The Official Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• bindayvez79
    bindayvez79 Members Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thought i would be tired of the album but I like it more and more everytime I hear it.
  • hiphopjedi
    hiphopjedi Members Posts: 5
    Options
    how much has it sold now? n i keep bumping this album since it came out
  • IResearch
    IResearch Members Posts: 287 ✭✭
    Options
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did someone say dominoes ?
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hiphopjedi wrote: »
    how much has it sold now? n i keep bumping this album since it came out

Like 850k
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    My least favorite song on GKMC is Backseat Freestyle..
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    dying of thirst and dont ? my vibe my favorites

wonder if the album gonna go plat
  • bindayvez79
    Options
    Sing about Me and m.A.A.d. city my Joints. I knew maad city was gonna be the ? when on my first listen I went back 4 times before i went to swimming pools. The energy on that song really made the album for me. I was already lovin' the album but that solidified it for me.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my original review I gave it 4 MICS but after about 5 months I have to bump it up to 4.5 MICS. The bonus cuts are serious. Love "The Recipe" but this song should of made the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtuBmzuMrJo
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont skip any tracks on this. ever.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CJ wrote: »
    Got his plat plaque today

http://rapdose.com/2013/06/30/kendrick-lamar-receives-platinum-plaque-for-good-kid-m-a-a-d-city

null_zps45ac6329.jpg

After performing at the BET Experience, Kendrick Lamar was honored with a platinum plaque for selling 1,000,000 copies of his critically-acclaimed album good kid, m.A.A.d. city. Congratulations to Kendrick and all of the TDE camp.

Good job, Kendrick.

The future of Hip Hop is much brighter now.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GKMC is classic, ? all that "gotta wait yrs" blah blah blah ? .

I'll be bumping this ? when im 40.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plat plaques ya bish
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now we a need a Money Trees video
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know he's been touring heavy, but I hope he working that short story idea.
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well deserved.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

SO i was bumping a few songs on the album last night coming home from work and it dawned on me......

Now IMO GKMC had the tangible elements of a great album down pat imo. Great production. Excellent vivid lyrics. Radio cuts. Features that dont feel forced or make the album seem crowded.

But the other traits that pops in the classic discussion is "what has this album done that no album before hasnt....or what style did this album pioneer....or how is this album a landmark testament to hip hop?"

I'll tell you (and correct me if im wrong)......

Prior to GKMC, I have NEVER heard a hip hop album that can be characterized in one word: survival. GKMC is an album about surviving Compton. But not as a direct participant like the many forerunners before Kendrick.

Not once in the album does Kendrck prop himself up as the the man. Or a tough guy. He's literally the average joe. Not even the most interesting character in his own story. In fact, he's the friend you'd laugh at years later for getting his ass beat chasing pus*y.

The true star of the story is Compton itself. Kendrick paints his hood as a complete and utter warzone; divided between rival neighborhoods and sets, and the cops, and destroyed by drug and alcohol use. In fact the tone of the entire album almost sounds like someone with PTSD wrote the album. But thats the beauty of the album to me. Ive long hated the contradictory tone of rapping about the hood ("IT SUCKS BUT I SHO LUV DEM SKREETS).....and while i'm sure Kendrick has love for Compton.....he pulls no punches in describing it as a black hole that he barely escaped from.

And thats where GKMC excels to that no album before has. You could make a case for Illmatic doing the same, but Illmatic is just as wrapped up in the East Coast braggadocio style as it was in its honest assessment of queensbridge...its a product of its time. GKMC is product of what Kanye West set in motion: complete and utter honesty in the art.

GKMC is PTSD in hip hop form.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options

SO i was bumping a few songs on the album last night coming home from work and it dawned on me......

Now IMO GKMC had the tangible elements of a great album down pat imo. Great production. Excellent vivid lyrics. Radio cuts. Features that dont feel forced or make the album seem crowded.

But the other traits that pops in the classic discussion is "what has this album done that no album before hasnt....or what style did this album pioneer....or how is this album a landmark testament to hip hop?"

I'll tell you (and correct me if im wrong)......

Prior to GKMC, I have NEVER heard a hip hop album that can be characterized in one word: survival. GKMC is an album about surviving Compton. But not as a direct participant like the many forerunners before Kendrick.

Not once in the album does Kendrck prop himself up as the the man. Or a tough guy. He's literally the average joe. Not even the most interesting character in his own story. In fact, he's the friend you'd laugh at years later for getting his ass beat chasing pus*y.

The true star of the story is Compton itself. Kendrick paints his hood as a complete and utter warzone; divided between rival neighborhoods and sets, and the cops, and destroyed by drug and alcohol use. In fact the tone of the entire album almost sounds like someone with PTSD wrote the album. But thats the beauty of the album to me. Ive long hated the contradictory tone of rapping about the hood ("IT SUCKS BUT I SHO LUV DEM SKREETS).....and while i'm sure Kendrick has love for Compton.....he pulls no punches in describing it as a black hole that he barely escaped from.

And thats where GKMC excels to that no album before has. You could make a case for Illmatic doing the same, but Illmatic is just as wrapped up in the East Coast braggadocio style as it was in its honest assessment of queensbridge...its a product of its time. GKMC is product of what Kanye West set in motion: complete and utter honesty in the art.

GKMC is PTSD in hip hop form.

I'd say OB4CL kinda did that. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, it wasn't a story about some major drug kingpins with the streets on lock. It was about two run of the mill street hustlers trying to make one last big score so they could kiss the drug game goodbye. In the course of that, on their homies (U-? 's character) gets killed, Ghost gets shot, and it ends with them managing to take out and enemy, but still be entrenched in the game. So I'd say GKMC is actually a brighter tale because it ends with Kendrick visualizing a way out. Rae seems to be resigned to his fate by the end of OB4CL.

That said, GKMC is a classic to me. I don't think an album has to do something that's never been done before to be a classic. At the end of the day, everything's been done. An classic album just has to do what it does on a very high level with its own identity. GKMC does that.
  • bindayvez79
    Options
    it's been out a year and still no one has topped the album yet. The closest was pusha's album and that wasn't even that close. best album this decade.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk bout decade bruh u reachin..but it is a classic album
This discussion has been closed.