What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

What's missing in rap right now

white715white715 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in The Reason
Sittin here listening to GKMC and even though I like the album it is missing something, that west coast sound. Not even to say you have to have a Dre sound or a Quik sound or a 90s sound but production it kinda sounds like everything else.

It seems like all these young artists have to same sound.

I'm not trying to be one of those cats that tells people how to make their music I'm just saying I miss that signature sound of a region and an artists signature sound within that region.
tumblr_m5sbvcTDfR1rp9rj8o1_250.gif
«1

Replies

  • jayeightjayeight Posts: 119
    edited October 2012
    I agree, gkmc is a damn good album though and on the west coast thing, the other half of the mad city track kinda makes it up for me. Overall its westcoast but not like the 90's its synth's and experimental stuff now. Track #11 is a example of today's westcoast music
  • white715white715 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    El Payaso wrote: »
    So you say all the new young cats have to same sound. OK and that's what you're bitching about right?
    But then you say, they are missing that signature West coast sound. Which would be them all sounding the same right?

    Do you understand why someone might think you are drunk right now, or just fucking stupid?

    Read the entire post b, I said GKMC was missing a wescoast sound because thats where he is from, but on a whole all the new cats are missing their respective regional sounds.
    tumblr_m5sbvcTDfR1rp9rj8o1_250.gif
    El Payaso
  • JDSTAYWITITJDSTAYWITIT .........Tell your mother she has a cute mouth #GIANTS #2014/2012/2010 #FUCK.KCPosts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Region Rap Is A Dying Artform Bruh ............. Has Been For Some Time


    ..........The Game Needs Balance To Answer Your Question
    CHAMPION.

    2dvmqeh.jpg
    B1Khl_OCIAAFOUD.jpg



    West$ide.
    haute
  • shtoopidshtoopid Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    asap rocky chopping & screwing his vocals, rapping about sipping lean, and gripping woodgrain.
    drake, wiz khalifa, 2 chainz, and mannie fresh, are rapping on bay/la beats.
    white boys in germany are making gritty ny boombap.
    everybody & they mama have a song to a lex luger beat.

    lets be honest. there's no such thing as a regional sound anymore, and there hasn't been for a while.
    jayeight
  • ImTheKangRoundHereImTheKangRoundHere Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pac and biggie
    tumblr_mhrbesjcOx1rqrau3o1_500.gif[img][/img]
  • StillFaggyAFStillFaggyAF Queer LGBT CommunityPosts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a terrible criticism of the kendrick album

    LvbxPzB.gif

    tumblr_nhmcjbdFri1snb2l4o5_r1_500.gif
    full?d=1430459989


  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentPosts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    fan support...
    cats of older generations seem to have abandoned the culture which has led to an arrested development...
    there is good music and diversity all around... it just needs support...
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    versatility..

    everybody wanna follow the blueprint of the nigga thats making money.

    no one wants to be the one to stand alone. thats why i kinda like drake...he kinda stands alone but hes gettin sucked into the thug tough talk shit too.

    hiphop is also missing loyal fans...

    to many niggas get on some jealousy type shit or some he didnt respond to a diss so i dont like him no more emotional shit.

    think about 50 vs kanye
    niggas cant tell me 50 is still corny when he constantly drops heat on his mix tapes but not good radio friendly music like niggas still listen to the radio. niggas was buying two and three kanye albums just to spite 50 and make kanye win.
    you have the dude who is naturally thorough -Alpha
    you have the dude that wants to be thorough so he pretend to be Alpha -Beta
    then you have the nigga who wants to hang with the first two to be seen and grab any dropped crumbs.- Omega

    I am still struggling between blocks to get from the have nots to the have yachts and I won't be stopped.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HhTZZdVbjio


  • Mr.LVMr.LV Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fan support around this time of October 2011 Drake dropped take care that album moved 660,000 copies in one week Kendrick is going to expand his fan base around his second album because with this first album he dropped this is the first time some listeners being introduced to Kendrick.

    But fan support is the one thing hip hop has to regain, because fans they will spend $20-$200 for some tickets to a live show for that artist but when the album drops they not putting down the $10 for the album.

    izsej6W8x1bly.png
  • antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    shtoopid wrote: »
    asap rocky chopping & screwing his vocals, rapping about sipping lean, and gripping woodgrain.
    drake, wiz khalifa, 2 chainz, and mannie fresh, are rapping on bay/la beats.
    white boys in germany are making gritty ny boombap.
    everybody & they mama have a song to a lex luger beat.

    lets be honest. there's no such thing as a regional sound anymore, and there hasn't been for a while.

    them beats YG be rhyming and them jerk beats are still pretty much regional to the west coast ;)


  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims Posts: 4,611
    8:29AM
    versatility..

    everybody wanna follow the blueprint of the nigga thats making money.

    no one wants to be the one to stand alone. thats why i kinda like drake...he kinda stands alone but hes gettin sucked into the thug tough talk shit too.

    hiphop is also missing loyal fans...

    to many niggas get on some jealousy type shit or some he didnt respond to a diss so i dont like him no more emotional shit.

    think about 50 vs kanye
    niggas cant tell me 50 is still corny when he constantly drops heat on his mix tapes but not good radio friendly music like niggas still listen to the radio. niggas was buying two and three kanye albums just to spite 50 and make kanye win.

    drake aint anything new either. His rapping is a carbon copy of lil wayne and at the same time his so called R&B writing is vastly over rated not to mention the nigga cant sing just like the many cant sing rappers who sang hooks like drake.

    559833_448570031895809_125247706_n.jpg
  • aladdin1978aladdin1978 Poo Poo Jenkins- pronounced Pow POW West coastin'Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Integrity.
    CTtJgKpXIAAPxX5.jpg
  • Little JJLittle JJ Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm what the game's been missing and I will prove this to all of yall before my 25th birthday.
    I Run ATLANTA!
    ic50.jpg
    I am one of Atlanta's TOP Club Promoters!
  • antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Fan support around this time of October 2011 Drake dropped take care that album moved 660,000 copies in one week Kendrick is going to expand his fan base around his second album because with this first album he dropped this is the first time some listeners being introduced to Kendrick.

    But fan support is the one thing hip hop has to regain, because fans they will spend $20-$200 for some tickets to a live show for that artist but when the album drops they not putting down the $10 for the album.

    thats what the game is missing quality albums ... i dont blame fans .... why buy the album when its only 3 good songs on it ... and folks pay to see the artist perform ... cause they get to see them live ... plus when it comes to that album YOU DIDNT BUY ... that same artist who is mad you didnt buy the album is most likely only going perform those 3 good songs off the album ............ things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol ;)
  • Mr.LVMr.LV Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    antarticp wrote: »
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Fan support around this time of October 2011 Drake dropped take care that album moved 660,000 copies in one week Kendrick is going to expand his fan base around his second album because with this first album he dropped this is the first time some listeners being introduced to Kendrick.

    But fan support is the one thing hip hop has to regain, because fans they will spend $20-$200 for some tickets to a live show for that artist but when the album drops they not putting down the $10 for the album.

    thats what the game is missing quality albums ... i dont blame fans .... why buy the album when its only 3 good songs on it ... and folks pay to see the artist perform ... cause they get to see them live ... plus when it comes to that album YOU DIDNT BUY ... that same artist who is mad you didnt buy the album is most likely only going perform those 3 good songs off the album ............ things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol ;)
    People will buy a album if they have a connection to the artist of there is no connection they simply will not buy it.

    izsej6W8x1bly.png
  • thulsadoomthulsadoom do 10 pushups everytime you read my post... you know you want too. Posts: 61,609 Regulator
    raw hunger.
    competition.


    hip hop is a reflection of the current trend of "i'm entitled" thats plaguing these youths.

    everybody winning right now, except for bow wow...
    HOW THE FUCK IS THAT POSSIBLE?!?!

    if i were an FBI Agent tasked with monitoring a forum, I'd post random pictures and watch the reactions of the people.
    j3xxbrubogcz1kewbepy.gif

    Você é um otário. Zé buceta. Vai tomar no meio do seu cu. Filho da puta. Arrombado
    King Of The Onomatopoeia
  • Ajackson17Ajackson17 On the shoulders of Giants and Elders in history UniversePosts: 22,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are missing positive music that is uplifting and songs that can be used in an anime.
    tumblr_mb0d6eD9dS1r7bmo8o1_500.gif


  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Region Rap Is A Dying Artform Bruh ............. Has Been For Some Time


    ..........The Game Needs Balance To Answer Your Question

    exactly. Asap don't sound like he's from Harlem, Cole don't sound like he's form NC, etc. Your sound should come natural, you shouldn't try to fit into a box based on where your from you should be making the best music possible. I like the sounds of every region but I could care less if an artist stays true to their region....
    jameshardenmixesitupovernets.gif?w=650
    harden_rubio_0_1428406554.gif
    JDSTAYWITIT
  • soul rattlersoul rattler Chief Petty Officer of the Ill Community Naval Command HOOYAHPosts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    white715 wrote: »
    Sittin here listening to GKMC and even though I like the album it is missing something, that west coast sound. Not even to say you have to have a Dre sound or a Quik sound or a 90s sound but production it kinda sounds like everything else.
    Did you listen to "Compton"? The end of that song was in direct reference to the 90's Westcoast sound i.e. "California Love".
    do you understand what im getting at?? WHAT WHITE PPL THINK, AND WHAT THEY DEFINE THINGS AS IS NOT THE STANDARD YOU SHOULD BE GOING BY. That is of course, if you are not mentally defeated by the complex of white supremacy, where everything whites do is the "right" way, where having straight hair and lightskin is "beautiful" but dark skin and nappy hair is "ugly"
    You're doing it wrong. You take one and really fuck them up; make an example to the other kids. Like grab the small bitch and gouge her eyes out with your thumbs. Then curb stomp her.
    Wiggars

    I'm too militant
    For you shithead crakkka hoes
    I hope you all die
  • b@squ1@t redux[email protected]@t redux i can tell by your mustache youve never been involved in street activities iguana blood poseidon DNA slangin zeus dickPosts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    more dead rappers
    sad shmurda

    Untitled.png
  • king hassanking hassan south side somewherePosts: 22,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balance
  • southernmadesouthernmade Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    even though it was a bit of a let down Krit's album sounds like a Real southern album.....no trap beats and no drake sounding beats...I believe he made a regional sounding album....that also could be the reason why it didnt do so well
  • antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    antarticp wrote: »
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Fan support around this time of October 2011 Drake dropped take care that album moved 660,000 copies in one week Kendrick is going to expand his fan base around his second album because with this first album he dropped this is the first time some listeners being introduced to Kendrick.

    But fan support is the one thing hip hop has to regain, because fans they will spend $20-$200 for some tickets to a live show for that artist but when the album drops they not putting down the $10 for the album.

    thats what the game is missing quality albums ... i dont blame fans .... why buy the album when its only 3 good songs on it ... and folks pay to see the artist perform ... cause they get to see them live ... plus when it comes to that album YOU DIDNT BUY ... that same artist who is mad you didnt buy the album is most likely only going perform those 3 good songs off the album ............ things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol ;)
    People will buy a album if they have a connection to the artist of there is no connection they simply will not buy it.

    if the album is good curiosity will pull anyone in ... if the album is garbage even if you got a connection you aint buying that shit .... let nas drop a dud i aint spending no $$$$$$ on it ......
  • antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    We are missing positive music that is uplifting and songs that can be used in an anime.

    lol funny you mentioned that my nephews are anime fiends ... and they put me on to this dude that does that ... he found a nice little niche to get his rhymes out and his content is connecting the youth ... and hes getting mad plays on the youtube ......... hes got a nice lane folks is sleepin on
    Ajackson17
Sign In or Register to comment.