ARE YOU GOING TO VOTE (Why or Why Not you Vote)and what propositions and candidate's you voting for

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I'm voting for either Roseanne from the Green Party or Gary Johnson from the Libertarian Party for President. On the local elections, I'll be voting mostly with Democrats and Independents that support the legalization of medical marijuana and those who want to end the war in Afghanistan immediately, still doing research on who those people are.

another wasted vote. smh.....but i guess your making a statement, right? lol. don't get me wrong, the third party is a noble idea just not a workable one at this time. you may not be a big fan of obama or mittens but voting 3rd party is exactly the same as casting your vote for the major party candidate you like the least. and i promise you mittens is not obama, he's worst....

anyways I 'm from michigan and i'm voting for obama and democrats own ballot....

i'm also voting in favor of prop 2 which would amend Michigan's constitution to grant public and private sector employees the right to organize and collectively bargain through unions.

voting no on prop 1, michigan does not need fascist Emergency managers to be appointed by a governor we may not even have vote for to take over our local governments and overthrow our elected officials. ? dat...

yes on prop 3, which requires electric utilities to provide at least 25% of their annual retail sales of electricity from renewable energy sources, which are wind, solar, biomass, and hydropower, by 2025.

voting no on prop 5. if passed it locks in current tax rates for the rich and makes it impossible to raise their taxes for new revenue....

voting yes on prop 6. then it would require a statewide and local vote before any new bridges and tunnels could be built between Michigan and Canada

I agree Romney is worse than Obama, but my conscience won't allow me to vote for Obama either. My vote may be tiny in the long run but Democrats at one point were a 3rd party too....after 2010, I knew I'd never vote for Obama again, I'm just too disappointed in him. You'll be happy election day I'm sure though, I personally will look at it as the day nothing changed in the country much for the better.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I'm voting for either Roseanne from the Green Party or Gary Johnson from the Libertarian Party for President. On the local elections, I'll be voting mostly with Democrats and Independents that support the legalization of medical marijuana and those who want to end the war in Afghanistan immediately, still doing research on who those people are.

another wasted vote. smh.....but i guess your making a statement, right? lol. don't get me wrong, the third party is a noble idea just not a workable one at this time. you may not be a big fan of obama or mittens but voting 3rd party is exactly the same as casting your vote for the major party candidate you like the least. and i promise you mittens is not obama, he's worst....

anyways I 'm from michigan and i'm voting for obama and democrats own ballot....

i'm also voting in favor of prop 2 which would amend Michigan's constitution to grant public and private sector employees the right to organize and collectively bargain through unions.

voting no on prop 1, michigan does not need fascist Emergency managers to be appointed by a governor we may not even have vote for to take over our local governments and overthrow our elected officials. ? dat...

yes on prop 3, which requires electric utilities to provide at least 25% of their annual retail sales of electricity from renewable energy sources, which are wind, solar, biomass, and hydropower, by 2025.

voting no on prop 5. if passed it locks in current tax rates for the rich and makes it impossible to raise their taxes for new revenue....

voting yes on prop 6. then it would require a statewide and local vote before any new bridges and tunnels could be built between Michigan and Canada

I agree Romney is worse than Obama, but my conscience won't allow me to vote for Obama either. My vote may be tiny in the long run but Democrats at one point were a 3rd party too....after 2010, I knew I'd never vote for Obama again, I'm just too disappointed in him. You'll be happy election day I'm sure though, I personally will look at it as the day nothing changed in the country much for the better.

I thought you were done with him in 2008 before he was sworn in? The democrats at one point being a third party, weren't a weak party that didn't know how to put the national spotlight on their candidates. They actually had a chance in hell. Also, Democrats and Republicans both came from older versions of themselves, Democratic-Republicans and Whigs. Before them were the National Republicans and Federalist. There was Teddy Roosevelt, but he still came out of a major party and already had national recognition with a far greater drive. In general, third parties have always been fringe including TDR whom was an anomaly.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/history-purpose/2012/oct/30/third-party-fever-and-historical-reality/

politics-antebellum.jpg

http://www.edgate.com/elections/inactive/the_parties/
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

I thought you were done with him in 2008 before he was sworn in? The democrats at one point being a third party, weren't a weak party that didn't know how to put the national spotlight on their candidates. They actually had a chance in hell. Also, Democrats and Republicans both came from older versions of themselves, Democratic-Republicans and Whigs. Before them were the National Republicans and Federalist. There was Teddy Roosevelt, but he still came out of a major party and already had national recognition with a far greater drive. In general, third parties have always been fringe including TDR whom was an anomaly.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/history-purpose/2012/oct/30/third-party-fever-and-historical-reality/

politics-antebellum.jpg

Interesting post but just so you know I actually voted for Obama in 2008, with pride and amazement he won. I remember yelling in the streets and going to my friend's house to party, drink, and smoke good weed with other Obama supporters. In 2012, no one I know is gonna celebrate Obama's victory in the same way. Most people I know who voted Obama in 2008 are either not gona vote at all or will vote 3rd party as I am. The disappointment people feel about Obama is real, notice the crowds aren't nearly as large for him this year as years past.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options

politics-antebellum.jpg

Interesting post but just so you know I actually voted for Obama in 2008, with pride and amazement he won. I remember yelling in the streets and going to my friend's house to party, drink, and smoke good weed with other Obama supporters. In 2012, no one I know is gonna celebrate Obama's victory in the same way. Most people I know who voted Obama in 2008 are either not gona vote at all or will vote 3rd party as I am. The disappointment people feel about Obama is real, notice the crowds aren't nearly as large for him this year as years past.

Those are the people Republicans accused of looking at Obama like a Messiah. I saw a practical realistic man. You knew where he stood with the war when you cast your vote in 2008. NY doesn't require your vote anyway because most this state in large is a far less fleeting with their support.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

politics-antebellum.jpg

Those are the people Republicans accused of looking at Obama like a Messiah. I saw a practical realistic man. You knew where he stood with the war when you cast your vote in 2008. NY doesn't require your vote anyway because most this state in large is a far less fleeting with their support.

No I did not look at Obama as a messiah, I just expected the man I voted for to bring in solid change and have open minded policies. As far as the wars, he said he'd end the war in Iraq within 6 months and it took him 2 years. He said he would expand the war in Afghanistan yes, but I had no idea he meant until 2025 (don't give me that 2014 ? , we will have troops fighting way longer than that). Worst than all this is when Obama said he beieved medical marijuana should be a states' right, but he than proceeded to ? down harder on medical marijuana than even George W did LOL.......maybe I was naive, but I expected real change. It's okay, I have taken it as a lesson learned.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Which ever way you vote America will still be broke

True, but depending on who you vote for, the debt situation may get better and/or be on its way to getting better years or decades from now. So I think that it matters. Issues like the national debt take years of planning and execution to see results.

I think that this is what turns a lot of people away from voting. They want to see immediate results, but that's impossible. You have to patiently vote consistently throughout time. There's no way that Obama can undo the bad that Bush (and others) have done in just 3-4 years. A president is only in office eight years max.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Which ever way you vote America will still be broke

True, but depending on who you vote for, the debt situation may get better and/or be on its way to getting better years or decades from now. So I think that it matters. Issues like the national debt take years of planning and execution to see results.

I think that this is what turns a lot of people away from voting. They want to see immediate results, but that's impossible. You have to patiently vote consistently throughout time. There's no way that Obama can undo the bad that Bush (and others) have done in just 3-4 years. A president is only in office eight years max.

Understandable but when Obama expanded many of Bush's policies, it disgusted a lot of people. This is why the race is so close and not a blowout for Obama like 2008.
  • Captain SmackaNicca
    Captain SmackaNicca Members Posts: 25
    Options
    http://act.watchdog.net/petitions/1818?share_ref=UIdkAAVRi0A

If this is true I bet the white folks will still have a excuse to vote against Obama.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    ^^^ why you gotta be so enigmatic??
    i don't even understand what about that post that was unclear
    Ok so who are you gona vote for again?
    you really care that deeply about who i am voting for in my state and county elections? well, okay, i will indulge you (theatrically unfolds ballot to address pertinent offices and referendums):

--voting Republican for US Senate/House of Representatives; this will not matter because the Democrat incumbents will have dominating victories (Senate in particular is probably going to see the Republican get killed by a combination of this being a severely Democratic state and an independent former Republican jumping into the race spending millions for some reason);
    --voting yes on 3 because this state has been having a rash of sitting politicians being convicted of crimes and then REFUSING to leave office;
    --voting no on 4 because i object to the manner in which it is phrased (seriously);
    --voting no on 5 because i object to the shameless gerrymandering going on in this state currently;
    --voting yes on 6 because i could care less if ? people want to get married;
    --voting no on 7 because ? this gambling expansion ? and the lying, hypocrite politicians that are trying to push it through.

if you can guess what state i reside in based on this list, you win the prize of ... nothing. thanks for playing!

it also turns out that "Santa Claus" is a registered Independent write-in candidate for president. maybe i will vote for him!
    But imo 1. Republicans generally exploit Christianity. 2. Republicans are hypocritical/? -poor Christians.
    why do you think this is limited to Republicans?
    first off, you shouldn't pretend you think a third-party vote is a noble idea if you're going to laugh at him for "making a statement." if you want to denigrate the third-party voters, just be honest about it.

second, it's NOT the same thing as casting his vote for the major party candidate he likes the least. let's say he lives in a non-battleground state that's in the bag for Obama: if he votes Obama, it makes no difference and the third party gets nothing. if he votes Romney, it makes no difference and the third party gets nothing. if he votes third-party, it makes no difference BUT helps that third party keep/gain funding for future elections. oh, and if he doesn't like the Obama/Romney choice, he also doesn't have to feel like he held his nose and voted for a candidate he doesn't like because one of them is the "least bad option."
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited November 2012
    Options
    i voted gary johnson third party (woulda voted obama but i live in california & he already has our vote regardless) because if they get like 5% of the votes they can enter in the national debates. if all the people who say they like the idea of third parties but they have no chance (which they don't) actually voted third party...it'd be a very different election season in 2-4 years. hell, if all the weeble wobble ass undecideds voted third party, same thing.

actual issues that pertain to bettering conditions for citizens would be on the table - basically all the ? that was covered in the third party debate.
  • Plutarch
    edited November 2012
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    ^^^ why you gotta be so enigmatic??
    i don't even understand what about that post that was unclear

I don't know man. Sometimes you seem so sarcastic and dry that I can't ever tell whether you're being serious or not/facetious. That post is not only the one btw.
    if you can guess what state i reside in based on this list, you win the prize of ... nothing. thanks for playing!

You see? Again with the enigma. Not only do I have to figure out if you're being serious, I gotta figure out where you live too? Everything's a mystery with you man.

Anyways, I intially thought Chicago, but after some extensive research, I've narrowed it down to Maryland, Ohio, Orgeon, and Rhode Island. After some more detailed investigation, I've come to the conlusion that your state is Maryland. So when will I receive this invaluable prize that you speak of?

And what will be the prize for finding out the city/town in Maryland that you live in?
    But imo 1. Republicans generally exploit Christianity. 2. Republicans are hypocritical/? -poor Christians.
    why do you think this is limited to Republicans?

I don't think that this is limited to Republicans. I know that others exploit Christianity as well. I was just speaking within the context of the assumption that I should vote Republican because I'm a "good Christian." And by "good Christian", I generally mean a follower of the religious right/tv evangelicals, and they are very much associated with Republicans, right? Ok, there are big-name black churches in America, but I don't see them actively endorsing either party like the religious right does right?
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard they using tricks at the polls to prevent obama from winning.the republicans are doing everything to prevent obama from winning
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard they using tricks at the polls to prevent obama from winning.the republicans are doing everything to prevent obama from winning

Yeah in Ohio they are stalling the electricians from fixing the power in some of the polling sites. The secretary of state offers "flashlights and paper ballots" as a substitute

There was a suspicious package yesterday in Orlando, FL, and people were forced to evacuate, and when they came back they didnt want to extend voting hours. Thank ? that a judge stepped in

• Plutarch
    Options
    ^^^ if that's true, then that's really just sad.
  • janklow
    Options
    and any day now you'll actual cite something in one of these incredibly vague posts
  • janklow
    Options
    I don't know man. Sometimes you seem so sarcastic and dry that I can't ever tell whether you're being serious or not/facetious. That post is not only the one btw.
    welcome to the internet
    Not only do I have to figure out if you're being serious, I gotta figure out where you live too? Everything's a mystery with you man.
    still not understanding what the hell is going on here
    And what will be the prize for finding out the city/town in Maryland that you live in?
    so i'm pretty sure no one cares about that AND that you don't have to wait very long to receive a prize of "nothing"
    And by "good Christian", I generally mean a follower of the religious right/tv evangelicals, and they are very much associated with Republicans, right?
    religious right, yes, clearly; TV evangelicals i think are more mixed
    Ok, there are big-name black churches in America, but I don't see them actively endorsing either party like the religious right does right?
    really?
  • Captain SmackaNicca
    Captain SmackaNicca Members Posts: 25
    Options
    I thought I'd share this little gem. For those that wonder what's wrong with our country, just look at this

video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY0M7IdNl7U&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes. voted straight party and for the non partisan positions i picked at random
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I make sure I vote every election and especially the local level and the state level. Those are the two most important elections, that effect everyone day to day.
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought I'd share this little gem. For those that wonder what's wrong with our country, just look at this

video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY0M7IdNl7U&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

I'm sorry but this ? is comedy. I hope this is just a cluster ohio. this ? is sad. I thought the south was bad
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Take a picture of your ballot before submitting it (paper or electronic), just in case.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Voted. Voted for Dr. Stein of the Green Party. Loved her economic plan and plan on student loan bailout.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Voted. Voted for Dr. Stein of the Green Party. Loved her economic plan and plan on student loan bailout.

props for looking else where for a change, people ain't gonna vote for stein, but that's a good look.

http://youtu.be/QdpGd74DrBM

and so it begins.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Perusing the threads on this topic here and elsewhere, I was struck—as others were—by the resemblance to the arguments I myself advanced in 2000—back when I was the sanctimonious twit saying that there wasn’t a dime’s worth of difference between Bush and Gore. I was wrong. I learned my lesson. In my own defense, all I can say is that the consequences of my casting one of the 1,784 votes in Florida that was the official margin of difference between Bush and Gore were unimaginable at the time, at least to me.

And I’ve regretted it ever since and will until the day I die. Seriously. I number that vote among the worst things I’ve ever done as a human being on this planet, even though I’ve done more stupid and mean things than I care to remember, and despite the fact that my motives in that case were fairly pure.

I don’t expect my fessing up to this and saying I learned my lesson and regret my third party vote in 2000 will change anyone’s mind who is contemplating a similar move in 2012. It’s not only that I remember well my own self-righteousness 12 years ago, though I do. It’s that anyone who can’t draw the blindingly obvious lesson from that debacle—which isn’t exactly ancient history—is probably just not persuadable.

So what should the disaffected liberal do? Well, sack up, for one thing: Ridicule from someone on a blog isn’t exactly a Hellfire missile up the ? chute. Advocate for your ? position with facts and figures—at the grassroots level—even if someone is mean to you on a blog! Persuade the people who don’t currently give a ? , which is, sadly, most of the American public. Get involved in politics at the local level, where your voice is potentially louder. All these are good and worthy goals.

Empowering politicians who think the US isn’t sufficiently aligned with the Likud Party in Israel isn’t a good and worthy goal. It wasn’t in 2000, and it isn’t today. Your actions have consequences. Own them. And for Christ’s sake, quit whining about it.

http://www.balloon-juice.com/2012/10/01/one-in-1784/

"I think the Weimar Republic collapsed...because there were not enough citizens. That's the lesson I have learned. Citizens cannot leave politics just to politicians." - Günter Grass

"But attempts at self-government, imperfect and riddled with failure as history has shown them to be, demand serious adult thinking. The "lesser of two evils" political options that these people incessantly complain about are an existential fact of politics, just as many of our most important personal decisions in life boil down to choosing the lesser evil. We might as well wonder why man was born to suffer and die.

I have written elsewhere how the reactionary right and its rich contributors had mentally seceded from the Third French Republic and doomed it to defeat, occupation, and a sordid regime at Vichy. The parallels with some of our own seceding plutocracy are uncomfortable. But it was the case that many French citizens of the left and center also became disaffected from the republic. If the regime is corrupt and the process is rigged, why bother participating? Many American progressives are similarly infected with a kind of facile despair to the point where they confuse half a loaf with no bread. But citizenship demands that you get your hands ? and consent to compromises that are sometimes repellent. In 28 years on Capitol Hill, I did not see a foreign policy carried out by presidents of either party that did not have elements that were morally repugnant, fraudulent, hypocritical, or all three. Citizens must get their hands ? nevertheless. The alternative is to cease to be a citizen and let others do the work. I am certain they would be happy to oblige.

The most compelling argument to support Obama has nothing directly to do with him or his performance in office, but goes to the heart of what self-government is supposed to mean."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/the-case-for-obama-and-against-liberal-despair/264465/

Obama is Bad on Civil Liberties, But Romney Would Be Much Worse

"If you don’t understand the Fundamental Inequality of Politics: Bad > Worse, you’re just too damn dumb to vote"