Can we agree that Janklow needs to have his guns taken away now?

Options
2»

Comments

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    These people want infamy. I read up on the Columbine dudes. They were just nuts. They weren't even bullied. They did the bullying. They were planning on blowing up the school and their cars once rescue units arrived. They initially planned the attack on the anniversary of the Oklahoma bombing. No rhyme or reason to these psychos.. Similar to this case, it was their parents legally purchased weapons. Maybe people shouldn't be allowed to have guns in the home of known psychos. But, how would you know? There seems to be a common issue that these psychos had a trail of episodes displaying their issues and abnormal behavior patterns illuminated severe mental problems before they committed mass murder.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Considering I didn't say that they would, in fact I'm certain they won't. What I am saying is that these laws have to fit THIS timeframe and you can't rely on antiquated "constitutional" thinking to deal with current problems. You do an awesome job of cherry picking arguments I've noticed.
    oddly enough, it's like i quote things so that i can respond to them. be that as it may, your quote: "I doubt Alexander Hamilton and company wrote the 2nd Amendment to give people the opportunity to shoot up schools, workplaces, religious institutions, and/or each other." there's absolutely an implication that talking about the Second Amendment after such an event is co-signing such events.
    I also haven't said what needs to be done about guns yet (but gun control including a ban should be on the table).
    what you think should be done about guns was pretty much hinted at before you said this. but you also say "gun control ... should be on the table" as if we don't have any number of laws that regulate firearms on the books right now.
    There should also be little doubt that something needs to be done. Even "responsible" gun owners know that.
    i am a responsible gun owner and all the "something must be done" stuff sounds like unconstitutional or ineffective nonsense that does not need to be done. i DO like how you threw "responsible" in quotes as if to imply no gun owner is ACTUALLY responsible, though.
    Problem is that the gun manufacturers do all the talking when the NRA speaks, not the common member. Common members actually support many common sense regulations.
    this "common members actually support many common sense regulations" would be nice if a) the "common members" were ever shown to be ACTUAL members of real gun rights organizations and b) the "common sense regulations" were clearly stated in these polls. talking about a ban on semi-automatics is not seen by the average person as a "common sense regulation," but a poll seldom asks about a blanket ban of whatever sort.
    A real debate involves the common responsible gun owner and everyone else.
    i will say it again: this is a ? assertion made by people who are currently unsatisfied with the level of gun control we had. we had an assault weapon ban, and we had it sunset; we've had legislators put forth various pro and anti-gun bills over the years, with some passing and some not passing; we've had the courts weigh in on various specific matters. but this is not enough because you don't like the status quo... so we'll pretend the NRA/GOA/SAF doesn't speak for their membership and we'll pretend there's never been a public debate on the matter despite the fact that plenty of pro and anti-gun advocacy groups speak on the matter.

if you're anti-gun, whatever, that's your position. but this continuing claim of we need to have a public debate is lame as hell.
  • janklow
    edited December 2012
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    Because church freaks don't commit heinous acts right? Interesting how this ? doesn't happen as often in less culturally christian countries. triple C's..
    he's actually just ? because he has a persecution complex about his posting on this forum.
    They tried the serial numbers but criminals found away around it. So now its time to try something else.
    are we claiming that the ONLY legislation meant to regulate firearms was mandating serial numbers and nothing else.
    Gun Control does not mean ban all guns. It never has.
    it depends on who is saying "gun control." because there are absolutely people and groups who DO mean "i want to work towards a massive ban of some sort." and when we talk about other countries that rammed through major gun control measures, that IS the kind of thing that happened.
    It just a small, vocal minority that doesnt want background checks or doesnt think that theres anything wrong that any idiot with cash can go to a gun show and buy anything he wants.
    i don't think it's as small as you think, because it's not like we don't have laws RIGHT NOW that require background checks or regulate gun shows. again, we're talking about a crime in a state that has permit/waiting period requirements to purchase handguns; that has assault weapon registration and that has an assault weapon ban. and to add to this, the word right now (and i say this because the media's been all over the place on this story) is that this Lanza kid TRIED to buy a firearm and got rejected because of the background check.
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    Similar to this case, it was their parents legally purchased weapons.
    actually, in that case, they didn't get them from their parents, they bought them illegally from friends. doesn't really make it "better," of course.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Joe Manchin, most conservative Dem in the Senate, lifetime "A" rating from NRA, just called for a AWB on Morning Joe.

*Flava Flav voice* Wowwwwwwwwww.

Obama's empathetic emotional side and Obama's cold-blooded Machiavellian side have clearly been at war with one another the past few days. Manchin's full-throated support for AWB will prolly convince Obama to hold his breath and take the plunge.

So there. Looks like your deadly folding stocks, pistol grips, bayonet mounts, and flash suppressors shall be contraband once again, Janklow. Oh I feel safer already. BTW that Bushmaster rifle was LEGAL under both the old AWB and CT's current AWB law. Yep. And I'm sure the Gun Industry won't like, completely neuter this law like they did the last one by making tiny cosmetic changes to ensure compliance. Yay.

Meanwhile, we'll probably continue to gut State & Federal Mental Health services, just like we have over the past few decades. And the three biggest inpatient psychiatric facilities in the country will continue to be LA County Jail, Cook County Jail, and RIKERS ? ISLAND. Yes, seriously. Here's a link if you don't believe me. Rikers. Island.
  • janklow
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Obama's empathetic emotional side and Obama's cold-blooded Machiavellian side have clearly been at war with one another the past few days. Manchin's full-throated support for AWB will prolly convince Obama to hold his breath and take the plunge.
    Manchin can go ? himself with this whole "“I don’t know anyone in the sporting or hunting arena that goes out with an assault rifle ... I don’t know anyone that needs 30 rounds in a clip to go hunting." let me step past the fact that "assault weapons" ARE in fact used for hunting to the part where i hate the old white guy mentality (which used to be more popular) that long guns are only for hunting or we don't give a damn.
    So there. Looks like your deadly folding stocks, pistol grips, bayonet mounts, and flash suppressors shall be contraband once again, Janklow. Oh I feel safer already. BTW that Bushmaster rifle was LEGAL under both the old AWB and CT's current AWB law. Yep. And I'm sure the Gun Industry won't like, completely neuter this law like they did the last one by making tiny cosmetic changes to ensure compliance. Yay.
    ironic fact: my AR-15 was actually an AWB ban gun i bought RIGHT after the ban ended and then improved slightly, and which still lacks the DEADLY FLASH SUPPRESSOR that the AWB would not allow. and actually, i don't think it's my only "assault weapon" that dates back to the ban.
    Meanwhile, we'll probably continue to gut State & Federal Mental Health services, just like we have over the past few decades.
    you know what's easier than dealing with mental health issues? playing on emotions and yelling about guns. and the sad part is that a lot of these anti-gun politicians and the like would normally be upset about the current state of such things in America... but i guess it's not as important right now.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black market guns>
  • dr funky resurrected
    dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    proof that the original use for the AR-15 was for hunting:

819270_10151497730692518_1129955588_o_zps4355bf25.jpg
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The irony is the areas with the strictest gun laws have the most gun related deaths and violence, we ban guns and kats will be figuring out ways to cause explosions, snipe with crossbows or gassing trapped people. A killer will find a way to ? regardless of the tools they use to ? ...