Metal Gear Solid 5 ?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm assuming motor vehicle accidents are more powerful than rex and ray since they've done more damage to naked snake and raiden.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Phantom Pain = Metal Gear Solid V?
    Just another Kojima mystery? Looks like it.

by Colin Moriarty
    December 7, 2012

The first new game revealed at this evening’s Spike TV VGA event was a project called The Phantom Pain. While it at first seemed like it could be a new IP from an unknown Swedish developer called Moby ? Studio, it’s pretty clear at this point that The Phantom Pain is actually a Metal Gear game.

More specifically, it seems like The Phantom Pain could very well be Metal Gear Solid V.

Sleuths around the ‘net have been poring over The Phantom Pain trailer, pulling out interesting tidbits that lend credence to this theory (apart from the fact that the main character in the trailer is a dead ringer for Big Boss, also known as Naked Snake). Before we get to all of the evidence, though, it's worth pointing out that phantom pain is a real term. The amputee seen in the trailer would likely be having phantom pain where he once had a hand.

For starters, the game's logo has some mysterious lines on it and leaves some other strange gaps. As posted by NeoGAF member Sn4ke_911 in this thread (and seen in the picture below), Metal Gear Solid V very clearly fits perfectly among those lines and gaps.

And how about this purportedly new studio behind The Phantom Pain? Moby ? Studio has a website, but it appears to be a ruse. Folks quickly Tweeted at us that the CEO of the studio is reported to be named Joakim Mogren. Why is that important? Because Joakim is an anagram for Kojima (the last name of Metal Gear’s creator, Hideo Kojima), while Mogren has tucked away in it the word “ogre”, Kojima’s project that’s been confirmed not to be Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

A quick WHOIS search of the Moby ? Studio domain name gives us precious little information, seen below. The website was only created a few weeks ago; the owner of the site and other information are well-obscured.

domain.jpg

One thing's for sure: The Phantom Pain project appears to be an Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game... at least according to the logos at the bottom of the Moby ? Studio website, seen below. (It's important to keep in mind that that, too, could be a ruse of its own. Something about this game says "next gen".)

360ps3.jpg

Another interesting layer to this story comes by way of Kotaku, which cites a Tweet from a man named Alex Rubens, who reports that people at the Konami party in the VIP section have The Phantom Pain/Moby ? Studio shirts on. Konami, of course, is the Metal Gear series' longtime publisher.

rubens.jpg

But what about the nitty-gritty of the trailer itself? There are a few interesting clues within the trailer that IGN’s Metal Gear Solid fans have been mulling over, e-mailing and Tweeting about. For starters, the man on fire in the trailer appears to be Volgin from Metal Gear Solid 3. And is that ? Mantis floating above the ground near the very end of the trailer? It appears so, though as one IGN editor (who’s a big fan of Metal Gear) pointed out, there are now quite a few ? Mantis-like characters in Metal Gear lore. So that being ? Mantis isn’t a lock.

Metal Gear Solid fans, let us know in the comments below what your theories are. What did you pull out of the trailer that you think is important or interesting? Do you think those characters are indeed Big Boss, Volgin and ? Mantis? Is this indeed Kojima’s Project Ogre, and are Project Ogre and Metal Gear Solid V one and the same?

Not surprisingly, Kojima has seemingly left us with many more questions than answers.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not gonna specualate....don't wanna get excited and then be letdown.....I just hope to see Grey Fox in this game
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    just watched the trailer and I seen nothing at all related to mgs. what does a british flag and a hook arm have to do with mgs? the whole presentation was not mgs style either.

Liquid is British and so is Zero... Also the map next to the flag is Africa, which the British had colonies in... Also, the old MG was set in Africa... As far as the hook... He might be under Physo Mantis control or he lost it in the accident that got him to the hospital...

any chance that floating person could be The Sorrow?
  • scoop1215
    scoop1215 Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    just watched the trailer and I seen nothing at all related to mgs. what does a british flag and a hook arm have to do with mgs? the whole presentation was not mgs style either.

Liquid is British and so is Zero... Also the map next to the flag is Africa, which the British had colonies in... Also, the old MG was set in Africa... As far as the hook... He might be under Physo Mantis control or he lost it in the accident that got him to the hospital...

i think its a young ? mantis and i think this takes place after ground zero's cause in the kojima interview from the anniversary of metal gear he said zero's is a prologue to metal gear solid 5. remember too from mgs4 when big boss told snake "eva stoled my body and replaced the missing pieces from liquid and solidus". one of the missing pieces could've been his arm.

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Joy killed The Sorrow...
  • themadlionsfan
    Options

The Joy killed The Sorrow...

I know but he still appeared in MGS 3 and 4 as an apparition....so you don't think that could be The Sorrow watching over Big Boss?