So how ugly would it get if THIS happened on Election Day

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in The Social Lounge
KDK2012101801-map4(small).png

12th Amendment kicks in.

...the new House of Representatives would pick the president: each of the 50 delegations would get a single vote. Given that Republicans are almost assuredly going to control a solid majority of House delegations in the next Congress, Romney would win.

We don’t have a dog in this race, but we are rooting for one thing: no tie! A 269-269 Electoral College outcome would inevitably be a national crisis on par — or worse — with the 2000 Florida cliffhanger, especially if Romney lost the popular vote.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/101812eleccollegeupdate/

Comments

• Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    State of Emergency 3
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That sucks that Romney would win.... the whole electoral college is ?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited October 2012
    Options
    on the other hand, people only get bothered by the electoral college when they don't think it will benefit their candidate, so you might as well come to terms with the system

EDIT: uh-oh, turns out this post has got Topps' emotions going again!
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go out and vote, people.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    Go out and vote, people.
    ^ this.

Obama leads among REGISTERED VOTERS. He's TIED among LIKELY VOTERS.

Basically...it's all about turnout. But u know people arent going to go out and vote this time around.

BTW Nevada& Iowa will likely go Obama. He just needs to hold on to Ohio & NH and it's a wrap. If he can pull out Virginia (a state which is called early in the night) then it's a wrap. If u see Obama wins Virginia u know it's over.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Go out and vote, people.
    ^ this.

Basically...it's all about turnout. But u know people arent going to go out and vote this time around.

BTW Nevada& Iowa will likely go Obama. He just needs to hold on to Ohio & NH and it's a wrap. If he can pull out Virginia (a state which is called early in the night) then it's a wrap. If u see Obama wins Virginia u know it's over.

I agree but don't discount how important Florida is either. Romney is ahead there now, so it won't take much for Romney to win if he holds Florida and NC, which he is now. Based on early turnout though, it looks like Obama is gona win again, but obviously it's not over.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    All he needs is a combination of two states from
    Virginia, Colorado, Ohio, New Hampshire, and Florida on it's own. The rest of the states that are close are such as Nevada, Iowa, Wisconsin, and PA are in the bag.
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If that scenario in the first post happens, then ? is gonna hit the fan biiiiiiig time. LA '92 wont have anything to say about it :-O
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Am I the only one here that thinks the voting system/electoral college is a complete FRAUD and a HOAX?
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Go out and vote, people.
    ^ this.

I agree but don't discount how important Florida is either. Romney is ahead there now, so it won't take much for Romney to win if he holds Florida and NC, which he is now. Based on early turnout though, it looks like Obama is gona win again, but obviously it's not over.

Romney is likely going to win Florida. Obama is too far behind now after the first debate to come back in Florida.

Fivethirtyeight.com has Obama winning the electorial college. But I wouldnt be surprise if he loses a close one on election night.

GOnna be a lot of upside down frowns. Just hope its not on the Obama side.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Am I the only one here that thinks the voting system/electoral college is a complete FRAUD and a HOAX?
    yes. you're also the only one here who keeps posting crazy "i am the only one here" posts.

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its gonna be CLOSE. But Obama will still pull it off.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    President Romney and Vice-President Biden? It won't come to that.

The electoral college is unavailing.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    ? would be real ugly if Mitt wins
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Nah you're probably right homie.

i can still vote for ron paul right?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VOTE.. and dont be lazy and cop-out on that tired lesser of two evils diatribe.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i got a feeling something crazy will happen
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aint going to happen, republican are praying for that to happen, you can add NV to the blue and mark my word OBAMA is going to get Flordia
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Uglier than the Master P sneaker
  • eyezchineezz
    eyezchineezz Members Posts: 3
    Options
    Obama nor romney will do ? for the country i believe... the USA is already heading in a direction that i doubt any of these candidates can deviate. a direction its been heading for for years.. maybe since the time of kennedy. nobody can stop that.. we can only brace ourselves.. but i dont see these guys being able to do anything.. no matter who is president people will always complain that he is responsible and that things arent changing..
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Uglier than the Master P sneaker

LOL
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Obama nor romney will do ? for the country i believe... the USA is already heading in a direction that i doubt any of these candidates can deviate. a direction its been heading for for years.. maybe since the time of kennedy. nobody can stop that.. we can only brace ourselves.. but i dont see these guys being able to do anything.. no matter who is president people will always complain that he is responsible and that things arent changing..

Sad but true. Until both candidates have a serious plan on fixing the economy instead of tax cuts and deficit spending, this country is screwed. Legalizing or at LEAST fighting to legalize medical marijuana would be a good start, and ending these dumb wars overseas to spend more money here (while trying to save and pay back the debt) is another good start. If I'm wrong, I wana hear better ideas.

• kingblaze84
    Options
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if this did happen, I could see some democrats like bob casey from pennsylvania claire mcaskill from Missiouri joe manchin from west virginia caving in and voting for ryan. it wouldnt cost them votes, because two of them would be fresh off from re-election, and the other guy from WV would only be on his third year in the senate. Plus these three states are safe from democrats taking more moderate votes with out facing alot of liberal backlash
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the polls don't mean a thing