i am not an african-american............it doesnt make any sense.

Options

Comments

• blackjack2012
    blackjack2012 Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so im the only one that cosigns that ? ???

it makes sense though..

i mean how many years do you and your ppl have to be in an area before you start saying that you came from there...i mean 400 years and they still calling ? african??

oin a 1000 years they're still gonna be saying african?
    what about black folks in england/UK..do they get called African english?

They get called black English

right..so why is black american offensive to some?

I don't know the answer to that ..but I do know that most black Americans don't even like Africans like that
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options

it makes sense though..

i mean how many years do you and your ppl have to be in an area before you start saying that you came from there...i mean 400 years and they still calling ? african??

so in a 1000 years they're still gonna be saying african?

i see what your saying but you have to put it in a perspective of lineage rather than nationality
  • UPTOWN
    Options
    When i say face you say palm

Face

palm
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Most "African Americans" are mutts anyway ,half black and half white.

U did not just post this dumb ?

Its not dumb if it is true, because most African americans have white ancestry anyway if you was to go into any city and gather 10 African Americans 5 males and 5 females I bet 7/10 of them would have white ancestry.

Well i mean if we gonna go with that, "white people" are Africans who had albinism who migrated north to escape the sun. Everybody is African goin back. All races are offshoots from Africa. But *shrugs*.
    Its just a way to connect with a heritage that was stolen unwillingly. I see nothin wrong with this statement (African American) Muhfuhs just gon have to be mad and nobody's gon stop.

But Africa isn't a country it's a continent where each country has it's own culture and sense of history and heritage...so by just saying African it's really not connecting to anything
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I
    a.mann wrote: »
    go to Africa...................any country there

you'll come to the harsh reality to exactly how American you are

and you more than likely will take pride in the ?

I've been to a few countries in Africa and it was all love. Most of the people were very friendly and many actually said welcome back home brother or sister to all of us Afro-Americans who were there. I will admit there is also the other side of the coin where some are quick to tell you that you aren't African at all but not everybody is that way.

I will admit when I do go outside of the country to a lot of these impoverished countries and see how they survive it does make me some what happy to be American also because most of our poor really doesn't know what it means to be truly poor.
  • UPTOWN
    Options
    ok what exactly is this convo getting at??

blacks are only now being referred to as African american. before that it was colored. before that it was ? . before that it was boy or ? , depending on the slave owner

ask yourself this

what name did blacks use before slavery??

and after slavery have blacks ever gave themselves their own identity??
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean my early ancestor came from Africa

But I'm not directly from Africa.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I

I've been to a few countries in Africa and it was all love. Most of the people were very friendly and many actually said welcome back home brother or sister to all of us Afro-Americans who were there. I will admit there is also the other side of the coin where some are quick to tell you that you aren't African at all but not everybody is that way.

I will admit when I do go outside of the country to a lot of these impoverished countries and see how they survive it does make me some what happy to be American also because most of our poor really doesn't know what it means to be truly poor.

I should have elaborated more in my post,which wasn't to illustrate that "pure" Africans have any animosity toward us Black Americans (although a great deal of them certainly do)

but more of the fact that we are just "not like them". Strictly from a culture view point alone.

The way we eat,walk,talk,dress, even smell. We are Americans.

And will have be treat with all the prestige, envy, resentment and jealous that go along with that.

Anyone black person that traveled outside the US will realize and accept this.

For any black person living in the projects with access to clean running water,heat,AC , cable TV, high speed internet etc,etc, etc, to go to a place like Conakry, Guinea and speak about the "hard times" black people have in America
    would be a complete and total insult to them

• KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options

it makes sense though..

oin a 1000 years they're still gonna be saying african?

They get called black English

right..so why is black american offensive to some?

I don't know the answer to that ..but I do know that most black Americans don't even like Africans like that

Where did u get that from?

I mean Im sure its like that for some and vice versa but I don't know how u come to the conclusion that its "most"
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think its pretty dumb and it creates even more separation between Americans. Either your African-American, Irish-American, Domincan-American, blah blah, but we all have American IDs & passports, we're all AMERICAN. ? all of the extra ? . I'm not saying forget your past and your heritage, but realize that we're all Americans. Didn't realize it until I traveled. Go to Sweden and regardless of what color you see they are all Swedish. Not African-Swedish (Unless they came fresh from Africa and immigrated).
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    90% of black folks in the West Society have cracka in them.

I don't because I'm dark as midnight.
  • KingJamal
    Options
    bkkbully wrote: »
    I think its pretty dumb and it creates even more separation between Americans. Either your African-American, Irish-American, Domincan-American, blah blah, but we all have American IDs & passports, we're all AMERICAN. ? all of the extra ? . I'm not saying forget your past and your heritage, but realize that we're all Americans. Didn't realize it until I traveled. Go to Sweden and regardless of what color you see they are all Swedish. Not African-Swedish (Unless they came fresh from Africa and immigrated).

Well it ain't like that here in AmeriKKKa

• #1hiphopjunki3
    Options
    I

I should have elaborated more in my post,which wasn't to illustrate that "pure" Africans have any animosity toward us Black Americans (although a great deal of them certainly do)

but more of the fact that we are just "not like them". Strictly from a culture view point alone.

And will have be treat with all the prestige, envy, resentment and jealous that go along with that.

For any black person living in the projects with access to clean running water,heat,AC , cable TV, high speed internet etc,etc, etc, to go to a place like Conakry, Guinea and speak about the "hard times" black people have in America

I agree 100% and thanks for clearing up what you mean. You are so correct with the fact that we are way different than our brotha's and sista's in Africa or anywhere else on the globe for that matter. You are also correct with the poverty situation.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options

I understand this from the standpoint of if we got rid of these undefinable, ignorant, outdated concept of "race" and stopped dividing with brothers and sisters (no matter how distant they may be) that Would be great and progress. Im kinda past that racial stuff anyway. I just discuss on here sometimes.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with being proud that you have African roots. I do feel that some folks that say they aren't African American don't really care about there linage or past ancestor's. Which is also fine to not care about that but I do feel it is some what sad that most African Americans don't know about there roots nor care about it. Most of the Anglo Saxons know and can trace there roots with ease and are proud of it but you have some Black folks here in the states that mock Africans and Africa as a whole and try there best to distance themselves from there ancestry
  • UPTOWN
    Options

my id is PA

not america
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    African american, Black american, ? American, ? American, Slave American, ya still ain't ? .

Chimps swear they're deep, while they worry about the most minuscule ? that's happening within the community

Side-note: i guess Asians should be called Yellow Americans, Jamaicains; ? Sauce Americans, And Mexicans Goya-Americans

#Sa7ut3 ?
  • theBlackbeard
    theBlackbeard Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember watching something on like PBS where black celeberities were looking at there heritage through DNA and that black ass Don Cheadle had white ancestry.....
  • KingJamal
    Options
    I remember watching something on like PBS where black celeberities were looking at there heritage through DNA and that black ass Don Cheadle had white ancestry.....
    I think one day im gonna do that african ancestry thing

africanancestry.com
  • theBlackbeard
    theBlackbeard Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    African american, Black american, ? American, ? American, Slave American, ya still ain't ? .

Chimps swear they're deep, while they worry about the most minuscule ? that's happening within the community

Side-note: i guess Asians should be called Yellow Americans, Jamaicains; ? Sauce Americans, And Mexicans Goya-Americans

#Sa7ut3 ?

Thank you for enlightening us with you superior intelligence sir, thanks you.

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if you black in America, chances are you have substantial European or Native ancestry. Doesn't matter how dark you are

#facts
  • UPTOWN
    Options
    yall cats need to look more into genetics

im saying fam .... slaves was getting ? but yall cats is postin like 100% of slaves were ? or mixed

what it all comes down to is if you have that neanderthal dna or not ? all that other ? . because for example if your ancestor mixed with spanish or sicilian, history already tells us they they them selves were heavily mixed. so when you say a person has eurpoean ancestory what are you really saying?? "european" genes are recessive anyway
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who gives a ? ? Not me. It's just a name. Anyone who consistently denounces their ancestry to Africa must really be ashamed of it. Your black American and although you may have a diverse lineage, the bulk of u has blood that can be traced all the way back west Africa. Deal with it and be proud. If u can't do that then shut hell up.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I

Pretty much, that Im black, you're black so we're both the same thing doesn't mean as much when you throw region, culture and language into the mix
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No plap post? This thread sucks.