Vince Russo: "Wrestling Matches = LOW ratings"

genocidecutter
genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude's mad overrated but will always give him respect for being a integral part of the attitude era!!!
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats why that ? aint workin now
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

You must have wrestling BUT it needs to be quality match. It would need intensity, high fly, fast, botch free, feuds, good match ups etc... It needs to be balanced too, have some storylines that play backstage and in the ring w matches mixed in. If you have ALL matches, yes it would be low.

There also needs to be close calls and interference, cheating as well. This is what all makes for great matches, no one wants to see a legit wrestling match, we aren't back in the day, wrestling has evolved.

• Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lemme see *Watches some WCW from mid 2000*

Nope. I prefer wrestling matches compared to that ish.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strongly disagree, my only memories outside of the attitude era and height of NWO (when ? could pop off at any given time) is ? that happened in the ring. Back then, I couldn't wait for the main event. But, there were also tons of wrestlers like wcw's cruiser weights, and lesser members of the nation of ? , dx, the job squad, the brood and tag teams, etc. that weren't just filler, they could go too. Godfather, got the ic title and held it down. perfect mix of mic and in ring. ? 's was on suicide watch when he gave up the hos and went to right to censer. Dustin Rhodes put on in the ring. with barry windham, or with his dad, or as goldust. No fluff, no filler, dude was entertaining unlike Cody. Chris benoit in wcw hell, all the radicals perry saturn, dean malinko, and eddie guererro, them boys could go. I still to this day remember the first wcw meeting of chris beniot and eddie guererro. It endded in a draw after a suplex from the top rope knocked them both out. My mouth was on the floor the whole match. Once again in ring action. DDP, Raven and his flock, disco inferno, booker t, the list goes on. I'm not even going to get into tag teams, the dudleys, hardy boys, edge and christian, steiners, harlem heat and tag teams that could actually do it and, ? forbid, stayed a team. It's not that people don't want to see action, I think the talent is being throttled by this pg and uncreative ? that don't know when they lost. But yeah, keep doing it wrong, let us know how that turns out. I promise, if you give people action, they'll keep coming back for more.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Vince Russo calling shots = LOW ratings
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one of the hypest most live moments Ive ever seen wasnt a pay per view or a promo...it was on monday night raw when the radicalz (malenko, benoit, gurrero and saturn ) teamed up with DX to face the rock , foley , rikishi and that tag team he used to roll with...and for that moment alone I strongly disagree with that ? ....I swear the arena was rockin for main event on television....dont see moments like that anymore
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    look at WWE, look at TNA. Russo might be onto something. Russo isnt an idiot, he just had alot of bad ideas to go with his few and far between really good ones.

Watch WCW after April 2000 and you'll understand how "russo-magic" is good and bad. he gets alot of ? from the ICW, but at the same time not enough credit. Sometimes he was blamed for ? in TNA he had NO PART of which I found amusing.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CopperKing wrote: »
    one of the hypest most live moments Ive ever seen wasnt a pay per view or a promo...it was on monday night raw when the radicalz (malenko, benoit, gurrero and saturn ) teamed up with DX to face the rock , foley , rikishi and that tag team he used to roll with...and for that moment alone I strongly disagree with that ? ....I swear the arena was rockin for main event on television....dont see moments like that anymore

? Too Cool was not just "the tag team he used to roll with." Them dudes was hilarious. This was also the night Kane returned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-koj9Uwdr4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWaEHmLDROI&feature=fvwrel
  • RespectedGENlUS
    RespectedGENlUS Members Posts: 53
    Disagree. The story can be told through a match. A character get get over more quickly in a match too. If it's not about the matches, then why don't we just watch soap operas? I don't like Russo and I think he probably got too much credit for the attitude era.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Disagree. The story can be told through a match. A character get get over more quickly in a match too. If it's not about the matches, then why don't we just watch soap operas? I don't like Russo and I think he probably got too much credit for the attitude era.

He did get too much credit. A lot of the attitude era came from ECW. the stone cold character, dx, the ? matches, all were borrowing from ECW. Hell, Sabu was innovative as a ? with all the ? he did with tables and moonsaults. Vince Russo got way too much credit
  • RespectedGENlUS
    RespectedGENlUS Members Posts: 53
    I couldn't agree more. Paul Heyman deserves some credit for being a genius.
  • ratchet bity
    ratchet bity Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    its all the way true people who love wrestling are gonna watch regardless but to get big ratings from casual fans gotta have them stories austin beef wit da boss, nwo takeover, dx doin funny ? , rock talkin ? , punk with da shoot gets everybody to watch
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russo is technically right but it shouldn't be that way. You can't just throw two cats out there and expect people to watch it. You gotta build the matches, especially your main events. You just gotta have matches though B. Russo is a fool and needs to be unemployed. How you gonna have a wrestling show without wrestling matches?