How is it possible for people to be so religious and yet know so little about human history

Comments

• Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoldChild wrote: »
    Atheism has been around as long has humans have been around, it may have not been called atheism, but it has always been around, as long as there was someone who did not believe in any ? (s).

In fact, here is an Atheistic tribe from the Amazon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirahã_people

the Pirahã have no concept of a supreme spirit or ? [11] and they lost interest in Jesus when they discovered that Everett had never seen him. They require evidence based on personal experience for every claim made. [5] However, they do believe in spirits that can sometimes take on the shape of things in the environment. These spirits can be jaguars, trees, or other visible, tangible things including people.[12] Everett reported one incident where the Pirahã said that “Xigagaí, one of the beings that lives above the clouds, was standing on a beach yelling at us, telling us that he would ? us if we go into the jungle.” Everett and his daughter could see nothing and yet the Pirahã insisted that Xigagaí was still on the beach.[13]

Yes, they are still atheist despite the bolded.
    Influenced by the Pirahã's concept of truth,[9] his belief in Christianity slowly diminished and he became an atheist. He says that he was having serious doubts by 1982, and had lost all faith by 1985. He would not tell anyone about his atheism until the late 90s;[10] when he finally did, his marriage ended in divorce and two of his three children broke off all contact. However, by 2008 full contact and relations have been restored with his children, who now seem to accept his viewpoint on theism.

Smh....
  • libertine
    libertine Members Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    To be honest when it comes to religion, I think it's wrong, unless their religion advocates hurting people, to tell a person what they believe in is wrong and everything they know is a lie.

The truth is all major religions are nearly the same.... And atheism is also a belief. The only true way to go is agnosticism. I find extreme atheists to be just as annoying as extreme Christians, and many people agree with this. Atheists and Christians both have a habit of feeling like they've got to convince you to their side and make you agree with them. (Or just tell your opinion when no one gave a ? in the first place.) Stop trying to convince anyone. Stop arguing about it. Read that some person believes differently than you and then go about your life. Who cares?

I'm pantheist, btw, if you would like to do any research on that one.
    Basically, I'm a hippie.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot doubt the teachings of my savior raptor Jesus and his father the based ? . There is no history to learn, I just need to believe on the faith.
  • Demarco27
    Demarco27 Members Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭
    Sour wrote: »
    why?

It would be foolish not to. How else are you gonna debate your faith when someone contests it?

Cause I don't care about human logic to study ? 's reasoning bruh. In my eyes, he a real ? that sees beyond ? I can know on my own.

Ain't that the same ? Satan told Adam, eat a fruit, learn that ? on your own b.

This the reason right here. The Bible champions obedience and "faith" but never true knowledge and understanding.

Again....its the ? of the masses
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aahhhhhh great here goes another atheist circle ? thread to add to the collection.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same reason that in bad times ppl like dumb brainless entertainment

Bottomline life is hard and some ppl need that to make it through life rather it's true or not

Looking into science and history would go against what the want to believe and they may not understand human nature period so they ignore fact
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Aahhhhhh great here goes another atheist circle ? thread to add to the collection.

This isn't an atheist thread.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Demarco27 wrote: »
    why?

It would be foolish not to. How else are you gonna debate your faith when someone contests it?

Cause I don't care about human logic to study ? 's reasoning bruh. In my eyes, he a real ? that sees beyond ? I can know on my own.

Ain't that the same ? Satan told Adam, eat a fruit, learn that ? on your own b.

This the reason right here. The Bible champions obedience and "faith" but never true knowledge and understanding.

Again....its the ? of the masses

this right here... It's not about reason and practicality ..... its about that HIGH... that feel-good ....
    If you high.. and that ? feels good... any ol reason to justify your high will do..

you slip out of your high... then you prey and repent and blame it on "REALITY" ...

• libertine
    libertine Members Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

it doesn't have to be an athiest thread for the athiests to get off on preaching as much as the fundamental christians do.
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    people that claim to be atheist are dumb, becuz they think to be one means you dont believe in ? , when in reality the practice of an atheist is to believe in ? but put man first over ?
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got no beef with the bible, it's got a lot of gems in it. Tons of good advice. It starts being an issue, when people start following other people and not the bible. Like people that claim to go to church every sunday. Well, if that's your thing, the bible clearly states that saturday is the sabbath and I'm pretty sure that Jeremiah 10:2-4 says that a christmas tree is pagan and don't put that ? in your house. Even the pope recently came out and said that there were no animals at jesus's birth, probably because it wasn't in the winter. It also says that jesus was black but that still seems to be a minor technicality. If jesus was black, and a jew that could mean that the original jews were black and that would open the flood gates and I'm not trying to have white people jumping from building because their world is turned upside down. The klu klux ? worshiping a black man??? How Bizarre is that. I'm all for whatever helps you be the best person you can be but, if you're going to follow it, follow it right.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man created ? ..

So an individual has a choice to follow mans words regarding some fantasy blindly, or to question those words and require proof before man's words are accepted.

Any man who follows another mans word blindly is an idiot.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that's false and stupid. The Bible is full of Human history. There are many religious people that are aware of their past. You're a Jamaican, you should know this. Rastafari?

LOL most Jamaicans aren't even Rastafarian, the island is mostly Christian. I was brought up in the church (unwillingly) and i know for a fact i had no knowledge of the history Christianity and how it spread (the crusades, Vikings, wars,etc), i just blindly followed ? because it was passed down from one generation to the other just like how most religion are.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    libertine wrote: »

it doesn't have to be an athiest thread for the athiests to get off on preaching as much as the fundamental christians do.

And yet, we are 3 pages in and there is no one in here making an argument about the existence of ? (s).

Just because someone has an issue with religion doesn't mean they are an atheist.
  • usmarin3
    LOL all i am asking is, HAS ANYONE STUDIED RELIGION IN A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE?

Meaning have you studied the time period your religion came out, how your religion moved across the globe, the actors involved and the vessels use to spread it.

This thread has nothing to do with bashing religion, atheism, agnosticism,etc. This is straight religious research.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More nonsensical threads. ? the same ? can be said about what you learned. All your "human history" knowledge arent eye witness/first hand accounts. And anyway if person chooses a path that better their lives, why you hating?
  • usmarin3
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    More nonsensical threads. ? the same ? can be said about what you learned. All your "human history" knowledge arent eye witness/first hand accounts. And anyway if person chooses a path that better their lives, why you hating?

School knowledge is scientifically tested, it's based on logic, not blind faith.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you were there for the testing? Basically, your knowledge could have been misconstrued just like religion. You just believe the account a of group men with titles...no different than religious groups with men of titles.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a christianity or religion bashing thread?

neither.

It's a 'people who don't know certain bits of history' bash thread.

Like the people who think atheism is a white mans thing.

It is. Strictly Greco-Roman/Euro.

You're just repeating things you heard and thought sounded good but really don't work out on paper and I'll explain to you why. You use the argument that atheists are stuck in a greco-roman mindset by not believing in an anthropomorphic being, which if we look closely, logically, you are also stuck in a greco-roman mindset if you yourself do not believe in your ? being anthropomorphic. Luckily for you, your argument is flawed. It would make more sense to say that BELIEVERS are stuck in that G-R mindset given that they believe in the anthropomorphic being. Non belief in an anthropomorphic being isn't the G-R mindset.

Whether you believe your creator ? is anthropomorphic or not, your belief is still theistic. Being atheist has nothing to do with Greek/Roman/European mindsets. Have you forgotten that the greeks and romans were largely theistic? An anthropomorphic deity isn't exclusive to European thought. Take the African Vodun spirits and the Egyptian gods for example. And even then, all greeks and romans did not think alike.
    The Greek philosopher Xenophanes (570–480 BCE) said that "the greatest ? " resembles man "neither in form nor in mind".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism#In_religion_and_mythology

I would also like for you to explain how you believe your ? is not anthropomorphic, being that, to what I understand, you believe that your ? is able to think (including judging and forgiving) and make plans like a human would. The definition of anthropomorphic is: described or thought of as having a human form or human attributes, or ascribing human characteristics to nonhuman things.

Maybe your argument is really supposed to be directed at believers of an anthropomorphic ? , seing that assumingly, you don't believe in a ? with such traits. That would make perfect sense IMO; what you're saying now doesn't, which leads me to believe that you heard someone else say that, thought it was cool to say and ? up and got it switched around.

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prime example: Atheism is not a White man thing, when historically it originated with Greco-Roman philosophy and science and emerged in the European Enlightenment era.

What about Buddhists in ancient India who were non theists????
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ? doesn't exist explain the Bible. Thesists 1 atheists 0
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATHEISM is white people thinking and just like a lot of the things white people have created it is destructive to mankind.

People for the most part do not attribute the destruction created by followers of a religion to the religion itself.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Atheism is a religion and that's why I don't get into these debates. ? is a pointless battle of why can't y'all ? stop relying in faith and read a history book. Simple, we don't follow your religion of reliance of self knowledge. In other words, we don't view the world the same way y'all do like a Christian and a Muslim that practice different morals/ethics from each other.

What's sad is that y'all just as crazy as them Jehovah Witnesses that be on the 3 train bothering mafuckers at 6am in the morning, ? I look like holding a convo with your ass.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Is this a christianity or religion bashing thread?

neither.

It's a 'people who don't know certain bits of history' bash thread.

Like the people who think atheism is a white mans thing.

It is. Strictly Greco-Roman/Euro.

You're just repeating things you heard and thought sounded good but really don't work out on paper and I'll explain to you why. You use the argument that atheists are stuck in a greco-roman mindset by not believing in an anthropomorphic being, which if we look closely, logically, you are also stuck in a greco-roman mindset if you yourself do not believe in your ? being anthropomorphic. Luckily for you, your argument is flawed. It would make more sense to say that BELIEVERS are stuck in that G-R mindset given that they believe in the anthropomorphic being. Non belief in an anthropomorphic being isn't the G-R mindset.

Whether you believe your creator ? is anthropomorphic or not, your belief is still theistic. Being atheist has nothing to do with Greek/Roman/European mindsets. Have you forgotten that the greeks and romans were largely theistic? An anthropomorphic deity isn't exclusive to European thought. Take the African Vodun spirits and the Egyptian gods for example. And even then, all greeks and romans did not think alike.
    The Greek philosopher Xenophanes (570–480 BCE) said that "the greatest ? " resembles man "neither in form nor in mind".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism#In_religion_and_mythology

I would also like for you to explain how you believe your ? is not anthropomorphic, being that, to what I understand, you believe that your ? is able to think (including judging and forgiving) and make plans like a human would. The definition of anthropomorphic is: described or thought of as having a human form or human attributes, or ascribing human characteristics to nonhuman things.

Maybe your argument is really supposed to be directed at believers of an anthropomorphic ? , seing that assumingly, you don't believe in a ? with such traits. That would make perfect sense IMO; what you're saying now doesn't, which leads me to believe that you heard someone else say that, thought it was cool to say and ? up and got it switched around.

? ...

Why are you repeating this tired post you made in the blasphemy in Hip Hop thread?

I'm gonna make this brief so you won't think I'm making it up.

The beginnings of non-belief originated in the Ionian region of ancient Greece in the early 6th Century B.C.E. You had Greek philosophers back in those times that were only concerned with physical nature and interested in the question of “becoming,” or how the world works, its origins, and if there were a primary substance from which all things came.
    The conceptual framework of freethought was articulated in the ancient world was repeated again by those philosophers over the centuries with each resurgence of irreligion until it explicit or avowed atheism...somewhat like the spread of religion in the world. Kinda ironic, huh?

• Disciplined InSight
    Prime example: Atheism is not a White man thing, when historically it originated with Greco-Roman philosophy and science and emerged in the European Enlightenment era.

What about Buddhists in ancient India who were non theists????

But Buddhism is monotheistic in a pantheistic sense not on the "one transcendent supreme creator ? ".

Even pantheism origins are in Greek roots. You ever heard of Greco-Buddhism?