bulls or its me being biased.....................Bulls still got Charlotte unprotected 1st Rd pick and
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    his biggest dilemna is him needing to adjust to the new rules the NBA are going to hand out against flopping later this month.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Dudes good for what he is, a 6th man. Spark off the bench. He's about to get that franchise money, smh and it better not be the Bulls that give it to him.
  • inthacut
    inthacut Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    Options
    why cant OKC just pay the tax? why does everyone assume they wont?
    If a team is $0 to $5M over the tax, they pay $1.50 per dollar (so if you're $3M over, you pay $4.5M in taxes).
    If a team is $5M to $10M over the tax, they pay $1.75 per dollar
    If a team is $10M to $15M over the tax, they pay $2.50 per dollar
    If a team is $15M to $20M over a tax, they pay $3.25 per dollar
    If a team is $20M over, they pay $3.75 per dollar, with the penalty increasing by .50 for every additional $5M it goes over

? isnt that simple bruh
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    keep him amnesty perkins
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OKC has all the leverage on this.

Worst case scenario for OKC: They re-sign, stay the same.
    Best case scenario for OKC: They trade him, get better.

The onus is on the Beard.
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    trade him now!!!!!! call up golden state and offer him for Steph Curry, or call the kings and offer him for Tyreke. it is a known fact that Pheonix will offer him the same MAX they offered Eric Gordon this summer.

Dallas is also desperate after dwight and D-will didnt go there and will offer him a max as well to squeeze 2 contending years out of Dirk

Weakest ankles in the NBA , hell nah

and Tyreke and Westbrook on the same team?????? ? NO
  • MC The Rapper
    Options
    OKC has all the leverage on this.

Worst case scenario for OKC: They re-sign, stay the same.
    Best case scenario for OKC: They trade him, get better.

The onus is on the Beard.

who are they going to get to replace him in a trade or otherwise .
  • Jdilla26
    Options
    why cant OKC just pay the tax? why does everyone assume they wont?
    B?C of the new CBA Luxury Tax has almost tripled my dude. Playing in Oklahoma City, it’s no guarantee that Clay Bennett and Sam Presti will be willing to pay a luxury tax the same way a team from Los Angeles, or another larger market area, would be willing to do so. The expected luxury tax threshold for 2013-14, when the Ibaka and Harden contracts kick in, is $72 million. Just in Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins, the Thunder has $53.9 million committed

• #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    keep him amnesty perkins

Honestly I think this is what's going to happen because out of all the deals and moves they have made so far Perkins is the one they kind of messed up on so far. Don't get it twisted Perkins is a very good low post defender and a okay rim protector but he wasn't worth as much as they paid him. Not to mention with the way the league is starting to play more small ball match ups his greatest asset is becoming pretty much useless.

• DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    idk, even tho he's a fouling machine they might need Perk more than ever now that the Lakeshow got Dwight. Im not sold on Thabeet goes on.
  • DaBull
    edited September 2012
    Options

Weakest ankles in the NBA , hell nah

and Tyreke and Westbrook on the same team?????? ? NO

lol im a laker fan, so you know what i was tryna do to OKC lol

also with Dwight in LA now, its hard to amnesty perkins now
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    idk, even tho he's a fouling machine they might need Perk more than ever now that the Lakeshow got Dwight. Im not sold on Thabeet goes on.

Yeah I feel you on the Perkins being really good at defending Howard one on one. I'm one of the few that wants to see how the Lakers gel and how Howard's back will be before I crown them though. But yeah they most definitely shouldn't get rid of Perkins until after this season is over with if they do get rid of him.

• Jdilla26
    Options
    i know that paying the tax isnt "simple"...and i wasnt trying to imply that it was, but you would have to think that the ROI you get from having him on your roster kinda evens out what you would pay for the tax...at some point the smaller market teams will have to pay to compete..the thing is they have to be careful they dont OVERpay for people to try and be competitive...if you value what Harden has meant to your organization in his time there...pay him...if you dont, then get what you can get for him now, but to even suggest just b/c OKC is a small market team they wont pay the tax is just kinda silly to me...
    Why do u think they had a lockout......small market teams were upset teams like Lakers Knicks would ? the market b/c they could afford the Luxury Tax one of the reasons the Luxury Tax rose..................The reason I said OKC wouldnt do the luxury tax b/c they are a small market b/c small market teams dont usually go over salary cap and pay that Tax
  • MC The Rapper
    Options
    You have to score the basketball every other contending team has some production coming off the bench . Your going have to pay someone regardless. Its only a few players that do what james harden does and they all make big money or are going to make big money .
  • DaBull
    edited September 2012
    Options
    You have to score the basketball every other contending team has some production coming off the bench . Your going have to pay someone regardless. Its only a few players that do what james harden does and they all make big money or are going to make big money .

yeah but there is no 6th man EVER in the history of the league that was signed to a MAX contract, thats a tad overboard which is y OKC is hesitant to pull da trigger. i personally think OJ mayo could do what harden does for OKC and he is like a 4 million per year player

jason terry was makin 9 million with Dallas

Odom was makin 8 million for the lakers

^^ last two 6th men on title teams out west.
  • Jdilla26
    Options
    they usually dont, but again, lets not act like OKC dont sell out games, dont sell jerseys, or get concessions or other ways of bringing revenue to the team. OKC has the benefit of being in a city that really doesnt compete with any other major sport. The Hornets will always compete with the Saints even though they are owned by the same guy (now). There are some people who do both, but from my experience, you are either or...

This conversation is about Harden. Im not saying OKC will do it for every player on their current roster, but if they believe this is the core they can build around then you have to at least imagine they will pay the tax. Their lottery days in the draft are over at least for the forseeable future, so they wont be getting top tier talent in the top of the draft and having them play on rookie contracts like they were able to do with their young core.

I hear u but @ the same time u can get value for Harden instead of paying the tax.....If Thunder dont sign him to a extension b4 10/31 he will become a restricted free-agent meaning same ? that happen with Lin and Omer somebody WILL sign Harden to ridiculous money and its up to OKC to match it
  • ShadyWorldOrder
    ShadyWorldOrder Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

LOL that would mean KD would never see ball with that type of backcourt
  • MC The Rapper
    Options

yeah but there is no 6th man EVER in the history of the league that was signed to a MAX contract, thats a tad overboard which is y OKC is hesitant to pull da trigger. i personally think OJ mayo could do what harden does for OKC and he is like a 4 million per year player

jason terry was makin 9 million with Dallas

Odom was makin 8 million for the lakers

^^ last two 6th men on title teams out west.

He's a six man by choice , if he goes to another team he wouldn't be the sixth man , like if the suns pay him do you think they would have him as a sixth man . ODOM/Jason Terry/OJ Mayo that role was thrusted upon them where Harden chose to come off the bench . Its kinda like Joe Johnson he got paid big , ? Eric Gordon got a max deal and hasn't really done anything his whole career . Demand determines the Value of a player not skill in the NBA
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    I would trade him... Trade him for a true PG.. And move Westbrook to the 2...

nah i dont think Westbrook can be effective in the slightest without dominating the ball

• inthacut
    inthacut Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i know that paying the tax isnt "simple"...and i wasnt trying to imply that it was, but you would have to think that the ROI you get from having him on your roster kinda evens out what you would pay for the tax...at some point the smaller market teams will have to pay to compete..the thing is they have to be careful they dont OVERpay for people to try and be competitive...if you value what Harden has meant to your organization in his time there...pay him...if you dont, then get what you can get for him now, but to even suggest just b/c OKC is a small market team they wont pay the tax is just kinda silly to me...

i see what your saying but i doubt they will.

Harden is extremely valuable to the Team i agree, but the most important pieces have already been locked up. Push comes to shove, i think they are gonna let him go. that luxury tax is no joke, expecially if he's trying to get some kinda max deal (u know he can get this on another squad). if u was in presti's shoes, would you keep him?
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some thirsty ass team gonna make OKC an offer they can't refuse.
  • ali-phx
    ali-phx Members Posts: 49
    Options
    Hard not to amnesty Perkins?? comes down to who you want more ... Harden or Perkins, Easy decision IMO. Plus Perkins is still hurt from injury w/ Boston, barely played in the Finals and overpaid. Ibaka/Collison/Nazr can produce more without him in the way and save bread. Surprised they haven't hit the amnesty button on him before this is became a question