What Was The Longest Book You Ever Read?

Options

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    well, the point I was trying to make was that it was not my opinion but rather the general popular consensus among Stephen King readers and of course I did base that on anecdotal evidence.
    that link is a good counterpoint; i'm just saying neither of us is really speaking FACT. also, i don't know why we're saying the Stand isn't a proper horror novel. at the very least, i don't know what other genre you'd categorize it in.

also, i can dismiss the Amazon list based on Wizard & Glass being #4. ? THAT
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steven King's The Dark Tower series is criminally slept on. It ties in and connects all his books together. Desperation and The Regulators are amazing as is Hearts in Atlantis and Misery.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1,000 pages + .... got damn .... longest book i read was huey p's revolutionary suicide .... like 400
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    well, the point I was trying to make was that it was not my opinion but rather the general popular consensus among Stephen King readers and of course I did base that on anecdotal evidence.
    that link is a good counterpoint; i'm just saying neither of us is really speaking FACT. also, i don't know why we're saying the Stand isn't a proper horror novel. at the very least, i don't know what other genre you'd categorize it in.

also, i can dismiss the Amazon list based on Wizard & Glass being #4. ? THAT

Wizard and Glass is actually an amazing novel, it humanizes Roland Of Gilead and explains the whole purpose in his quest for the Dark Tower.

My top 5 Stephen King novels in no order are The Stand, The Shining, Wizard and Glass, Desperation, and It.
  • janklow
    Options
    Steven King's The Dark Tower series is criminally slept on. It ties in and connects all his books together. Desperation and The Regulators are amazing as is Hearts in Atlantis and Misery.
    one, it's got legions of fans and has sold millions of books. it's the exact opposite of being "criminally slept on." two, the Regulators is the HOTTEST of garbage (although Desperation i think might actually be underrated). third, if you're someone who hates the attempt to tie everything to the damn DT business --this would be me-- then you probably don't think too much of the damn DT series.
    Wizard and Glass is actually an amazing novel, it humanizes Roland Of Gilead and explains the whole purpose in his quest for the Dark Tower.
    yeah, except that i have read it, hated it, and decided to not go any further into that nonsense as a result of it.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm about to start reading Hearts of Atlantis, heard it was great. I'm reading Danse Macabre right now, it's a favorite of mine I like to read on occasion around Halloween. Usually it gives me some great recommendations of classic stuff to check out for the season - it's a very quick, fun read for horror fans, highly recommended.

• A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    The Stand I could call a lot of things - fantasy, suspense, epic, sci-fi maybe, but I just don't find it very scary. the first 3rd is the best part of it all and the closet to horror when the plague is spreading and wiping out everybody but then on out the book drags and gets real boring to me. by the end I resent the Deus ex machina ending and other Christian allegories I find annoying. I used to like it as a teenager but when I re-read it as an adult it felt kinda juvenile and didn't hold up as a pure horror novel.
  • janklow
    Options
    The Stand I could call a lot of things - fantasy, suspense, epic, sci-fi maybe, but I just don't find it very scary.
    epic isn't really a genre. fantasy MAYBE, but this is also based on you not finding it incredibly scary. if that was the eliminator, then i can dismiss many of his books from the horror genre.

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have to include Gone with the Wind in the long ass book list.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The bible possibly
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe Gone With the Wind. Or the Bible.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The Bible back and forth (I went to Catholic School for a long time) and a huge encyclopedia I read a long time ago, had to be 400 pages
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The second sex
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Complete works of Aristotle. The other is the bible.
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Either the Stand or It by Stephen King. I don't know which is longer but they're both over a thousand pages.
    I think Under the Dome was over a thousand pages as well. Worst ending ever.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    The Stand I could call a lot of things - fantasy, suspense, epic, sci-fi maybe, but I just don't find it very scary.
    epic isn't really a genre. fantasy MAYBE, but this is also based on you not finding it incredibly scary. if that was the eliminator, then i can dismiss many of his books from the horror genre.

It's a subgenre

There are qualities specific to it, so discounting it completely seems a big excessive
  • Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From Pieces To Weight
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lord of the rings
  • janklow
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    It's a subgenre
    There are qualities specific to it, so discounting it completely seems a big excessive
    what i'm saying is that you'll end up saying a book is "epic fantasy" or some such thing, so you might as well not sweat epic as a genre.

• janklow
    Options
    Either the Stand or It by Stephen King. I don't know which is longer but they're both over a thousand pages.
    IT should be longer.

• obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably the Odyssey, but the Once and Future King felt the longest
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    huey wrote: »
    lord of the rings

The Lord of the Rings isn't a book it's a series of three books that are part of a trilogy.

• huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually it was split into 3 books when published
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The Iliad and a tom clancy book that name escapes me at the moment. Dude lost his family, ? a ? , ? got killed or ? (most likely both) got in his feelings over said ? , was an instructor for a special forces unit and moonlighted as a ? undercover to find the hookers killers. Both back in middle school.

And apparently the Lord of the Rings if huey is correct.

Been meaning to read Herodotus which would defiantly be up there but have been busy with other books/recently acquired short attention span
  • janklow
    Options
    Probably the Odyssey, but the Once and Future King felt the longest
    honestly, i would be willing to bet Once & Future King IS the longer book