Trace the Dynastic Lineage of Hip Hop Styles

Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hip hop music has only existed for about 40 years old. My pops is older than hip hop, so tracing the roots and origins of major rap styles shouldn't be too hard right? I'm just curious as to see how people see all of this. And hopefully some knowledge can be dropped about hip hop music and its musicians in general. Especially knowledge about how the current state of hip hop (which most people see as bad) evolved from the earlier states of hip hop (which most people see as good). Debates are welcome as well.

So if you were to treat rappers (and their styles) as some sort of family tree, who do you have branching out from who? Who are at the base of the tree? Who are at the leaves? Which leaves have withered? Which flowers are still ripe?

Comments

• Plutarch
    edited October 2012
    Here's a good starting point from the homeboy @waterproof that at least I and @disciplined agreed with about the original root of modern hip hop:
    waterproof wrote: »

Kool Moe Dee birthed Rakim and Nas as the scientific cerebral emcee

Grandmaster Caz birthed Big Daddy Kane and Jay-z as lyrically slick rhyme animal cocky emcee

Melle Mel birthed Krs-1 and Biggie Smalls as the poetical rhyme style street and conscious emcee
  • Plutarch
    I also have:

Masta Ace birthed Eminem as the funny/witty, multi-syllabic, complex rhyming, clearly enunciating emcee.

Busy Bee Starski, although a hip hop godfather, seems to not have realy birthed anyone. So that ended there.

Schoolly D birthed Ice-T (and maybe Kool G Rap?) as the hardened gangster rapping, story-telling emcee. In return, Kool G Rap birthed the mid-90s mafioso versions of various rappers including Raekwon, Jay Z, and Nas?

Lil Wayne birthed Drake as the stunting, lyrical, singing and rapping, witty, flamboyant emcee.

Run, T La Rock, and Kool Moe Dee birthed LL Cool J as the cocky, sharp, witty, street yet mainstream emcee.

Public Enemy put the battery in the back of N.W.A. and specifically Ice Cube as the Westcoast versions of PE - socially conscious, proud and black, fighter-of-the-system emcees.
  • Plutarch
    I'm not exactly sure where Slick Rick fits in though.

And I'm not sure who preceeded who between Three Six Mafia, Bone Thugs and Harmony, and Twista.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipset->Big Sean, Wiz, ASAP Rocky
    Kanye->Cudi, Wale, J Cole
    Big Daddy Kane->Biggie, Jay-Z
    Biggie and Jay-Z-->Clipse-->Pusha T
  • Plutarch
    edited October 2012

I can't really comment on the Dipset one, but I agree with all the others.

I think that Jay birthed Kanye, but Kanye has influenced a lot of cats who are currently hot right now.

Apart from Nas (to a minor extent), the Fu-schnickens (and Das EFX by association?), and Jaz-O, Big Daddy Kane influenced the hell out of Jay (and Biggie). Didn't Jay and Jaz-O used to battle Kane?

Jay damn near influenced everyone 2001 and beyond, but his direct influence is withering away. His reign on the top is slowly ending. But his children will live on and influence others.
  • Plutarch
    edited October 2012
    what exactly are you nosigning @PK_TK_187?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plutarch wrote: »

I can't really comment on the Dipset one, but I agree with all the others.

I think that Jay birthed Kanye, but Kanye has influenced a lot of cats who are currently hot right now.

Apart from Nas (to a minor extent), the Fu-schnickens (and Das EFX by association?), and Jaz-O, Big Daddy Kane influenced the hell out of Jay (and Biggie). Didn't Jay and Jaz-O used to battle Kane?

Jay damn near influenced everyone 2001 and beyond, but his direct influence is withering away. His reign on the top is slowly ending. But his children will live on and influence others.

I hear Dipset (and Max B) in a lot of these new rappers now. Like early Wiz was like a Cam Ron clone.

I agree, every rapper since 2001 wants to be Jay-Z
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited October 2012
    Nah, I would say Redman birthed Eminem

Andre 3000- K.dot,

Mase -Kanye- Drake
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PE And NWA Are Peers Of The Same Era...If Anything NWA May Even Pre Date Public Enemy...They Two Sides Of The Same Coin...
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kool G Rap influenced Big Pun

Run DMC influenced Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, Lil Wayne, Method Man, Cee-Lo
    or moreso, one could say Aerosmith influenced Coldplay, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, The Black Keys.

I'm also inclined to say that Cypress Hill is the predecessor in style of Redman.

Esham's style was an influence on Eminem and ICP, and Eminem's been an influence on Hopsin, and probably Odd Future.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    PE And NWA Are Peers Of The Same Era...If Anything NWA May Even Pre Date Public Enemy...They Two Sides Of The Same Coin...

Yo ? Rush the Show and NWA and the Posse both came out in 87.
  • PK_TK_187
    PK_TK_187 Members Posts: 2,240
    PE influence on NWA
    Cube solo>>>> imo
  • nawledge_god

That's Why I Said MAY...I Wasn't Exactly Sure On The Dates Of Their Debuts...But You Get What I Saying
  • nawledge_god
    sully wrote: »
    Kool G Rap influenced Big Pun

Run DMC influenced Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, Lil Wayne, Method Man, Cee-Lo
    or moreso, one could say Aerosmith influenced Coldplay, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, The Black Keys.

I'm also inclined to say that Cypress Hill is the predecessor in style of Redman.

Esham's style was an influence on Eminem and ICP, and Eminem's been an influence on Hopsin, and probably Odd Future.

Reggie And Cypress Both Also Came Out Around The Same Time So I Dont Know About That
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    kool g rap probably has the widest influence with the lyrical mafioso rap

big pun
    the lox
    biggie
    camron
    plus many other gangsta rappers out of new york
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Kanye was not birthed by Jay. More so by Mase. Kanye definitely birthed J. Cole's style as well as Wale.

G Rap and Rakim influenced Nas. Nas influenced Lupe.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Kanye was not birthed by Jay. More so by Mase. Kanye definitely birthed J. Cole's style as well as Wale.

G Rap and Rakim influenced Nas. Nas influenced Lupe.

• sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Native Tongues and Mos Def were probably style predecessors of Kanye and Lupe.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that Native Tongues influenced Kanye but not as much Lupe if you listen to his earlier material. Lupe even said himself he didn't grow up on Tribe and didn't start listening to rap until IWW.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gangster storyteller: Schoolly D --> Ice-T ---> Spice 1

Laid back intellectual flow: Rakim ----> Nas. (Rakim was very laid back in his delivery during a time where guys where projecting their voice to the point of yelling, he was one of the first to rhyme that way)

Mafioso content: Kool G. Rap ---> Nas, Raekwon, Ghostface. AZ & Pun

Punchlines + Wittiness: Big Daddy Kane ---> Notorious BIG, Jay-Z
    > Lil Wayne

Abstract,Conscious & Soulful: Native Tongues [ATCQ, De La Soul, Jungle Brothers etc]----> Soulquarians (Common, Badu & The Roots)
    > OutKast ----> Talib Kweli ----> Kanye ----> J. Cole

BTNH, Nice & Smooth---> Nelly & Ja Rule ----> Drake

Geto Boys ----> Three Six Mafia, Master P & No Limit ----> Hot Boyz & Cash Money

UGK ---> Texas hip-hop period lol
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's Why I Said MAY...I Wasn't Exactly Sure On The Dates Of Their Debuts...But You Get What I Saying

It's all good homie lol. I get cha 2h5lnvd.jpg Damn I'm old lol
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masta Ace--Redman--Eminem
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick Rick -- Snoop Dogg

melodic, smooth flow. Snoop said himself he was very influenced by Rick. Listen to Snoop's version of "Lodi Dadi"
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dope thread btw
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mase + Jay-Z + MosDef (Blackstar & BOBS era)= Kanye. As a rapper
    Mase + Jay-Z + Big L= Fab ..........97 was the year Fab really got into it. i can hear a lot of it esp Vol.1 era Jay delivery
    Andre 3000 + Bone Thugs + Eminem= Kendrick
    Jay-Z + Juvenile= TI
    Fab + Kanye + Grace Jones= Big Sean ........sike in all seriousness i'd put Dipset there
    Kanye + Jay-Z + Phonte (early on, not anymore )+ Joe Budden(also early on) + Wayne(Smh, later on)+ Nelly= Drake