PlayStation 3 is completely hacked, with PSN access

Options
grumpy_new_yorker
grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in IllGaming
How poetic is it that less than day after Sony is cleared of almost any wrongdoings in the PSN hack, the PS3 is hacked to bits. In what could only be described as the ultimate hack, the hacking community has released a version of PS3 firmware that can now give modders access to PSN. The catch is that you have to be running firmware version 3.55 or lower to be able to mount this custom firmware. Version 3.6 made it incredibly difficult for anyone to hack the PS3 in its current state. That means we might see a lot more hacked PS3s gaming online, but this isn’t the bad news though…

The bad news is, after this firmware was released free to the public, another team of hackers called the “The Three Tusketeers” have released the LV0 decryption key for the PS3. This means that once the firmware is mounted, hackers can decrypt any new updates that Sony might try to send to the console. Even if Sony tries to change passphrase, hackers can repackage the new updates as ver. 3.55 and run the new features on the hacked console. The Tusketeers had apparently been sitting on this key for some time, but didn’t want to release it before the custom firmware was made public. That way no one would profit from their hard work. So today is a bad day for PlayStation.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/playstation-3-completely-hacked-psn-access

inevitable psn hack is on the horizon...

good news for game pirates. bad news for everyone else.

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol I was about to say how is this bad news? If I wasnt already updated with the latest I would do it
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But would we be able to play online running 3.55?
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol I was about to say how is this bad news? If I wasnt already updated with the latest I would do it

"The release of the new custom firmware - and the LV0 decryption keys in particular - poses serious issues. While Sony will almost certainly change the PSN passphrase once again in the upcoming 4.30 update, the reveal of the LV0 key basically means that any system update released by Sony going forward can be decrypted with little or no effort whatsoever. Options Sony has in battling this leak are limited - every PS3 out there needs to be able to decrypt any firmware download package in order for the console to be updated (a 2006 launch PS3 can still update directly to the latest software). The release of the LV0 key allows for that to be achieved on PC, with the CoreOS and XMB files then re-encrypted using the existing 3.55 keys in order to be run on hacked consoles."

With the release of the LV0 key, the only way Sony could fix this problem is:

a) Recall all systems and re-encrypt each individual system.

b) Release brand new hardware.
    joshuaboy wrote: »

yes. full psn access.
  • joshuaboy
    edited October 2012
    Options

"The release of the new custom firmware - and the LV0 decryption keys in particular - poses serious issues. While Sony will almost certainly change the PSN passphrase once again in the upcoming 4.30 update, the reveal of the LV0 key basically means that any system update released by Sony going forward can be decrypted with little or no effort whatsoever. Options Sony has in battling this leak are limited - every PS3 out there needs to be able to decrypt any firmware download package in order for the console to be updated (a 2006 launch PS3 can still update directly to the latest software). The release of the LV0 key allows for that to be achieved on PC, with the CoreOS and XMB files then re-encrypted using the existing 3.55 keys in order to be run on hacked consoles."

With the release of the LV0 key, the only way Sony could fix this problem is:

a) Recall all systems and re-encrypt each individual system.

b) Release brand new hardware.

Or make the jump to PS4 sooner

yes. full psn access.

Good stuff
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as it doesnt give players unfair advantages playing online, just fine with me.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as it doesnt give players unfair advantages playing online, just fine with me.

why else would they do it.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sony and Playstation fan boys stay catching L's.
  • Piffawana
    Piffawana Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    Options
    This is good news.
    They trying to milk every cent out of the community with their online pass and ? .
    Games costing 70€

I need to see this ? working with new updates given out. The important thing is it needs to be easy for the public. Not everyone is a computer nerd. Ill read it and look it up more later, notime now.
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

err .............. FREE GAMES!!
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    Sony and Playstation fan boys stay catching L's.

How do PS owners catch L's? If anything this gives us the access to free games like hacked 360 and Wii owners, hopefully without the banhammer 360 gets.
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    psn stay losing
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Cant understand why people put up with this console? Its always hacked or down it seems. But I guess its not a big deal to the PS3 owners because they don't really play online like that anyway. This would never be acceptable on XBOX Live. The online play is more "? " on 360.
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Cant understand why people put up with this console? Its always hacked or down it seems. But I guess its not a big deal to the PS3 owners because they don't really play online like that anyway. This would never be acceptable on XBOX Live. The online play is more "? " on 360.
    Didn't read....lol
  • joshuaboy
    Options

Yet, the 360 (and Wii) have been and still is easily hackable from Day 1
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how are fans catching L's they had to upgrade the hardware for 360 just to get the ? we got at launch..
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always hacked? This is the second time in six years the ps3 has been hacked and Sony fixed that problem....ans this new hack doesn't even effect online play....what is this clown talkin about? ...this boofa is the Sarah Palin of the arcade.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

but how many times has the 360 or wii has been hacked? or matter of fact neither one of those have ever experienced what sony experienced last year.....oops lol
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

but how many times has the 360 or wii has been hacked? or matter of fact neither one of those have ever experienced what sony experienced last year.....oops lol

come on son....PSN was hacked by ANONYMOUS because the were ? about what they were doing to geohot.....those dudes have hacked governmanet tun websites...if you think nintendo(as if they have an online worth hacking) or microsoft couldnt get got....you foolish....and besides who needs to hack live?....they too busy banning their own members because of their community using hack and cheats
  • joshuaboy
    Options

Seriously? The 360 and the Wii hacks have never been fixed. You can play free games on them anytime you want. MS just bans them once a year, but the hack in intact. The PS3 system hack lasted a couple weeks.

If this holds up, I'm getting a 2nd system and getting it hacked for sure.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's always the same lames waiting to bash Sony. ? is old. Grown men still on that fanboy ? lol.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

• vageneral08
    Options

Seriously? The 360 and the Wii hacks have never been fixed. You can play free games on them anytime you want. MS just bans them once a year, but the hack in intact. The PS3 system hack lasted a couple weeks.

If this holds up, I'm getting a 2nd system and getting it hacked for sure.

Ok but what has happened since then? nothing......the new 360 doesnt play burned games online so ? wont fly either way I havent heard much about those burned games being played as much anyway so oh well
  • vageneral08
    Options

come on son....PSN was hacked by ANONYMOUS because the were ? about what they were doing to geohot.....those dudes have hacked governmanet tun websites...if you think nintendo(as if they have an online worth hacking) or microsoft couldnt get got....you foolish....and besides who needs to hack live?....they too busy banning their own members because of their community using hack and cheats

I could care less why they were mad they hacked the ? out of them period vaulable info was at a big ass risk.....I never said nintendo or mircosoft could get hacked I just said they never been thru what sony was going thru last year and sony took a big ass lost as far as money goes so if it took all of that for sony to upgrade that weak ass sercurity program they had then that's on them period no matter how you try to change it up
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

err .............. FREE GAMES!!

^^^^this....closed thread
    been playing free PS3 games since Metal gear solid 4