Man of Steel will set up Justice League movie, hints director.

Options

Comments

• Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    Options
    MobTown wrote: »
    Unless Christopher reeves is about to fly out the grave in a wheel chair wearing a red and blue suit, then no one really checking for supes like that anymore. Superman returns killed any chance for people to move past the 80's movies.

Batman is like an anti hero people love anti heroes.

Movie looks ok from what I seen but supe needs better villains on the screen.

GL would need a redo and flash and ww need movies to introduce the to the public. Disney beat dc to the punch and it may not work out for them

Come back in a couple weeks after that MOS trailer drops. Mark my words, Superman Returns won't even be an afterthought.

In regards to movies for the other JL members it's pretty common knowledge that WB/DC has no intentions of going the Marvel route with lead ups to JL. They in turn will go the opposite route and use JL to spinoff into their lineup as well as using it as launching point to reboot Bats.

• willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    JGL would be ? amazing as Batman. He is a fantastic actor, and would body this role. ? really need to get of this nonsense about the actors being the same look as COMIC BOOK heroes. DC lists Batman at 6'2 and 210. How in the world is this dude 210lbs???
    bat-man.jpg

The only thing that matters is how well the actor can fill out the character.

It's not even that the thing is they want JGL to reprise his role as from TDKR but how are you going do that if Bruce Wayne is one of the founding members of the Justice League? It makes no sense. Hire a new actor to play Batman and reboot Batman in the JL movie and use him for the new series of Batman films.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    so ? telling me a JLA movie wont outsell a Avanger movie at the boxs office when it comes out

Nope because Batman is the only one that is popular now. No one cares about super man on the big screen anymore.

LOL@ Aquaman being popular. Nobody gives a ? about Aquaman.

I hate to say it be true but ever since WB has been distributing the Superman movies the last 3 in the franchise has been horrible Superman III was the worst out of them. Superman returns was just boring as ? and Bryan Singer tried to go back and use the formula and continue the storylines of Superman I & II which made it look very outdated.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    willhustle wrote: »
    JGL would be ? amazing as Batman. He is a fantastic actor, and would body this role. ? really need to get of this nonsense about the actors being the same look as COMIC BOOK heroes. DC lists Batman at 6'2 and 210. How in the world is this dude 210lbs???
    bat-man.jpg

The only thing that matters is how well the actor can fill out the character.

It's not even that the thing is they want JGL to reprise his role as from TDKR but how are you going do that if Bruce Wayne is one of the founding members of the Justice League? It makes no sense. Hire a new actor to play Batman and reboot Batman in the JL movie and use him for the new series of Batman films.

Agreed. This is just not possible, he's either Bruce Wayne/Batman or he's not Batman. It will always be BRUCE WAYNE/Batman on the big screen....ALWAYS.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all ? really think all the most famous DC characters coming together to be on screen AT THE SAME DAM TIME wouldn't do better than the Avengers film? SMMFH only on the IC
  • ShencotheMC
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Flash, WW and Aquaman are all getting lead up movies.

http://screencrave.com/2012-06-08/warner-bros-developing-flash-woman-aquaman-films-precede-justice-league/

Last I heard Leo was interested in producing the Aquaman movie.

They shoulda just said ? all that and just put them on the screen like the JL animated series did. Only characters that had shows before that were Batman and Superman and that turned out great. Just show them coming together and going against Brainiac or Suicide Squad.

Kinda like this fan-made trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwZwaVl_280
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's what I'm saying...? are excluding a ? with the powers of the sea and translating that ? into a blockbuster? A dude faster than Carl Lewis? Wonder Woman?

Compare those characters on the big screen to that of Marvel's characters...its a lose situation. You want Wonder Woman or you want Jean Grey's Phoenix ass?

The only weak character (IMO) in the Xmen has always been Cyclops...other than that, they got a strong lineup.

Don't get me wrong, if they do it right, I would instantly give props. But its going to be a comparison thing and Marvel got it locked right now. All JLA got to stand on is Christopher Nolan's Batman and the upcoming Superman.

That's compared to the new Xmen that is coming out soon. The new Iron Man that looks hellified dope. Plus the Wolverine flick based on when he goes to Japan. That ? speaks volumes.

When JLA does come out, I hope they do a better script than Avengers tho for real.
  • CitySojourner
    CitySojourner Members Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think they're gonna differentiate themselves by having a different tone than the avengers, doesn't sound like much but it'll make a big difference.
  • ShencotheMC
    Options
    Seeing as though characters like Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman are more identified with being part of the Justice League...I'll take my chances with that movie doing better numbers than the avengers who had cats like Hawkeye and Black Widow in it who aren't even half as notable as any of the names I just dropped.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    Lol yea that's what I want to see...a ? who will ride dolphins to the final boss battle...

Wonder Woman...Black Widow

Flash...Hawkeye

Superman...Captain America

Batman...Iron Man

Green Lantern...Hulk

(somebody)...Thor
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only films DC ever took serious with the approach I think is batman..they not only made a good film but set themselves up for a trilogy...DC needs to be focused on setting up great individual films trilogies instead of trying to compete with avengers...they dropped the ball on that so its too late...give us a great superman film give us a trill wonder woman film, green lantern corps and flash....maybe incorporate jonzz in the sequel to superman film...and flash in a GL film
  • Still Cool Beans
    edited November 2012
    Options
    FYI...JGL and his reps killed that rumor a couple days ago.

Flash does more than just run fast lol and I'm not an Aquaman fan but if done correctly he can seriously be a dope supporting character. Don't know about carrying an entire film but within JL he can work. The reason why Marvel NEEDED the lead up films is because their characters were lesser known to the general public. The general audience didn't know ? about Tony Stark or Thor before the movies. Hulk and Captain America to a lesser extent were the most familiar of the crew. Everybody knows the Trinity (Supes, Bats, WW) and most people know Flash. My point is that a JL movie sans lead up flicks can be done. It basically comes down to execution. I'm with the few in here who thinks a properly done JL movie would murk them Avengers numbers quite easily. Supes and Bats alone is enough and truth be told if it was me in charge I'd do a World's Finest first instead. Bats could be rebooted in that. You could also have one or two quick cameos from JL members in their. Then go into JL if that's what they wanna do.

Also, in terms of tone, it's obvious that WB/DC is decidedly aiming for a different tone than Avengers. "Grounded" is the term that keeps popping up. That alone is going to differentiate their universe from Marvel's. It's all gonna come down to execution.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options

Flash does more than just run fast lol and I'm not an Aquaman fan but if done correctly he can seriously be a dope supporting character. Don't know about carrying an entire film but within JL he can work. The reason why Marvel NEEDED the lead up films is because their characters were lesser known to the general public. The general audience didn't know ? about Tony Stark or Thor before the movies. Hulk and Captain America to a lesser extent were the most familiar of the crew. Everybody knows the Trinity (Supes, Bats, WW) and most people know Flash. My point is that a JL movie sans lead up flicks can be done. It basically comes down to execution. I'm with the few in here who thinks a properly done JL movie would murk them Avengers numbers quite easily. Supes and Bats alone is enough and truth be told if it was me in charge I'd do a World's Finest first instead. Bats could be rebooted in that. You could also have one or two quick cameos from JL members in their. Then go into JL if that's what they wanna do.

Also, in terms of tone, it's obvious that WB/DC is decidedly aiming for a different tone than Avengers. "Grounded" is the term that keeps popping up. That alone is going to differentiate their universe from Marvel's. It's all gonna come down to execution.

After reading the bold, I realized you must be kissing the glass pipe. That's complete and utter nonsense. The Xmen movie was practically demanded by fans.

Superman, Batman, WW are known to people from the era of Jim Crow laws...
  • Still Cool Beans
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

After reading the bold, I realized you must be kissing the glass pipe. That's complete and utter nonsense. The Xmen movie was practically demanded by fans.

Superman, Batman, WW are known to people from the era of Jim Crow laws...

You do realize that Fox owns X-Men and Marvel owns Avengers right? I'm talking about the Avengers. Not Fox and the X-Men franchise.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    And Disney owns Marvel...your point is what? You sidestepping bruh

The discussion is not what company owns what but the familiarity of Marvel/DC characters with the general public and how it would affect ticket sales when the JLA comes to the big screen. Money talks.

I don't care who owns what. The point remains. People will recognize the patriotic CA, or the angry man turned green raging machine Hulk, and the arrogant playboy who dons the Iron Man suit than they will DC characters.

Those characters are household names. ? even I have heard some folks get Superman and Batman confused as Marvel characters.

I'm just being realistic here. What's the last DC movie that people recognized? Batman? Does the general public even know that was a DC movie? Meanwhile you got Iron Man movies, the drama over the Ed Norton version and Eric's with the Hulk. XMen movies. All these things, you know off jump, are Marvel.

People remember in the opening scene of any marvel movie, turning of comic book pages with the red background appearing behind white letters that say Marvel. So when they see a Marvel product, they will go to it due to the branding. When Marvel makes something, they are putting their stamp on it.

DC, at the current moment, have nothing to offer besides Batman. And even in the Batman movies with Chris Nolan, DC has not established their name brand.

It's called smart business and branding. Something DC has trouble with (with the big screen of course), especially with Marvel making so many moves as of late.

I'm all for a JLA movie. But DC needs to get their brand name out there to the general public. I'm not talking about the fans because you can't guarantee fans will support it, no matter what you say. They gotta make a believable statement. Superman is in the right direction but can the other character movies follow?
  • ShencotheMC
    Options

The discussion is not what company owns what but the familiarity of Marvel/DC characters with the general public and how it would affect ticket sales when the JLA comes to the big screen. Money talks.

I don't care who owns what. The point remains. People will recognize the patriotic CA, or the angry man turned green raging machine Hulk, and the arrogant playboy who dons the Iron Man suit than they will DC characters.

Those characters are household names. ? even I have heard some folks get Superman and Batman confused as Marvel characters.

I'm just being realistic here. What's the last DC movie that people recognized? Batman? Does the general public even know that was a DC movie? Meanwhile you got Iron Man movies, the drama over the Ed Norton version and Eric's with the Hulk. XMen movies. All these things, you know off jump, are Marvel.

People remember in the opening scene of any marvel movie, turning of comic book pages with the red background appearing behind white letters that say Marvel. So when they see a Marvel product, they will go to it due to the branding. When Marvel makes something, they are putting their stamp on it.

DC, at the current moment, have nothing to offer besides Batman. And even in the Batman movies with Chris Nolan, DC has not established their name brand.

It's called smart business and branding. Something DC has trouble with (with the big screen of course), especially with Marvel making so many moves as of late.

I'm all for a JLA movie. But DC needs to get their brand name out there to the general public. I'm not talking about the fans because you can't guarantee fans will support it, no matter what you say. They gotta make a believable statement. Superman is in the right direction but can the other character movies follow?

I just read this whole thing and....what?

So you saying the general public recognized Captain America, but wouldn't recognize the ? super friends/Justice League? Word?

The general public don't know that Batman is a DC character? Word?

Because they don't have an animation at the beginning of flipping pages DC isn't doing their marketing job? Word?

DC needs to get their brand name out to the general public? Word?

Bruh re-read everything you just posted then come to the same conclusion I did after reading it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXQyAmtqfXE
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T

http://screencrave.com/2012-06-08/warner-bros-developing-flash-woman-aquaman-films-precede-justice-league/

They shoulda just said ? all that and just put them on the screen like the JL animated series did. Only characters that had shows before that were Batman and Superman and that turned out great. Just show them coming together and going against Brainiac or Suicide Squad.

That's not a fan made trailer, that's intro to dc universe online. It's an mmo

• ShencotheMC
    Options
    MobTown wrote: »
    T

That's not a fan made trailer, that's intro to dc universe online. It's an mmo

Umm bruh...did you actually watch the video?
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    people reachin like a mug tryin to hate on DC in here smh @ the blatant fanboyism on display
  • CottonCitySlim
    Options
    Sorry I thought it was this

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0AnQ-p4cU8w

Which is th route they should go. Get that avatar money
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know what if done well the justice league film will ? it
  • CottonCitySlim
    Options
    ^^^
    thats how the movie should be handled. The power sets of the JLA is just too out there not to. Also Ill be damned if a 6 ft muscular Amazonian is played by a skinny 5'3 Hollywood actress
  • Still Cool Beans
    edited November 2012
    Options

Dude did you even read my original post you responded to? The point I was making in that post was that MARVEL/DISNEY with the AVENGERS (not FOX and the X-Men franchise) needed the lead up movies to set up the Avengers movie because prior to those films their characters were, IN FACT, not household names that the general audience were familiar with outside of Hulk and to a lesser extent Captain America. Are you really trying to suggest that the general audience was even remotely familiar with Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow or Hawkeye? Then you came in talking about X-Men which was completely irrelevant to the point I was making. I wasn't talking about Fox or the X-Men franchise. I was comparing the situation between THE AVENGERS and JUSTICE LEAGUE. Thus my response. YES, the DC Trinity is IN FACT, much more well known than any of the Avengers affiliated characters were prior to the movies. To suggest otherwise is absolutely ludicrous. I don't even need to justify Bats and Supes. The ? S shield is one of the most recognized symbols on the face of the planet. Bats is one of the most revered superheros in the comic universe. And despite never having a big screen adaptation and not even having a small screen presence in over 30 years, Wonder Woman is STILL one of the most recognized superheroes in the comic universe. Hell, every ? Halloween you still see countless females dressing up as WW. So to reiterate my point, the Justice League can be done sans the lead up movies and be just as, and likely more successful than the Avengers because DC isn't faced with the exact same issues Marvel was at the beginning of their endeavor. It will come down to execution. Like I said, if it was me though, I'd do a World Finest. Easier to execute and Supes and Bats together will murk them Avengers numbers.
  • Still Cool Beans
    Options
    And by no means am I suggesting it is. The caveat here is execution. A well executed World Finest or JL film will do Avengers numbers (and in my opinion likely surpass them). I'm speaking to that 1.5 billion worldwide gross. Cats can poo poo on Supes or WW all they want but the fact remains these are extremely recognizeable entities globally. You put together a well executed team up film with these entities and the general audience will flock in droves. People need to really sit back and think about a flim in which Superman and Batman are on the same screen together and imagine the type of excitement THAT alone would generate. Not only would it rival Avengers domestically it would ? overseas.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Still Cool Beans has said all i wanted to say.

Just Batman and Superman on the same screen would cause a frenzy