Is Microsoft Prepping a 7-Inch Xbox Gaming Tablet?

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watch out, iPad Mini.

Microsoft may be developing a 7-inch gaming-specific Surface tablet. According to The Verge, “multiple sources familiar with plans within Redmond” have confirmed that Microsoft is currently developing an Xbox Surface tablet that “will likely include a custom ARM processor and high-bandwidth RAM designed specifically for gaming tasks.”

The sources say that the Xbox Surface specifications leaked back in June were “accurate” and that “the final implementation is being worked on.” The tablet could reportedly be altered “to accommodate an unannounced Intel SoC” and is not being designed to run a full version of Windows, but a custom Windows kernel instead.

Microsoft allegedly plans to manufacture the tablet in its own production facilities alongside the existing Surface tablets rather than using the third party manufacturing partners that build Xbox consoles. The Verge also reports that Microsoft’s recent security lockdown of its Interactive Entertainment Business buildings could also be due to testing of the Xbox Surface.

The Xbox Surface could potentially be designed to compete with Apple’s recently released iPad Mini, which has already seen big sales. We reached out to Microsoft about the Xbox Surface but were told the company doesn't comment on rumors and speculation. Until we hear more about the Xbox Surface, read our hands-on impressions of the Surface with Windows RT.

Comments

• funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    Thought this was old news....

Wonder if Sony will follow suit too...... Hell does Sony even make tablets ??

This whole tablet ? is starting to get lame, I get it but got dayum I don't wanna play FPS or fighting games on a ? tablet.

WiiU?....................lol

I was about to play that ? at GameStop, but all they had on it was Rayman Legends and somebody was already on it. I wanna see how the tablet feels because it looks uncomfortable (as far as button placement) but looks can be deceiving.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    Thought this was old news....

Wonder if Sony will follow suit too...... Hell does Sony even make tablets ??

This whole tablet ? is starting to get lame, I get it but got dayum I don't wanna play FPS or fighting games on a ? tablet.

WiiU?....................lol

I was about to play that ? at GameStop, but all they had on it was Rayman Legends and somebody was already on it. I wanna see how the tablet feels because it looks uncomfortable (as far as button placement) but looks can be deceiving.

I had the same concerns as well until I held it @ Best Buy. Surprisingly, I was shocked how comfortable it felt in my hands. I thought it was gonna be a lil heavy, but it's actually light.