So wtf happened to Alicia Keys fanbase, wasn't this chick a multiplatinum pop chick a while back?

usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now she is doing Keysha Cole numbers. I thought she was one of those artist who could survive the storm of the music business and still squeak out platinum albums. It's not like she abandoned her content heavy music and jumped on some pop/house music like a Usher. Where is her fanbase at?

Comments

• Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing it >>>> Talking about it Lol...
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I guess folks don't like home-wreckers

Usher sold 10 mil off an album talking about cheating.

He's a man. Double standard??
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Dis girl is on FIREEEEEEEEE!

? like that but aint willing to buy it, unless u Beyonce u aint selling millions

Rihanna topping out around plat
    Mariah ? Carey did Gold last time.

only Bey, Taylor,Adele and Gaga selling units
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    Music industry/mainstream fans are fickle as ? and if you're not pushing the popular sound lots of folks won't be buying your ? . I hate the electronic bubblegum sound that's at the top now, but it seems to be what is selling the most. That and sappy/weird music like Gaga and Taylor Swift
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now she is doing Keysha Cole numbers. I thought she was one of those artist who could survive the storm of the music business and still squeak out platinum albums. It's not like she abandoned her content heavy music and jumped on some pop/house music like a Usher. Where is her fanbase at?

What ? her??? Her stepping away from the piano knowing that's what made her successful in the first place & her trying to become poor woman's version of Beyonce!!!
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're not rapping over 808's or singing over 909's, you're probably not getting airplay and not selling.

It's just the sad truth of today's music
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the above sounds like a good reason, but it's actually simpler than that: she took too much time off the wrong way.

If you look at most artists' discography, they're always good with two-year gaps with a few appearances here and there, but the minute they take three or better off while not being in the public eye at all that album usually tanks.

Attention spans are short as hell, so for an artist to completely disappear for YEARS out of the public more or less is career suicide now. Alicia Keys did just that.

If she'd dropped something around Empire State of Mind, she would've done numbers.

• azlion
    azlion Members Posts: 8
    I've had this c.d. a couple of days and I just think it's a step down from her previous work. Somebody should tell her to stop talking about dude's marriage being over when she started seeing Swizz. The fact HE never says anything about it makes Alicia look like a silly ? . What the hell does she expect a married man trying to get at her to say? Keys lost a lot of female fans over this. Still I think the low sales comes down to weaker music and the fact radio and tv just don't play Black female singers (especially R&B) like they did years ago.
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Her cd came out?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    The album is good. She won't ever remake Diary of Alicia Keys or Songs In A Minor so folks can stop expecting it. The song with Maxwell "Fire We Make" is dope, "That's When I Knew" is dope, "101" is sick, "Not Even The King" is too...album has alot of good songs on it.
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she made music that was actually listenable then she'd probably still sell. The DJ down here always saying "off the request line, here is ? fire!" No way people are calling in requesting that ? . And I do think the homewrecking thing sabotaged her career because the way people viewed her changed dramatically. She seemed so caring and smart and aware, not the type of woman who would sleep with someone's husband, not to mention she acted like it never happened.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    If it were going to affect her career why now and not when it first happened and she dropped an album that sold 400,000+ in it's first week? I agree it's most likely due more to the music not being as strong, and R&B as a whole genre not selling well period right now. The ? with Swizz Beatz is mainly old news...
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oceanic wrote: »

He's a man. Double standard??

She probably would've sold more if she actually cashed in on it by making her home-wrecking the theme of her album. Taking a woman's husband and then trying to be on some female empowerment ? ain't gonna work.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usher was at his prime on Confessions...Alicia's music started taking a downhill approach once she started doing other elements in her music instead of using what made her popular when she first came on the scene (the piano). And the ? between her and Swizz while he was still married to Mashonda didn't help much.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are over the screaming,being off tune & getting away with it because she's pretty and lightskinned, and that faux women's empowerment shtick...especially after seeing her hop on swizz cheats ? before the divorce was final.

THIS GIRLS AN ADULTEREEEEEEEEEEER....!

da ?
  • --vincenzo--
    --vincenzo-- Members Posts: 142
    edited December 2012
    she just dropped a number one album and a pretty decent one even more
  • Bookworm
    Bookworm Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confessions was a pretty dope album not to mention Confessions came out in 2004. You could still go pretty big numbers back then.

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    unless you adele or taylor swift aint no women selling like that hell Beyonce last album aint even plat yet i think. or should barely be plat
  • King Lee
    King Lee Members, Writer Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭
    I think she sold well, Beyonce probably one of the most infulential female artists right now barely went platinum aint no one selling like that and if they are its cause their new and soon these fickle fans will dessert them. The whole Swizz Beatz thing I don't think it hurt her.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like all these entertainers and musicians don't sleep around. ? outta here

What makes Alicia's case different?

She ain't gonna push numbers anyway but she makes good music IMO

These ? that 'sell' eg Beyonce, Rihanna, Taylor, GaGa all put out very disposable and wack music anyway
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking about her a couple days ago, I was like her music doesn't do it for me any more. I mean she sounds good, but her songs aren't as good. That "? fire" track I never really came around to it. Then the remix came out, smh. Nicki Minaj can't go every song.

Her last album was dope.