The Scottsboro Boys

Options
playmaker88
playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
No crime in American history-- let alone a crime that never occurred-- produced as many trials, convictions, reversals, and retrials as did an alleged gang ? of two white girls by nine black teenagers on a Southern Railroad freight run on March 25, 1931. Over the course of the two decades that followed, the struggle for justice of the "Scottsboro Boys," as the black teens were called, made celebrities out of anonymities, launched and ended careers, wasted lives, produced heroes, opened southern juries to blacks, exacerbated sectional strife, and divided America's political left.

Here are the accused..

scottsboro_boys_0.jpg

The accusers

The-Scottsboro-Boys-Photo-Ruby-Bates-and-Victoria-Price.jpg

The story

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/FTrials/scottsboro/SB_acct.html

Comments

• Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    look like they related to covet....
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    see...white girls and getting trains ran on them aint new....
    they grandmothers was hoez...its in they blood
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ lol

good thread. America has definitely had its share of miscarriages of justice in the courtroom throughout history. From Guiteau to Sacco and Vanzetti to the Scottsboro Boys to Mumia Abu-Jamal to OJ to Casey Anthony. It's about time we wake up and actually start reforming our court system. We'd be fools if we thought that things are perfect now.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    ^^^ lol

good thread. America has definitely had its share of miscarriages of justice in the courtroom throughout history. From Guiteau to Sacco and Vanzetti to the Scottsboro Boys to Mumia Abu-Jamal to OJ to Casey Anthony. It's about time we wake up and actually start reforming our court system. We'd be fools if we thought that things are perfect now.

You cant reform peoples minds..
  • Plutarch
    edited December 2012
    Options
    ^^^ lol

I realize that I might be flirting with irrationality here but I'm going to disagree. Changing people might be the hardest thing in the world to do, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

But yeah, if I'm understanding you right, if we're going to reform the court system, then this can only be done by changing the people involved in this system.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any ? in 1931 ? w/ a whitegirl is a renegade
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    the system wont change until white people get tired of black people gettin off.

an besides...them some lonely looking chicks. i think they needed to buss it open
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    From Guiteau to Sacco and Vanzetti to the Scottsboro Boys to Mumia Abu-Jamal to OJ to Casey Anthony.
    i'm not sure these are all on the exact same level...
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ lol

nah but you can start encouraging black folks to get on juries. Jury nullification is that joker card.
  • Plutarch
    edited December 2012
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    From Guiteau to Sacco and Vanzetti to the Scottsboro Boys to Mumia Abu-Jamal to OJ to Casey Anthony.
    i'm not sure these are all on the exact same level...

I'm not just talking about racial injustice. Generally speaking, all those cases involved some kind of miscarriage of justice.

Guiteau was discriminated against because he was legitimately mentally ill.

Sacco and Vanzetti because they were anarchists/Italian.

Scottsboro Boys and Abu-Jamal because they were black.

OJ was discriminated against but in a favorable way for him because he was a rich celebrity who could afford the best lawyers. But if it was me, they would've hung me on the spot.

Ok, I guess Anthony doesn't fit. I'll concede here. The prosecutors just ? up there. Though justice still wasn't served.

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NH, but my cousin is a playwright, and he wrote a play about this and I guess it some serious run out east. My dads side of the family is all crazy liberals that hate white people.
  • playmaker88
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    NH, but my cousin is a playwright, and he wrote a play about this and I guess it some serious run out east. My dads side of the family is all crazy liberals that hate white people.
    @Will Munny
    Interesting, explain.. and hate white people lol
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Sacco and Vanzetti because they were anarchists/Italian... OJ was discriminated against but in a favorable way for him because he was a rich celebrity who could afford the best lawyers. But if it was me, they would've hung me on the spot.
    the anarchists part might have been a legitimate reason to suspect them (at least at that time). as for OJ, i thought you were going to call ? on that whole civil case.

but actually, what i meant was they weren't all on the same level of injustice: for example, Giteau may have been legitimately insane enough to deserve execution, but he DID shoot Garfield, whereas the Scottsboro Boys didn't commit the crimes they were accused of
  • Plutarch
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Sacco and Vanzetti because they were anarchists/Italian... OJ was discriminated against but in a favorable way for him because he was a rich celebrity who could afford the best lawyers. But if it was me, they would've hung me on the spot.
    the anarchists part might have been a legitimate reason to suspect them (at least at that time). as for OJ, i thought you were going to call ? on that whole civil case.

but actually, what i meant was they weren't all on the same level of injustice: for example, Giteau may have been legitimately insane enough to deserve execution, but he DID shoot Garfield, whereas the Scottsboro Boys didn't commit the crimes they were accused of

Oh ok, yeah I see what you're saying. That's a fair point.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They lost their case primarily because of the lying ass accusers and they lacked a fair trial. Sad part is the NAACP didn't help them. Being poor & black in the South during the 1930s accused of ? ? They actually lucky they being railroaded and thrown in prison, they could have ended up "strange fruit".
  • playmaker88
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    They lost their case primarily because of the lying ass accusers and they lacked a fair trial. Sad part is the NAACP didn't help them. Being poor & black in the South during the 1930s accused of ? ? They actually lucky they being railroaded and thrown in prison, they could have ended up "strange fruit".
    yup and as a result most of them led tragic trouble filled lives

• Plutarch
    Options

Yeah I read that that was the first time a black man in Alabama wasn't executed for "? " a white woman.
  • Plutarch
    edited December 2012
    Options
    yup and as a result most of them led tragic trouble filled lives

Yeah one of them was shot in the face by a racist police officer. Suffered brain damage for the rest of his life.
    Powell%2C_Ozie_in_Hospital_1-24-36.jpg

But another one ended up shooting his wife to death before killing himself.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Lol @ mad beats... anyhow.. can mods deletes this post and the two above. thanks
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    @Will Munny
    Interesting, explain.. and hate white people lol

I don't know if they really hate white people, but they are ultra-liberal. but yeah dude is a play write and wrote a play about the Scottsboro Boys and lives in NYC. When I was younger he always said I could come visit, kinda wish I would. woulda been an adventure.