No love for Gambit?

Options
124»

Comments

• ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess that fits him. That's basically the team of rogues and antiheroes anyway.

1381430830.jpg
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    That Astonishing team is a weird one.

And I got mixed up with my original comment. You said X-Factor and I was thinking X-Force.
  • ShencotheMC
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Okay, now I'll be honest and tell you that I'm a huge Gambit fan. Dude's been my favorite character since he showed up, and I've been jaded with the past few years of this dude basically being wallpaper, whether it be turning into a cuckold and simping over Rogue or getting cracked in the face by Captain America, anything with homie in a positive and stronger light was gonna get an A+ from me. Which brings me to the fact that with the solo and Liu's run with Astonishing, Gambit has had a good year imo.

Now that's not to say that Asmus ain't bring the heat, but that's just something to think about. Okay first off, I loved the inner monologue that went on through this whole run. We got to see what he thought about recent events in his life like getting done ? by Rogue, what his life has come to, wanting to get back into the thief game, and how he plans ? out and operates...which is pretty much improvisation with a whole bunch of swag and style...with some skills and intelligence mixed in there too lol.

Synopsis (imma try to do this without spoiling a bunch): Gambit basically gets bored with the teaching and hero life and has the itch to get back in the thieving game. He does this, teams up with another thief Joelle, and they get into some ? with like ancient deities and whatnot. Then they separate and Gambit gets into some ? with a Russian mob boss and has to do some work for him. Gambit gets out of it thanks to Pete Wisdom and MI:13. Then he hears about Joelle being in trouble so he decides to help her out, they get into some ? , then the last like 6 issues of the book are about gambit taking it back to his roots.

Favorite Part of the book: The club with no-names. That issue was effing hilarious. It was classic Gambit. I also love how they pretty much took Gambit back to basics. Dude's a master thief and plays both sides of the fence. He did just that in this run. Plus the thieve's Guild is back and he is running an enclave as well.

Least favorite part of the book: I honestly enjoyed a ? ton in this book, but if I had to say what part I hated...I would have liked Gambit to have kicked a little more ass. I understand Asmus wanted to show how intelligent and resourceful, and strategic gambit is, but I would've liked to see him ? more ? in the face like he did Batroc in issue 9
    Gambit+009-17.jpg

Attention to small details: I loved the fact that Liu and Asmus actually discussed how they were gonna work on the character together. Wolverine mentioned all of Gambit's solo adventures a couple times during Astonishing. Also in an issue of Astonishing Mystique gave Gambit 3 kittens, in Gambit's solo book, the 3 kittens are there. I love ? like that because that could have easily been retconned, but dude actually took the time to pay attention to details.

Little nitpicks: The ? art man. So inconsistent throughout the whole run. I don't know what Mann had going on, but it was like they couldn't get dude for 2 issues in a row until the end. Substitute artists galore on this run. I also hated how supposedly Marvel denied Asmus access to some other characters. Dude had a whole plan of Gambit and Black Cat doing jobs with each other and ? . He had some plans with another character but I forgot who it was supposed to be

Favorite issue: Issue #10 with that ? zombies and Rogue coming through after him and Joelle was sitting in melted snow surviving from hypothermia half-naked and shizz.

Least Favorite issue: Issue #8. It was pretty much one of those stand alone issues that worked a segue to another arc and ? . Not bad, it did what it was meant to do.

Looking ahead: Asmus and Liu have pretty much brought Gambit back to being a respectable character. Now I can't wait to see what PAD has to offer with this All-New X-factor. I've already heard that Gambit will pretty much have Madrox's role where it's like the comic is from his POV. Which tells me that he's gonna be a big part of the book and that eventually Lorna will nut out and he'll take over the reigns. I also hope he smashes Polaris as well. No romance(well if it's built up well I'll cosign it), just ? her. I also hope one of the three characters they plan to introduce in that book is Sage. Umm it looked like at the end of the book Gambit got a power upgrade back to before Sinister took out a piece of his brain (reference to Gambit vol. 3 Nicieza's run I believe). So that should be interesting. I mean PAD has said it'll be taking off right from where Gambit left off at the end of this book so let's see.

I also want to see this whole falling out with the X-men that leads him to join up with Serval's X-factor. Let's keep it real, the X-men have treated Gambit like ? for a cool minute now. He single-handedly saved the whole mutant race in Messiah Complex. Cyclops and them ? ain't know wtf was going on, but Gambit was two steps ahead of everybody the whole time(Don't believe me? Read the ? ), and what happened when he got back to Utopia? Wolverine's ? ass in the cut talking bout' some " Don't betray us again or I'll gut ya." ? shut your ? ass up. Anyways I hope it's some ill ? to why he leaves because the Marvel Universe is filled with nothing but hypocrites atm and I want dude as far away from the ? as possible. So just gotta go through a couple months with no Gambit and see the homie come back strong to begin 2014

Overall Review of James Asmus' run of Gambit vol. 5: 8.5/10
    Absolute must-read if you a Gambit fan.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Used to be my favorite when I was a kid. I liked to play cards and loved women, so I thought dude was like me. It might be the French thing that hurts his publicity. Foreign anything in the movies is hard for hollywood to do back; and you can't do Gambit without that Cajun accent. Hollywood gets so scared or stupid and it's obvious in Wolverine. Wolverine was supposed to be 5"2 or 5"3 at the tallest and in the comic books it is referred to alot; but you see Hugh Jackman did away with that. Maybe it'scause Jackman is the best actor and it's hard for anyone 5"3 in Hollywood but that's kinda the whole point again about Wolverine. He's supposed to stand out from the norm for more than just his healing and claws. But f him. I'd ride with Gambit and pick up some ? 's
  • ShencotheMC
    Options

I know it's a joke, but pure ignorance of dude's powers
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I know it's a joke, but pure ignorance of dude's powers

My thoughts exactly.
  • ShencotheMC
    Options