Christian Parents ruin everything

Options
Knives Amilli
Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in R & R (Religion and Race)
So last night being halloween and all, on of my super religious aunts decides to post on FB about halloween displeasing ? and this and that and her church was going to treat Wednesday night as an ordinary night,...

And then I start to think and remember about ALLL of the ? through out the years that christian parents would demonize and be told to keep away from their kids. My mom being very religious was always gullible enough to be swept up in it all so a few things I had to battle her about with. But here's what I can think off:

Quija boards-One of my earliest memories is being shook of this game because of what my mom heard
John Carmack's Doom, yknow the video game-I hated PC gaming anyway so no worries there
Pokemon- Tried to tell me it was demonic, got the shaq face from me. I would've died for that ?
Harry Potter-Damn we don't want kids to read now? Oh wait as long as its the bible its okay
Halloween-One thing my mom actually was pretty cool about

Rap music
We had this guy G. Craig Lewis come to our church and in my more indoctrinated days, I fell prey to his ? . As an older man of course I saw through all of that ? (and utter lies/misinformation) this guy spouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vknxPgYrVzM&feature=related

Basically......poor kids been having their fun ? on by Christian parents for decades. Y'all grow up like this? Y'all doing this to y'all kids? Or have family members doing it?

Comments

• Knives Amilli
    Options
    Not only Christian parents doggy, there´s parents like that for all religions. Believe it or not, christian parents are the most lenient.

yea but christian parents are probably the most relevant and powerful example here in the states tho.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    G. Craig Lewis has to be the worst of the hustler preachers. Here's a ? that was an aspiring hip hop producer whos beats, apparently, nobody wanted, so he turned on the industry that rejected him and started spouting lies and nonsense like a bitter, jilted ? . All the ? he's ever said has been debunked, but he still continues forward with his "message".
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only thing I feel like my Christian parents didn't handle correctly was sex ed.

Who cares about a Ouija board? I might have turned out emo with black nails and a dog collar or some ? .
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    luckily my mom wasnt religious when i was growin up..
    her old ass is now though.. she confuses me. lol

i think them Jehovah witnesses are the worst though..
    look what it did to Michael..
  • konceptjones
    Options
    BossBoo wrote: »

ain't that how it usually works tho? Black women seem to gravitate towards the church the older they get. By the time they're 70, they're in church 4 times a week and twice on Sundays.
  • Kat
    Options

ain't that how it usually works tho? Black women seem to gravitate towards the church the older they get. By the time they're 70, they're in church 4 times a week and twice on Sundays.

That isn't just black women.

My dad was a dog in his youth, now he's head deacon...wtf.
  • CapitalB
    Options

my grandma is the worse!!!
    she aint even hit 70 yet but she lives in that mu'? ..

BUT GROWIN UP!?!? smoke.. drank.. every other word was ? or muthafucka..
    i mean i heard stories how she use to walk around wit a sawed off and hustle ? in the pool hall when she was commin up..

now she married to a deacon. smmfh

but whats crazy is i grew up heavily religious despite them..
    and now im not.. so we lookin at each other like we crazy. lol
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    lol my dad would have slapped me for being associated with Pokemon or harry potter. and it would have had nothing to do with religion.

my parents are christian and never interfered with video games i played or going to trick or treat.
  • Knives Amilli
    Options

i mean i heard stories how she use to walk around wit a sawed off and hustle ? in the pool hall when she was commin up..

See thats the thing brah....

All of that demonizing ? , all of that killing fun "in the name of ? '''

All of that ? built up mad resentment at the church in me and spurred me on to find the facts about ? just to prove my mom wrong (which now I see she was lol).

Christian parents ironically prolly push more kids away by being buzzkills than keep em roped in.

• konceptjones
    Options

My grandmoms drank like crazy, hustled pool, cussin every other word, all kinda ? , she's 80 now and any time we talk on the phone, she always reminds me to go to church and say my prayers "? is good, he's listening to you...".

My moms wasn't out there like that, but church wasn't a big part of our lives (just Easter and Christmas really), now she's married to a pastor.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah because atheist parents are so much fun to be around!
  • CapitalB
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    @bossboo...so you dont think anyone can truly repent and be forgiven and turn over a new leaf? serious question

id have to be christian to believe that sir..
    and that i am not..
  • Matt-
    Options
    and i always thought kids who played with ouiji boards were lame. i don't know where my parents stood on that issue because it never came up.

only thing they really ruined was my ability to sleep in on sunday mornings
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will be that religious parent, you young bucks need your mind right and on the things of Yahweh Elohim. Reluctant Hebrews!
  • Matt-
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    matt- wrote: »
    lol my dad would have slapped me for watching pokemon. and it would have had nothing to do with religion.

lol, why, who didn't love pokemon

i loved that ? when i was younger, but that was when they just had 150 pokemon, the got like a thousand now, ain't nobody got time for that

well whatever i guess. but i wasn't into that ? ? . and even if i was and my parents banned me from it, i doubt i'd look back at it and be like, "man, thats messed up what my parents did. imma go to hell before i believe in a ? who doesn't like peekachew or whatever
  • Kat
    edited November 2012
    Options
    lol my dad would have slapped me for being associated with Pokemon or harry potter. and it would have had nothing to do with religion.

my parents are christian and never interfered with video games i played or going to trick or treat.

Halloween was the Fall Festival at church.

No Pokeman, Simpsons, anything that may promote witchcraft, not even the Smurfs!

No type of secular music period, which got interesting when I started liking Rap and RnB, I found a copy of a Christian rap album by an artist called T-Bone on my bed one day.

My Keith Sweat single on cassette was infiltrated and promptly destroyed.

lol..what's crazy is how much they've loosened up in their old age.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    how did I know that Ajack17 would be the one that would "wack" a truthful post of mine?
  • CapitalB
    Options

See thats the thing brah....

All of that demonizing ? , all of that killing fun "in the name of ? '''

All of that ? built up mad resentment at the church in me and spurred me on to find the facts about ? just to prove my mom wrong (which now I see she was lol).

Christian parents ironically prolly push more kids away by being buzzkills than keep em roped in.

i see what u mean.. but that wasnt the case for me..
    i basically raised myself.. my mom was too busy workin and goin to night school... and my pops workin two jobs to be roped from anything..

i basically did what i wanted growin up..
    but i went to a christian elementary school after gettin expelled in public school when i was in 2nd grade..
    so i grew up in church and use to preach to my parents oddly enough..

i didnt turn from the church until i got older.. in my mid 20s.. and my family started turnin to the church.. so now they look at me like im crazy cause i was the Bible thumper... and im lookin at them crazy cause they was the ones in the streets.. they think its jus a phase wit me... but they leave me alone about it now.. cause i goes the ? off and they cant combat ? i say when i talk about the inaccuracies in the Bible..

they always say.. if people actually took the time to know the Bible.. they wouldnt follow it..
  • Knives Amilli
    Options
    lol my dad would have slapped me for watching pokemon. and it would have had nothing to do with religion.

i loved that ? when i was younger, but that was when they just had 150 pokemon, the got like a thousand now, ain't nobody got time for that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdVItTk5UA

Kai the christian evangelicals got hip to it and things like what that guy says in the video started circulating in the black christian community. They especially screwed the face up at the concept of pokemon evolving, the "psychic" and magic present in the series and the East Asian spiritual and mystical concepts, references, and influences that alot of the pokemon embody (as if POKEMON WASN'T CREATED IN JAPAN).
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »

You should pick up your feelings. They're all over the floor.
  • Matt-
    Options

Halloween was the Fall Festival at church.

No Pokeman, Simpsons, anything that may promote witchcraft, not even the Smurfs!

No type of secular music period, which got interesting when I started liking Rap and RnB, I found a copy of a Christian rap album by an artist called T-Bone on my bed one day.

My Keith Sweat single on cassette was infiltrated and promptly destroyed.

lol..what's crazy is how much they've loosened up in their old age.

yeah we never did halloween decorations and we'd always be at the church for halloween, but we'd still go trick or treat. and looking back i'm not mad about it. i don't feel like i was deprived of anything. and we had mtv blocked on the tv after we got busted watching beavis and butthead. i was probably mad then but it don't bother me now. that was a terrible show. never had any alcohol in the house. but now they stay drinkin wine out in the open like they the ?
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options

i loved that ? when i was younger, but that was when they just had 150 pokemon, they got like a thousand now, ain't nobody got time for that

All the real ? played pokemon. I remember this lady told her children to stop playing with us because she didn't want her kids involved in it. The churches around here were telling people that pokemon was demonic but I don't ever remember hearing a reason why?? Does anybody remember why that was goin on?

I know somebody like that parent the threadstarter is talking about. Wouldn't even let his daughter go to prom because he said it's "worldly". Christian to the ? extreme of extremes. I have a feeling one day his daughter is going to rebel, not only against him but religion.
  • Knives Amilli
    Options

they might be....?
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You should pick up your feelings. They're all over the floor.

Not at all ? . I was simply making fun of the ridiculous premises of the thread. Seems as if you caught feelings over me making fun of atheists, smh.