Price Vs. Power

grumpy_new_yorker
grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the report of PS4 dev kits now shipping to developers (rumored to have 8-16GB of RAM) which would you rather spend your hard earned money on next gen?

A. An affordable system with a small yet noticeable advance in hardware specs (like the Wii U is compared current gen)

or

B. A more expensive system, but with the power and technology to back it up (sorta like when the PS3 launched)

Here is a link to the PS4 dev kit details.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/01/report-ps4-dev-kits-surface-details-inside?abthid=5092a5a2b44486b47400006a

Comments

• SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new more powerful system...? would I wanna keep buying game systems with small changes like the iphone?
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    A new more powerful system...? would I wanna keep buying game systems with small changes like the iphone?

iphone5 sold 5 millions units in 3 days. there is a market for small changes....
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim Taylor voice...... MORE POWER.!!!!!
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim Taylor voice...... MORE POWER.!!!!!

cs price will go down over time but you wont be stuck with a limited system for a generation
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More power means more game play potential. I'd pay the money for that.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want my eyes to bleed when I see the new graphics... Plus, more power means we're closer to the PS9 commercial.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    More power

still ...... Wii U is a big improvement over its predecessor and isn't cheap compared to current gen
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

iphone5 sold 5 millions units in 3 days. there is a market for small changes....

? is that supposed to mean other than people are gullible ? who'll buy anything with an apple logo on it

IPhone5=IPhone4s 'cept thinner and an extra bar of useless apps

IPhone4s=IPhone4 with Siri.

Apple's brand sells doesnt mean that the product is any better from the normal consumer standpoint
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    B

But after this disappointing 3rd gen, I think it goes downhill from here (just going by my taste in gaming, for some it will be great) so I wont be buying any 4th gen consoles.

Might just stick with handhelds from now on, and even that is a reach. Not interested in the Vita, I might get the 3ds....maybe.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol easy there lets not fire off the eithers so fast. The cell phone market and the video game market are 2 going in opposite directions though. Cell phones are the video games of the 90's. Big crowds across a broad demographic. Video games are on the downside. Lackluster sales numbers less people jumping to buy a new console right away. Biggest problem with the PS3 was that the ps2 was outselling it and people didn't wanna move right away even with shortages and ? .

I will take a more powerful system than a slight upgrade from the last gen. Past the opinion leaders the wii u doesn't have much demand. Nintendo will shorten supply and ? to make it seem like people care but its not a big enough change to get casual gamers to buy the wii u. Why did the wii sell the best this current gen? Because they got casual gamers to buy on the drastic change to the way you play video games.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    ^ ^ ^ too bad i'm not the one who originally brought up the iphone in a thread about PS4...
  • ocelot
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    More power

still ...... Wii U is a big improvement over its predecessor and isn't cheap compared to current gen

but the Wii wasnt cheap compared to the PS2/Xbox/ Gamecube...
  • ocelot
    BoldChild wrote: »
    B

But after this disappointing 3rd gen, I think it goes downhill from here (just going by my taste in gaming, for some it will be great) so I wont be buying any 4th gen consoles.

Might just stick with handhelds from now on, and even that is a reach. Not interested in the Vita, I might get the 3ds....maybe.

whats your taste in gaming?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    More power

No in this day and age its a slight improvement...i demoed a wii u at gamestop last week and its not that drastic. Gamecube to wii was a drastic improvement cause of the way you play with the wiimote. It's just adding HD games and a tablet controller isn't that much change. ? the tablet could have been an add on just like the wii motion plus or wii fit board lol.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    edited November 2012
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Gamecube to wii was a drastic improvement cause of the way you play with the wiimote.

markey_mark_wtf.gif?w=477&h=252

Wii was just a gamecube with motion controls added. Virtually no upgrade in graphical power....

fun system to mod though. At least the Wii U is "trying" to catch up with the times.
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B

Disappointing?
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B

The vita ? on the 3DS

• CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B

The vita ? on the 3DS
    Cosign bought the 3ds at release ans I've played it maybe 7 times... ? is wack b
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012

The vita ? on the 3DS

Lollerskates. In terms of technical specs, it does maybe but until they actually put games people wanna play on that ? Vita ain't ? on actual ? .

Anyway, Power really ain't never been an issue with me, as long as said console produces enjoyable gaming experiences...So called "? " gamers slept on Wii, but it was a lot of genuinely good ? released under the radar for that joint if you were willing to dig for it, and got damnit the system was so ? easy to yam out any ? who at least knew how to download and follow simple 3 or 4 step instructions can get all the best games for it for free.
  • ocelot

The vita ? on the 3DS

Lollerskates. In terms of technical specs, it does maybe but until they actually put games people wanna play on that ? Vita ain't ? on actual ? .

But they do have games that people want to play. I'm playing LBPVita right now.
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ocelot wrote: »

The vita ? on the 3DS

But who's gonna buy a Vita to play LittleBigPlanet when it's available on 2 other systems, one of which costs taking your girl out to a nice restaurant money compared to a Vita?

• ocelot
    ocelot wrote: »

The vita ? on the 3DS

But who's gonna buy a Vita to play LittleBigPlanet when it's available on 2 other systems, one of which costs taking your girl out to a nice restaurant money compared to a Vita?
    But I can buy the game and have her cook while I'm playing. And LBP is better on the Vita.