If you like leg day, you are an idiot

Comments

• Dick_Knubbler
    Dick_Knubbler Members Posts: 86
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I totally agree folk. I only believe in the SQUAT and DEADLIFT for legs, but I also round them out with the LEG PRESS and etc.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I totally agree folk. I only believe in the SQUAT and DEADLIFT for legs, but I also round them out with the LEG PRESS and etc.

Yeah, I did squats and deadlifts today. Them ? killed me but ? it. You gain alot of mass by working your legs.
  • Dick_Knubbler
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I did squats and deadlifts today. Them ? killed me but ? it. You gain alot of mass by working your legs.

Deadlifts suppose to make ya stroke better but I think Good-Mornings do the trick. This past Tuesday I put 185 on my back and knocked out 10 reps. But my goal for August in Deadlifts is 400 lbs.
  • dreadedbwoy661
    dreadedbwoy661 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Doing squats and regular deadlifts (not romanian) on the same day is not a good idea, it's better to spread those exercises out, it's like doing bench press and flat db bench press in the same workout. They both work almost the same muscle groups and because of that you are limiting your gains. Especially if you are doing squats first, you are limiting the amount of weight you can deadlift. Plus, your lower back must feel like absolute ? .
  • Sourpatch Kid
    Sourpatch Kid Members Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    I don't even ? with deadlifts, I find them a waist of time when you can do other light lower back exercises. The lower back is a sensitive area, don't overwork on it.
  • Meet The Sniper
    Meet The Sniper Members Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    shadb33 wrote: »
    I don't like doing legs with my upper body so I have a separate day when I do legs and I swear it takes all the will power in me to go to the gym to do it. I hate leg press, squats, calf raises, etc. But I don't wanna look like an idiot with a huge upper body and chicken legs.

co sign to the illest power. I hate goin down steps after that ? . I be walking down steps all careful and ? like I'm 60 or something. I just leave any leg exercise to boxing. The weighted step running, jump roping and toe raises should balance it out right?

Right?
  • Sourpatch Kid
    edited July 2010
    co sign to the illest power. I hate goin down steps after that ? . I be walking down steps all careful and ? like I'm 60 or something. I just leave any leg exercise to boxing. The weighted step running, jump roping and toe raises should balance it out right?

Right?

It depends on how you want your legs to look. If you want lean runner's legs then jogging, jumproping and cardio exercises will get you that but if you want bigger thighs, squats, leg extensions, leg presses and hamstring workouts will develop that. Me personally, I mix it up and I isolate legs to one day with nothing else so I'll start off by running on the treadmill for 10-15 minutes, do squats, leg extension, leg abduction and inner thighs, calve raises and hamstrings on one day and absolutely nothing else. Sometimes I'll take a leg week off and just do cardio exercises like jumproping and jogging.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    I don't even ? with deadlifts, I find them a waist of time when you can do other light lower back exercises. The lower back is a sensitive area, don't overwork on it.

deadlifts aren't really meant to be a lower back exercise.
  • Sourpatch Kid
    edited July 2010
    Will Munny wrote: »
    deadlifts aren't really meant to be a lower back exercise.

What are they suppose to be for? I don't know but the way I was trained, you do deadlifts when you work out your lower back area. I see no way in which this exercise can workout any other part of your body.
  • Will Munny
    edited July 2010
    Push your hips back instead of bending over and lifing. Did you not even watch the video? It tells you all the muscle groups it works. It's not a lower back exercise, atleast not specifically.
  • Sourpatch Kid
    edited July 2010
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Push your hips back instead of bending over and lifing. Did you not even watch the video? It tells you all the muscle groups it works. It's not a lower back exercise, atleast not specifically.

Oh iight. . . . . .
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Deadlifts suppose to make ya stroke better but I think Good-Mornings do the trick. This past Tuesday I put 185 on my back and knocked out 10 reps. But my goal for August in Deadlifts is 400 lbs.

I'm at 410 (8x45lb plates, 2x25lb plates) on deadlifts now. I know I can do more once I get back in the gym on a regular basis.
  • Dick_Knubbler
    edited July 2010
    Doing squats and regular deadlifts (not romanian) on the same day is not a good idea, it's better to spread those exercises out, it's like doing bench press and flat db bench press in the same workout. They both work almost the same muscle groups and because of that you are limiting your gains. Especially if you are doing squats first, you are limiting the amount of weight you can deadlift. Plus, your lower back must feel like absolute ? .

Dude u are clearly mistaken. SQUATS werk QUADS all the rest are synergists.....DEADLIFTS work the BACK, HAMSTRINGS and TRAPS you are misinformed
  • konceptjones
    edited July 2010
    Squats primarily hit the quads, but also work the hamstrings, calves, and glutes if they're done on a smith, free weight they add a lot of upper body muscles to the mix by the sheer effort it takes to balance the bar and weight on your shoulders and back of the neck. This is the reason I can squat over 300lbs on a smith machine vs only 225 free weight.
  • Dick_Knubbler
    edited July 2010
    Squats primarily hit the quads, but also work the hamstrings, calves, and glutes if they're done on a smith, free weight they add a lot of upper body muscles to the mix by the sheer effort it takes to balance the bar and weight on your shoulders and back of the neck. This is the reason I can squat over 300lbs on a smith machine vs only 225 free weight.

Uhh u r aware smith squating makes u a ? right? The bar is only 15 lbs. plus you lack natural range of motion folk. So get ya skinny ass in a squat rack and do ATG squat and grow and BE a man and PWN!!!!!! Also SQUATS werk QUADS all the rest are synergists. You guys dont knw jack ? bout lifting
  • dreadedbwoy661
    edited July 2010
    Dude u are clearly mistaken. SQUATS werk QUADS all the rest are synergists.....DEADLIFTS work the BACK, HAMSTRINGS and TRAPS you are misinformed

Oh really?

"Deadlifts hit your quads, hamstrings, glutes, spinal erectors, abs, traps, and upper lats. "

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz35.htm

I think you sir are misinformed. Many other sources will say the same thing.
  • konceptjones
    edited July 2010
    Uhh u r aware smith squating makes u a ? right? The bar is only 15 lbs. plus you lack natural range of motion folk. So get ya skinny ass in a squat rack and do ATG squat and grow and BE a man and PWN!!!!!! Also SQUATS werk QUADS all the rest are synergists. You guys dont knw jack ? bout lifting

You realize that not comprehending anything I wrote makes you akin to a knuckle dragging baboon, right? I clearly stated that I not only work on a smith (an angled smith machine for more natural movement at that) but I also do it free weight, something which was very CLEARLY stated.

I also noticed you believe that smiths only come with a 15lb bar. This is also incorrect. You can get them with a 15lb, 25lb, and 45lb bar.

skinny???

? please, I'm 6'1" tall and 235lbs.
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    I go to the gym for me and me only. Nobody else. If i wanna use the smith machine a certain day I will and I don't give a ? what someone who isn't me thinks about it. Smith machine is great when you don't have a spotter and want to lift/squat heavy.
  • dreadedbwoy661
    edited July 2010
    ^^^
    Smith is bad on the knees. It would be better to go into a power rack and adjust the safety bars if you want a spotter. Also, if you need a spotter that badly, you may be doing too much weight.

But as you said you lift for yourself, so if you want to ? up your joints for yourself then so be it!
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    that's it? what about chest, back, and shoulders?

I do those, aswell.
  • konceptjones
    edited July 2010
    ^^^
    Smith is bad on the knees. It would be better to go into a power rack and adjust the safety bars if you want a spotter. Also, if you need a spotter that badly, you may be doing too much weight.

But as you said you lift for yourself, so if you want to ? up your joints for yourself then so be it!

nah, 'cause when I was younger and pushing over 300 free weight (adding it up in my head I'm pretty sure I was around 335, 6 45lb plates, a pair of 10lb plates, and 45lb bar), I wasn't doing ? without a spotter 'cause I was only 160lbs with that much on my shoulders.
  • Will Munny
    edited July 2010
    I do 225x8 my last set of 5 when I squat and I'm 135 pounds. I don't use a spotter, got them racks to save me.
  • Dick_Knubbler
    edited July 2010
    Oh really?

"Deadlifts hit your quads, hamstrings, glutes, spinal erectors, abs, traps, and upper lats. "

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz35.htm

I think you sir are misinformed. Many other sources will say the same thing.

Nope they are misinformed...they are regular as people like you and ?I and not exercise physiologist. The quads do not play a role in the deadlift as you think this is cannon
  • Dick_Knubbler
    edited July 2010
    You realize that not comprehending anything I wrote makes you akin to a knuckle dragging baboon, right? I clearly stated that I not only work on a smith (an angled smith machine for more natural movement at that) but I also do it free weight, something which was very CLEARLY stated.

I also noticed you believe that smiths only come with a 15lb bar. This is also incorrect. You can get them with a 15lb, 25lb, and 45lb bar.

skinny???

? please, I'm 6'1" tall and 235lbs.

Baboon? How dare you! You my good man are nothing more than a vagabond....besides Im a Gorilla. Now I might have over-looked what you said due to me becoming sleepy at my job which I work over-night. I apologize, if and only if I read wrong. Next the Smith Machine does come in
    different bar weights this is correct because I too have seen the new full ROM Smith Machine at this sport club. However I do believe you can attest to saying, or noting that I was speaking in general, because MOST of the SMITH MACHINES in GYMs atleast 85% on a whim
    have a bar that is 15 lbs. oh yeah 6'1'' 235lbs is small.....in my world lol in fair respect.
  • dreadedbwoy661
    edited July 2010
    Nope they are misinformed...they are regular as people like you and ?I and not exercise physiologist. The quads do not play a role in the deadlift as you think this is cannon

No sir you are misinformed. There are two types of deadlifts. Romanian deadlifts do not work your quads, but the other kind which is what I am talking about do.

Here are a couple videos, all of them are using their quads: