new york city cop buys boots for homeless man.....

Options
ATTS
ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
121129010008_nice-cop.jpg

A photo of a New York City police officer giving new boots to a barefoot homeless man in Times Square has created an online sensation.

The NYPD posted the photo of officer Lawrence DePrimo kneeling to help the man put on the boots to their Facebook page. By Thursday morning, the photo had been shared more than 82,000 times and liked more than 329,000 times.

Jennifer Foster of Florence, Ariz., says she was visiting Times Square with her husband on Nov. 14 when they saw a shoeless man asking for change. As she approached the man, she said a police officer came onto the scene. Foster took a photo and forwarded it and a note to the NYPD.

She wrote:

"Right when I was about to approach, one of your officers came up behind him. The officer said, 'I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let's put them on and take care of you.' The officer squatted down on the ground and proceeded to put socks and the new boots on this man. The officer expected NOTHING in return and did not know I was watching. I have been in law enforcement for 17 years. I was never so impressed in my life. I did not get the officer's name. It is important, I think, for all of us to remember the real reason we are in this line of work. The reminder this officer gave to our profession in his presentation of human kindness has not been lost on myself or any of the Arizona law enforcement officials with whom this story has been shared."

Officer DePrimo, 25, who joined the department in 2010, was shocked at the attention, The New York Times reports.

"It was freezing out and you could see the blisters on the man's feet," DePrimo said in an interview. "I had two pairs of socks and I was still cold." They started talking; he found out the man's shoe size: 12, the Times reports.

DePrimo went into a Skechers shoe store at about 9:30 p.m.

"We were just kind of shocked," said Jose Cano, 28, a manager working at the store that night. "Most of us are New Yorkers and we just kind of pass by that kind of thing. Especially in this neighborhood."

DePrimo told the Times that he keeps the receipt for the boots in his vest to remind him ''that sometimes people have it worse.''

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They aint all bad i guess.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    props to the pig
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ them slipping in the Skechers plug
  • GodNThaBuild'n
    GodNThaBuild'n Members Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? keeping that receipt so next time he see him he gon be like "Ay yo son, where my boots at?" Naw son them junts cost me such n such look yo I still got tha receipt.

By tha way [img]http://www.indybay.org/uploads/2012/04/17/? -the-police-two-wheels-1301008454i.jpg[/img]
  • blackjack2012
    blackjack2012 Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    most cops are actually good people so this doesn't surprise me.
  • Premeer
    Premeer Members Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Matthew 6:1-4
    “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you

none-the-less... still nice of him. he did a good thing. but kinda corny he wanted the camera on to do it. makes you wonder would he have done it if he wouldnt have got recognized for doing it. seems as if he felt he stumbled across an opportunity to counter on doing something nice.
  • sweetheart93
    sweetheart93 Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brings a tear to my eye.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Saw this ? and didn't believe it for one second. ? 's a publicity stunt for all the people the NYPD plans to ? over the holidays.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never been involved with the law before post^

• Premeer
    edited November 2012
    Options
    100 Prime wrote: »
    “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you

none-the-less... still nice of him. he did a good thing. but kinda corny he wanted the camera on to do it. makes you wonder would he have done it if he wouldnt have got recognized for doing it. seems as if he felt he stumbled across an opportunity to counter on doing something nice.

I remember I used that quote from the Bible in a 50 cent thread when he came to his hood and started giving out bikes or something like that but in this kind of case it seem like the officer wasn't expecting Jennifer Foster to take a pic. I don't get the impression he was looking for any accolades.

true. i would be kinda sawdy if i did this and the picture of me doing it was posted on the internet for the world to see. it would make me feel like a ? like i used his unfortunate situation to my advantage..

but while on the subject of helping behind closed doors and 50cent looking for publicity.. i read about how 2pac ran a program for foster kids and kids with parents who on drugs where he would play football, go out to eat and things like that. none of that was ever on record.. and it was free for the kids. NO CHARGE. it wasnt until yearsss after he passed that somebody he knew came out talking about that. thats a reason why i respect pac so much.. not only did pac talk about it (unless we shooting nobody notices the youth), he lived it sincerely.
  • blackjack2012
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

So all cops are bad to you?
  • Dr.Chemix
    edited November 2012
    Options

99.9 percent bruh. And why you hit me with feelings? I'm not mad cause you haven't been involved with the law. ? is that?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    nothing bad to say here
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think this cop killed some innocent ppl the same week adn sprinkled cracc upon them
    so he tried to buy his way to heaven with some boots for a ?
  • GodNThaBuild'n
    GodNThaBuild'n Members Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^Lmao got hit with them feelings tho
  • blackjack2012
    Options

99.9 percent bruh. And why you hit me with feelings? I'm not mad cause you haven't been involved with the law. ? is that?

What makes you think I haven't been involved with the law? I know they're good cops and bad cops out there.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im touched this is why i donate to the cops and firefighters every chance i get
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    It's that easy to smooth ? over with ? ?

Shoot 1000 unarmed ? , take a picture with 1 barefoot homeless man, and all is forgiven.

'Scust.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options

What makes you think I haven't been involved with the law? I know they're good cops and bad cops out there.

C'mon ? do I have to hold up flash cards? Because of your post. Most cops aren't good people.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that's def a good look

other then that i got no feeling towards the feds..
  • Premeer
    Options

I remember I used that quote from the Bible in a 50 cent thread when he came to his hood and started giving out bikes or something like that but in this kind of case it seem like the officer wasn't expecting Jennifer Foster to take a pic. I don't get the impression he was looking for any accolades.

true. i would be kinda sawdy if i did this and the picture of me doing it was posted on the internet for the world to see. it would make me feel like a ? like i used his unfortunate situation to my advantage..

but while on the subject of helping behind closed doors and 50cent looking for publicity.. i read about how 2pac ran a program for foster kids and kids with parents who on drugs where he would play football, go out to eat and things like that. none of that was ever on record.. and it was free for the kids. NO CHARGE. it wasnt until yearsss after he passed that somebody he knew came out talking about that. thats a reason why i respect pac so much.. not only did pac talk about it (unless we shooting nobody notices the youth), he lived it sincerely.

I remember Back in the day Jim Brown use to complain about Michael Jordan not giving back to the inner city youth when he actually did. He just didn't make it known.

I also remember reading the daily news of some surfer saving this guy. Everyone one was looking for this surfer and couldn't find him. When they finally found out how he looked like, his friends and family wasn't shocked because they said he does those type of things but doesn't care about the limelight. He visited the person he saved in secret.
    im feeling a spin off....

• blackjack2012
    Options

C'mon ? do I have to hold up flash cards? Because of your post. Most cops aren't good people.

Same could be said about black people
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    But the difference is, black folks aren't aware of the power they have to even consider the option of using it for malicious purposes like so many cops who roam the streets looking for an excuse.

oh well...
  • rooster_cogburn
    rooster_cogburn Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Easy on the generalizations fam. I have been arrested, and profiled like alot of ? on this site. Lot of ? ass cops out there, but props to homeboy, cause there are decent cops out there. Ive met and seen both.

what u sayin aint much different from when whites think we all out here doin stupid ? , cause they saw a young ? on the news doin the perp walk. Cmon fam, be better than that.