Why are so many Americans losing their mind this year?

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in The Social Lounge
We all heard about the tragic situation with the monster who killed 27 people, including 20 kids on Friday. But what ya'll maybe haven't heard is the other shootings that took place this weekend as well, a guy shot up a parking mall 50 times in Cali and another guy shot up 3 people in a HOSPITAL in Alabama Saturday.......

http://news.yahoo.com/man-fires-50-shots-calif-mall-parking-lot-042034513.html

Then there was the other guy who shot up a mall on Wednesday......honest to ? I haven't heard of so many mass shootings in one year in America in my life. What the ? is going on? It seems American society is broken in so many ways, there doesn't seem to be a sense of community anymore, especially if adults are killing little first graders up close....is it the weak economy? People mad a Black president is in office? Cost of living being so high now?

What the hell is going on seriously?

Comments

• UnderMiSensi
    UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    It's because weed isn't fully legalized yet to calm down the public.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    It's because weed isn't fully legalized yet to calm down the public.

LOL it's a possibility bro......when I smoke trees the last thing I wana do is go out and ? people.....
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its a uniquely American problem. A ton of other countries have guns but don't have these problems. Part of it is the culture of fear, part of it is violence, a lot of it is gun availability, there is no one magic pill that will make this stop, it'll only get worse.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Its a uniquely American problem. A ton of other countries have guns but don't have these problems. Part of it is the culture of fear, part of it is violence, a lot of it is gun availability, there is no one magic pill that will make this stop, it'll only get worse.

Yeah you're right it is an American problem for the most part, you rarely hear about these things happening in other parts of the world. The culture of violence is pervasive, from the federal govt bombing people all over the world for never ending amounts of time to our almost instinctive pulse to use violence to teach people a lesson. It's a society issue that begins with how our govt treats people around the world it disagrees with and trickles down to the avg American. How can any politician start this conversation when most of our politicians are blood thirsty warmongers themselves? Martin Luther King Jr was right on the money in his famous Vietnam speech, we are the biggest purveyors of violence on the planet, but it seems America doesn't want to change its ways......
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Why don't you read Revelation 17 and 18 to find your answer? Oh yeah that's right, it's a book full of fables, myths, fairy tales, and legends. But yet, I still don't know the answer to these questions i'm asking because I refuse to look to the only place that has the answers. SMH. Talk about a dog chasing it's tail.
  • UnderMiSensi
    UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why don't you read Revelation 17 and 18 to find your answer? Oh yeah that's right, it's a book full of fables, myths, fairy tales, and legends. But yet, I still don't know the answer these questions i'm asking because I refuse to look to the only place that has the answers. SMH. Talk about a dog chasing it's tail.

circular-reasoning-in-creationism.jpg

28828055.jpg

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    Accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you will know the truth for yourself. Until then you'll remain blinded like the majority of mankind. And that's your free will choice. Amen.
  • scoop1215
    scoop1215 Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you will know the truth for yourself. Until then you'll remain blinded like the majority of mankind. And that's your free will choice. Amen.
    tell this to all them people and children that died this week smh

• perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    seldom mass shootings>Routine suicide bombers
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    scoop1215 wrote: »
    tell this to all them people and children that died this week smh

Props to President Obama for qouting 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 in his speech tonight. But yeah,

Salvation is for anybody and everybody. Death comes to all human beings, whether it be abortion, still-born, SIDS, child death, adolescent death, teenage death, young adult death, adult death, and senior citizen death. It's appointed unto man, once to die and then the judgment.

How ? judges will be righteous, just, and holy. I believe that there is a certain age of accountability that the scriptures speak about which indicate that the blood of Jesus Christ automatically covers those individuals who died before they could make a consciensious decision for Him. Examples will be babies, children, adolescents, and mentally handicapped.

Amen.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    honestly, this stuff is nowhere near as common as the media makes it seem. but that's part of it: these guys see whatever event on the news making the last ? famous and it fuels them.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    honestly, this stuff is nowhere near as common as the media makes it seem. but that's part of it: these guys see whatever event on the news making the last ? famous and it fuels them.

Gun violence is still way too prevalent in this country. Crime supposedly is lower this year compared to past decades but gun deaths and shootings have been way too high, higher than other nations. The situation in Connecticut has illustrated just how deep this problem is, and the sad thing is there have been other mass shootings this week.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Why don't you read Revelation 17 and 18 to find your answer? Oh yeah that's right, it's a book full of fables, myths, fairy tales, and legends. But yet, I still don't know the answer to these questions i'm asking because I refuse to look to the only place that has the answers. SMH. Talk about a dog chasing it's tail.

I laugh at religious folk sometimes because the world was actually a worse and more evil place when religion had a stranglehold on America. Religious America had slaves for 300 plus years and had no problem exterminating people all over the world because they weren't Christian and were to be used and abused. This is the reason many people have no respect for religion, or at least don't take it seriously. The more religious a society, the more nutcases it creates if I take a look at world history. Don't bring religion into this.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    seldom mass shootings>Routine suicide bombers

Mass shooting used to be seldom but they seem to be getting more common lately. Shootings are without a doubt NOT rare, our murder and shooting rate is higher than most nations around the world. This is a big problem now. People are losing their ? minds in this country and we don't even know what the next copycat killer will bring.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    A good article I read on CNN last night........

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/16/opinion/greene-connecticut-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Has life in America gone insane?

We tend to talk about terrorism in terms of potential attacks from foreign shores, but on weekends like this one we have to acknowledge that the specter of terror seems to have become a part of the very atmosphere of American life. At a movie theater in Colorado, a shopping mall in Oregon, a school in a quiet Connecticut town ... the places change, the news media gather after the bloodshed, the police piece together the sequence of events, the grief counselors mobilize.

And somehow it all feels like flailing. At the end of a weekend like this one, do we feel at all secure that, having learned what we can about what has happened, the knowledge will help to prevent the next day and place of carnage? Of course not.
  • janklow
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Gun violence is still way too prevalent in this country. Crime supposedly is lower this year compared to past decades but gun deaths and shootings have been way too high, higher than other nations.
    no, VIOLENCE is too prevalent in this country. i suspect you'll find we have similar/higher rates of non-firearm violence as well, which should tell us it's not the guns --especially with them being inanimate objects and all-- that actually CAUSE the problem.
    Mass shooting used to be seldom but they seem to be getting more common lately.
    i think the key part might be "seem to be"
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Janklow said mostly everything that needed to be said, but I'll reiterate that we need to be cautious about how we receive news from the media, especially news from pop media.

It's a fact that American schools are actually very safe generally and relatively speaking.

I don't think that this year is too much, if any, different. Tragic ? like this happens occasionally. And if we want to stop it, then enforcing harsh gun laws might not only make it worse but at best will only treat the symptoms.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White people going crazy
    cause they are losing their sense of entitlement..
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Well...we Americans really don't have a genuine respect for what made this country what it is. No, I'm not particularly advocating that putting "? " back into America would fix this problem. It's not going to make America or ? any more respectable. But, it is to say that we take the freedoms that we have and use them as a front for our own selfish endeavors. Those shooters understood their rights to bear arms, but it meant at the expense of violating somebody's right to live. The press ain't so respectful either. They think that because they are associated with a major network that they can violate someone's right to privacy or rob them of any dignity...or in the case of the shooters, give them an audience. We have no respect for free speech for we find ourselves thinking we can say whatever we want at the expense of degrading someone. It's not to take any responsibility away from the shooters for what they did was wrong...but they may have been victims of the verbal abuse of those who really didn't care what their words did to people and it spawned people who did those horrific acts.

And on top of that, we really don't have respect for government...not just the citizen, but the people in office. We have people in office that have done careless things that have forced citizens to have to question the authority of government. And if government is not showing that it cares about how things should be ran, chances are the citizens won't care either.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Gun violence is still way too prevalent in this country. Crime supposedly is lower this year compared to past decades but gun deaths and shootings have been way too high, higher than other nations.
    no, VIOLENCE is too prevalent in this country. i suspect you'll find we have similar/higher rates of non-firearm violence as well, which should tell us it's not the guns --especially with them being inanimate objects and all-- that actually CAUSE the problem.
    Mass shooting used to be seldom but they seem to be getting more common lately.
    i think the key part might be "seem to be"

Fair enough, violence is way too prevalent in this country. I have no problem saying that. I'm not advocating for tougher gun laws or anything, I support gun rights but it really does feel people are getting crazier than normal these days. It's possible the media is getting to my head but that shooting in the elementary school has really made me look at American violence in a different way.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    White people going crazy
    cause they are losing their sense of entitlement..

Interesting theory.......
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Janklow said mostly everything that needed to be said, but I'll reiterate that we need to be cautious about how we receive news from the media, especially news from pop media.

It's a fact that American schools are actually very safe generally and relatively speaking.

I don't think that this year is too much, if any, different. Tragic ? like this happens occasionally. And if we want to stop it, then enforcing harsh gun laws might not only make it worse but at best will only treat the symptoms.

I agree gun laws will not stop crazies from doing crazy things. If we ban guns a nutjob can just create a bomb like Timothy Mcveigh did and ? even more people. I'll admit maybe I'm overreacting to the crazy shooting that happened last Friday but it seems respect for human life is getting lower and lower in America lately. It could just be the human condition being ? up but I personally have never heard of a story so shocking in my lifetime in America happening to innocent kids. It's almost as if life isnt respected here anymore.
  • janklow
    Options
    Fair enough, violence is way too prevalent in this country. I have no problem saying that. I'm not advocating for tougher gun laws or anything, I support gun rights but it really does feel people are getting crazier than normal these days. It's possible the media is getting to my head but that shooting in the elementary school has really made me look at American violence in a different way.
    i am going to link to this: Are Mass Shootings Becoming More Common in the United States? small sample:
    In a more recent column, written after Friday's massacre of children in Connecticut, Fox argued that "if it seems like these dreadful crimes are occurring more frequently, it is really the immediacy and pervasiveness of media coverage that creates the impression. And thanks to state-of-the-art technology, it can feel as though the tragedy happened in your own backyard." Duwe has addressed the media coverage too, pointing out in a 2005 paper that mass murders in the 1920s and '30s were more likely to take place within families or during the commission of another felony. These are not the kinds of killings that tend to attract a high level of press attention.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Mass shooting used to be seldom but they seem to be getting more common lately. Shootings are without a doubt NOT rare, our murder and shooting rate is higher than most nations around the world. This is a big problem now. People are losing their ? minds in this country and we don't even know what the next copycat killer will bring.

Honestly I dont watch TV, or read the paper. I lack the common brainwashed depression that the media has issued for this incident. It is an incident. Do gun restrictions need to be administered because of it? Nope. Children have died and its sad, yeah I get it.

So lets recap, after 9/11 we got horrible airport security harassing everyone who looks suspicious because supposedly its a just cause. Police can conduct searches and detain people for any reason what so ever and put them in jail.

Now they are taking steps to take away our guns. You people are idiots*. Maybe if we shot every politician that tried to take away the rights of the public they would stop this fuckery...**

*(not calling kingblaze84 an idiot) Just frustration
    **(in no way do I advocate violence toward any political figure) Just frustration

• kingblaze84
    Options

Honestly I dont watch TV, or read the paper. I lack the common brainwashed depression that the media has issued for this incident. It is an incident. Do gun restrictions need to be administered because of it? Nope. Children have died and its sad, yeah I get it.

So lets recap, after 9/11 we got horrible airport security harassing everyone who looks suspicious because supposedly its a just cause. Police can conduct searches and detain people for any reason what so ever and put them in jail.

Now they are taking steps to take away our guns. You people are idiots*. Maybe if we shot every politician that tried to take away the rights of the public they would stop this fuckery...**

*(not calling kingblaze84 an idiot) Just frustration
    **(in no way do I advocate violence toward any political figure) Just frustration

LOL no offense taken because as I said, I don't advocate for the elimination of gun rights. I support them, what I'm just trying to understand is why Americans are so quick to use violence as a way to solve problems. I've been in some fights in my lifetime but I've never started one, just finished them (never lost a fight either). Maybe I should read the newspapers less but I'm always struck by people I talk to from overseas when they tell me they don't hear or see the kind of violence that happens here over there, even in most 3rd world countries. You don't watch TV or read the paper so you might be in the dark as to how violent a society we are compared to the rest of the world. Sad situation and again, I admit maybe the media is getting to my head a bit.