Xbox 360 dashboard update rolls out from today

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in IllGaming

Personalised dashboard! Internet Explorer! The death of Zune!

600x-1

The latest Xbox 360 dashboard update goes live from today, with support for Internet Explorer, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, new personalisation options, improved search and more.

"Don't panic" if the system update takes its time to appear, Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb has reassured. It will hit three million consoles worldwide today and everyone else within the next two weeks.

Perhaps the biggest new additions are the Internet Explorer app and Microsoft's new Xbox Music service, which offers free, ad-supported streaming on Windows 8 PCs. Xbox 360 owners must pay £8.99 a month for the Xbox Music Pass.

Xbox Video is also included in the update. There's nothing new to see here - this is just Zune Video Marketplace under a new moniker. The name change cements the long-awaited demise of Microsoft's failed entertainment brand.

There are several nips and tucks to the dashboard's overall layout. TV and Video tabs have been melded into one TV & Movies section. Folks in the US get a new Sports area, while Quick Play has been re-named Recent.

The home screen now offers an option to "Pin" your favourite content to the Home screen for easy access - be it a TV series, game, or a website link for Internet Explorer.

Everyone's favourite search engine Bing also gets more features, including the ability to search for video across the web, including YouTube. Voice search capabilities are also finally included for Ireland, Canada, France, Japan, Mexico, Italy, Spain and Austria.

Comments

• kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    about ? time the internet explorer comes to XBL for everyone... damn.. that was the only thing PS3 had over 360
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol Microsoft wants to be like Sony sooooo bad.

• joshuaboy
    Options
    * Focus voice * Welcome to 2006 MS
  • kanggoodie
    Options
    Damn man.. i cant watch worldstar.. they gotta get flash integrated also
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the update hasn't gotten to me yet.....slowly updating your community over a span of two weeks is stupid
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    slowly updating your community over a span of two weeks is stupid

Whats stupider is never updating your community over a span of 6 years.

• joshuaboy
    Options
    focus wrote: »

Yea boy ................. Nintendo sucks
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

if u mad about it....write a letter to nintendo
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • earth two superman
    Options
    If you could do math correctly you wouldnt be in the British military.
  • focus
    edited October 2012
    Options
    LOL. You can always tell when somebody doesn't actually have or know anything about XBOX Live when they start talking about ads. The "ads" on XBOX Live are almost nonexistent. NONE of the boxes in that second pic are even "ads". Its not like a random McDonalds commercial, its actual content that can be found on XBOX Live. LOL. Games, movies, music, sports, apps, etc. Mind boggling for a PSN user apparently. LOL.
  • kanggoodie
    Options
    whats funny is in the newer picture there isnt any more ads than the first pic ... those are app related ads.. not retail .. as in matter of fact.. there isnt an ad on the second pic.. the only ad on the first one was the car commercial lmao epic fail @earthtwosuperman
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol gotdamn what a fail
  • kanggoodie
    Options
    thats what he get trying to troll
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    about ? time the internet explorer comes to XBL for everyone... damn.. that was the only thing PS3 had over 360

They should have been included IE on the 360 though. I hope whenever I get the update that it IE browser is better than PS3's.

• willhustle
    Options

They should have been included IE on the 360 though. I hope whenever I get the update that it IE browser is better than PS3's.

• CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • earth two superman
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Wow the arcade ? came out in full force for this one lmao

Maybe I'm seeing something you're not. But I see a dashboard, the first thing I see when I power up my system, advertising a movie, a band, a game, and an online service that I could give less than a ? about. I never said anything about McDonald's (shows what ure all thinking of)

Best defense you come up with is that those are services u get on xbl? Well ? I would hope so. Why would you advertise something that you can't give? It's still an ad. Or is it stuff I already have saved on my 360?

And I'm pretty sure I can get hunger games, YouTube, etc on ps3. I just don't get reminded of it as soon as I boot up. That seems to be the big difference here. In ps3 u go to the store. On 360 it comes to u, like it or not. But if I'm wrong, hell, let me know.
  • focus
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Wow the arcade ? came out in full force for this one lmao

Maybe I'm seeing something you're not. But I see a dashboard, the first thing I see when I power up my system, advertising a movie, a band, a game, and an online service that I could give less than a ? about. I never said anything about doritos or McDonald's (shows what ure all thinking of)

Best defense you come up with is that those are services u get on xbl? Well ? I would hope so. Why would you advertise something that you can't give? It's still an ad. Or is it stuff I already have saved on my 360?

And I'm pretty sure I can get hunger games, YouTube, etc on ps3. I just don't get reminded of it as soon as I boot up. That seems to be the big difference here. In ps3 u go to the store. On 360 it comes to u, like it or not. But if I'm wrong, hell, let me know.

LOL. An emotional rant. You failed, epically at that. Just deal with it. Dont nobody got time to explain to you what an ad is, or the nuances of XBOX Live. Just stick to barebones PSN, something you can comprehend, and stop trying so hard. #savefacefail LOL
  • earth two superman
    Options
    The only way I'd fail is if I paid for a service that asks me to buy the hunger games and dance central lol
  • earth two superman
    Options

LOL. An emotional rant. You failed, epically at that. Just deal with it. Dont nobody got time to explain to you what an ad is, or the nuances of XBOX Live. Just stick to barebones PSN, something you can comprehend, and stop trying so hard. #savefacefail

Focus Romney so mad he broke out his urban speak. He don't got nobody lmao
  • focus
    edited October 2012
    Options
    LOL @earthtwosuperman responding to himself 25 mins later, still feeling some kinda way, but he swears he thought of something good to say. LMAO.

Nobody cares anymore. The fail is solidified. LOL. #stillnosaveface
  • Cigarello Slim
    Cigarello Slim Members Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn man.. i cant watch worldstar.. they gotta get flash integrated also

Word that's my only gripe so far. I haven't tried logging on to the IC from there yet. They finally fixed YouTube on my end it wasn't working for the longest, now all they have to do is put the ability to watch your favorite videos back on their and I'll be good.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone got this ? yet? Still waiting.
  • willhustle
    Options
    I just got my update this morning the new update is ? and 360's internet browser >>>> PS3's internet browser.