Supplements if u bout that life

BelovedAfeni
BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
1. Fish Oil
Fish oil is known for delivering omega-3’s, essential fats that our bodies can’t make on our own so must get them from our diet. Even if you eat fish one to two times per week, you won’t be taking in enough omega-3’s to meet your body’s needs. By taking a high quality fish oil, you can reduce triglycerides, lower your risk of heart disease, improve recovery from exercise, protect your brain health, and potentially lower your risk of diabetes. Omega-3’s may even help with losing body fat. When choosing a supplement, pay seek brands that deliver a minimum of 2 g EPA and DHA (two of the three acids in omega-3s) daily.

2. Vitamin D
Plenty of data has suggested that the majority of Americans have less than optimal levels of Vitamin D. That’s not surprising – the nutrient is tough to get from food (though canned salmon, milk, and sardines are all good sources), and the only other method is sunlight. If you live north of Atlanta, the sun isn’t strong enough from November to March for you to make sufficient amounts. And even when you are outside, most people are covered with clothing and/or suntan lotion. Most experts agree that supplementing with at least 1000 IU’s daily is a good start.

3. Whey Protein
Whey protein is not an essential supplement, but it is a good one to have on hand. Because whey is high in branched-chain amino acids, it can aid recovery from exercise. More importantly, whey protein is a quick, convenient source of quality calories. Add some to fruit or a scoop of ? and you’ve got a perfect on-the-go meal that takes 60 seconds to make.

4. Greens Products
While not a replacement for fruits and vegetables, Greens products (fruit and vegetable concentrates) are a good “insurance” policy if your produce consumption is lower than idea. Less than 6% of men and 9% of women aged 5 to 34 consume the recommended minimum of five servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Greens can help fill this void. They’re especially handy when real produce is hard to come by, like during times of heavy travel.

5. Probiotics
Here’s the deal -- there are millions of different strains of bacteria in our guts. Some are good. Others, not so much. The bacteria in your gut can influence your overall health, digestion and immune system. Probiotics can help replenish and nourish your internal supply of good bacteria, sometimes leading to less gas, bloating, and abdominal pain. Aim for a product from a trusted brand that lists at least 3 billion organisms per serving. Keep it refrigerated after opening to protect those organisms.

6. Turmeric (Curcumin)
6.Turmeric is a spice commonly used in Indian dishes, and a key component in the spice is curcumin. Hundreds have studies have suggested that curcumin possesses a wide range of beneficial health properties, including a 2010 study that suggested curcumin has anti cancer, anti viral, anti arthritic and anti inflammatory properties. The nutrient’s very strong anti inflammatory actions are seen as one of the primary drivers of these benefits. You could just add turmeric to your foods if you enjoy that flavor, or seek a curcumin supplement that delivers around 500 mg daily.

7. Cinnamon
Another powerful spice, cinnamon has one of the highest antioxidant levels of any of the spices. Several studies have shown that cinnamon may improve insulin sensitivity, which improves utilization of carbohydrates and leads to better blood sugar control. Sprinkle it in shakes, on oats, yogurt, cottage cheese or wherever you’d enjoy the added flavor. Or if you want the[..]urance of getting a specific dose, you can choose a supplement. Studies have shown that 1g daily (about 1/2 teaspoon) is sufficient. Note: Cinnamon comes in two varieties -- Ceylon and cassia cinnamon – and most benefits have been linked to the cassia variety. Another note: If you have blood sugar issues, exercise caution if combining cinnamon with other diabetes drugs or supplements for blood sugar control.

8. Psyillium
Psyillium is a soluble fiber that can help lower cholesterol, regulate blood sugar in people who have diabetes, and help “move things along” if you’re a bit backed up. If you choose to supplement, start with small doses and build over time. Adding too much fiber too soon can cause some, ahem, odorous side effects.

9. Creatine
This one has stood the test of time. Creatine is one of the most extensively studied nutritional supplements, both in clinical research and by real-life athletes, and to date most findings indicate one thing: Creatine works. The supplement may enhance muscle function during high-intensity exercise, and cause muscle hypertrophy, likely due to increased water retention by muscle cells, although some data suggest there may be gains in muscle fiber diameter as well. Vegetarians may have a greater response to supplementation because of their limited intake of dietary creatine. While some advocate creatine loading, it isn’t necessary. Adding 3-5g per day can help improve strength or speed, or help you add on weight.

10. Beta Alanine
β-Alanine supplements have garnered interest over the last several years as several research investigations have linked its use to performance improvements. β- Alanine is the ‘beta’ form of the amino acid alanine, which muscle cells use to form carnosine. Carnosine is one of the more effective buffering agents in skeletal muscle, meaning that during high-intensity activity it helps stave off some of the things that slow you down.

Comments

• BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    natures-made-omega-3-fish-oil.jpg

[img]http://store.bbcomcdn.com/store/prodimage/? _26608/image_26608_450_white.jpg[/img]

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread this should be the natural and Vitamins threads....
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thread, let me add

41F9vgToaTL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
    BCAA's make up 35% of our muscles and have to be present in the body for muscle growth. On top of that they are used to balance hormonal release and brain functions. When you are working out with heavy weights or doing extended periods of cardio, having a supply of branch chain amino acids can benefit you greatly. This is because, when you work out your body quickly depletes your glycogen storage and starts sending a signal to stop protein synthesis. This makes your body become catabolic, which is exactly what we don't want. When you introduce BCAA into your body during a period of high stress (weight lifting) you can reverse this effect and allow your body to continue its protein synthesis. This can lead to better muscle gains, faster recovery between sessions, and greater performance.

Optimum_Nutritio_4ac5b8eb96cd5__51335_zoom.png
    Glutamine is found in beef, poultry, fish and diary products. It is also found in vegetables high in fiber (wheat, cabbage, beets and beans). Glutamine has many immunity properties and can be a source of energy for the muscles and brain, as well as assist muscle building. These properties are why glutamine is used to treat mental retardation, ADHD, and depression, as well as build muscle for weightlifters.

can-i-give-my-dog-flaxseed-oil.jpg

Flax Seed Oil is a blue flowering plant that is grown on the Western Canadian Prairies for its oil rich seeds. This natural oil (also known as Linseed Oil) is highly recommended for the general well being and whole body nutrition and is considered to be nature's richest source of omega-3 fatty acids that are required for the health of almost all body systems.

Flax Seed Oil contains omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids, B vitamins, potassium, lecithin, magnesium, fiber, protein, and zinc and also provides approximately 50% more omega-3 oils than what you could get from taking fish oil, minus that horrible "fishy" after taste. Sounded good to me already!

Some nutritionists, researchers, and scientists believe that it could be the most important health-promoting supplement next to a multi-vitamin. Nearly every system in the body can benefit from flax seed oil's natural properties, including the cardiovascular system, immune system, circulatory system, reproductive system, nervous system, as well as joints.

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most I ever took was Muscle Milk. Mocha is the ? .
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stick to real foods. I took supplements for years and once you stop buying, you start losing. I got better results from real foods. The supplements that I would probably keep buying is whey protein for postworkout, fish oil and a multivitamin. Thats it.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    RaySwift wrote: »
    I stick to real foods. I took supplements for years and once you stop buying, you start losing. I got better results from real foods. The supplements that I would probably keep buying is whey protein for postworkout, fish oil and a multivitamin. Thats it.

I feel you there. Personally the only time I f**k with whey is at the end of the day if I need to reach my protein macro goal and don't wanna go over with extra carbs or fats in (like I would with eating food). Besides that I don't even screw with it. I do not like drinking my calories. I do take creatine everyday as well as a caffeine pill and some beta alanine pre-workout.

I've played around with more than a few of those sups but most of them are a waste of money, time, and marketing hype in my opinion.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm gonna stop ? . With over the counter ? . None of it will do what real gear does and it's almost as expensive
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna stop ? . With over the counter ? . None of it will do what real gear does and it's almost as expensive

I might have spoken too soon. Put an inch on my arms using D-Aspartic Acid, PES Erase, & Mucuna Pruriens.