Could there EVER be another great black leader again?

Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
And if so, what would be their claim? What would they fight?

Part of Martin and Malcolm's mystique was that they took on up-front racism and segregation. But ever since the Jim Crow days have been abolished (at least in the public eye), what would a new black leader fight in this society?

Comments

• Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't need a leader...We need an Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines,United, Not our oppressor Religion,etc....
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this were to happen, the claim would be the other part of Martin's argument.

Racism is at its worst when people don't think they're racist and fail to realize idly standing by while injustices happen to people of a particular race is just as bad as committing the acts themselves.

The stuff he fought for in the 60s, while horrible, were like mushroom caps. The mycelium--or body--of the fungus is still there. Black folks today assume we've reached the pinnacle because we're not openly called ? and don't have to eat, drink, and sleep in certain places or get to call white folks "boy" and "girl."

For a new leader to rise, a certain type of intellectual charismatic individual has to rise and make people realize things are far from gravy and stop regurgitating ? Reagan "You can succeed with no one but yourself" divisive rhetoric.

His or her fight would boil down to fighting illusions of racism's decline, lack of community, and apathy.

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    problem with these "black leaders" (jesse and al)we have now, whenever they show up to something they make the movement/event about them.

them old ? need to get out the way
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any future great leader would have to stand up to our corrupt govt that loves to spend trillions fighting never ending wars and bailing out big banks while towns and other major cities nationwide suffer from budget cuts and high cost of living. He or she should also offer good ideas to improve the economy aside from more deficit spending. We can start from there.
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2012
    problem with these "black leaders" (jesse and al)we have now, whenever they show up to something they make the movement/event about them.

them old ? need to get out the way

Their not really in anybody's way though. The problem is that few other Black leaders today stand up for civil rights and justice, they're more worried about appearing not racist and prejudice. I give Al Sharpton and Jesse credit for at least pretending to care, how many other leaders spoke up for Trayvon and Amadou Diallo? Also don't forget families actively seek them out when ? up ? happens. I don't like Al Sharpton's opinions on hip hop sometimes but his heart is in the right place.

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no because negroes will tear em down call em media ? , half breeds and or ? and treat them like black coaches. while caping for a midget ? who supports their frivolous utopian beliefs
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Any future great leader would have to stand up to our corrupt govt that loves to spend trillions fighting never ending wars and bailing out big banks while towns and other major cities nationwide suffer from budget cuts and high cost of living. He or she should also offer good ideas to improve the economy aside from more deficit spending. We can start from there.

a black leader needs to place all that on the periphery of his objectives...cause black people are on the periphery of all that anyway..we get nothing but the "trickle down" effects of any remedies to all of what you mentioned ...if we even get that. and when we speak out about it we get "stop complaining" and "look what we done for you" , "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and all kinds of ?

just as the greatest black (and leaders of any people) they strove to inspire people to,and expose the significance of carving your OWN reality out of life. so,eventually, when you fall on hard times, youll have the capactiy to not turn and plead and beg for benevolence from a ? or group of ? who really dont give an iota of a ? about you.you can handle that in house..and if you gotta go out of your house, it can be from a position of a returnable favor,rather than some "oh help us, almightly liberal whites" type ? our chosen leadership be on.....? , that would only be EQUAL...isnt that what we all SAY we want?
  • kingblaze84

a black leader needs to place all that on the periphery of his objectives...cause black people are on the periphery of all that anyway..we get nothing but the "trickle down" effects of any remedies to all of what you mentioned ...if we even get that. and when we speak out about it we get "stop complaining" and "look what we done for you" , "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and all kinds of ?

just as the greatest black (and leaders of any people) they strove to inspire people to,and expose the significance of carving your OWN reality out of life. so,eventually, when you fall on hard times, youll have the capactiy to not turn and plead and beg for benevolence from a ? or group of ? who really dont give an iota of a ? about you.you can handle that in house..and if you gotta go out of your house, it can be from a position of a returnable favor,rather than some "oh help us, almightly liberal whites" type ? our chosen leadership be on.....? , that would only be EQUAL...isnt that what we all SAY we want?

Ok, so what should a great Black leader advocate for then?
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have The Honorable President Barrack Hussein Obama, Lupe Fiasco, Nas, Rick Ross, and our very own Towers.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order to have a great African American leader to take up the reigns from Martin, Maloclm, Al, and Jesse, there has to be strong and unwavering African American supporters. The problem today is that we have mastered the "crab in the barrel" mentality. That, coupled with the idea that all things European are best, is why we struggle to have strong leadership in our communities and political arenas
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    I give Al Sharpton and Jesse credit for at least pretending to care, how many other leaders spoke up for Trayvon and Amadou Diallo?
    i am pretty sure these were big stories that were promoted by people of all races, but maybe i am being overly generous?
  • kingblaze84
    janklow wrote: »
    I give Al Sharpton and Jesse credit for at least pretending to care, how many other leaders spoke up for Trayvon and Amadou Diallo?
    i am pretty sure these were big stories that were promoted by people of all races, but maybe i am being overly generous?

Yeah other people spoke out for Trayvon's murder but not with the same passion Al Sharpton and Jesse had. Many spoke in defense of Trayvon in bits and pieces, while the family asked Jesse and Al to get involved and they delivered. I give the media credit though for helping spread the story.
  • kingblaze84
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    We have The Honorable President Barrack Hussein Obama, Lupe Fiasco, Nas, Rick Ross, and our very own Towers.

I'm no fan of Obama but I give credit to all the men u named for at least being dedicated to what they believe. Except Rick Ross, how the ? is he a leader?

Towers....? Maybe I don't go to the GNS enough, he's made some good posts.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Its not about black and white.

<<<<<<Flash back>>>>>
    It's not about east and west, its about ? and ? , power and money, ridah's and punks.

Which side are you on?

But for real, its the "haves" vs "the have nots". The small portion of blacks that do have something are to quick to turn on their own.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People need to embrace positivity again and stop worshipping bad things. I'm afraid if these black leaders of the 60s die off (relatively soon), we gonna have a bunch of black folk worshipping Big Meech, current random rappers, and ball players as leaders of their community. We need to also embrace intellectual arguments into every black household without a resistance of any sort.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

I'm no fan of Obama but I give credit to all the men u named for at least being dedicated to what they believe. Except Rick Ross, how the ? is he a leader?

Towers....? Maybe I don't go to the GNS enough, he's made some good posts.

I was being sarcastic meaning that we don't have anyone who can step up to the shoes of today's global climate and bring us in to fruition. We only made it half way in the 60s now that has been 50 years ago and the world has changed dramatically since than.
  • playmaker88
    I dont understand how ? have co-opted the hate of Al and jesse of white people...

Real ? if Martin and Mlk came during these times they would be hated the same.. even more than they were then BY ?
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont understand how ? have co-opted the hate of Al and jesse of white people...

Real ? if Martin and Mlk came during these times they would be hated the same.. even more than they were then BY ?

Co-sign. It's usually people that are extra young or have no idea about the real ? both men have done. They go off of ideas formulated by White media as well as older ignorant Blacks. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have put in work and have put their lives in danger by consistently being on the front lines of race issues. When no one else could bring home hostages, the U.S. called Jesse Jackson and he brought them dudes home. ? need to do some research
  • playmaker88

Co-sign. It's usually people that are extra young or have no idea about the real ? both men have done. They go off of ideas formulated by White media as well as older ignorant Blacks. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have put in work and have put their lives in danger by consistently being on the front lines of race issues. When no one else could bring home hostages, the U.S. called Jesse Jackson and he brought them dudes home. ? need to do some research

yes and multiple times

People say they are attention seeking... blah blah..they bought attention to those situation.. I have no problem with this, they rode for many causes across the borders or race and land..they had missteps along the way.. but they were and are important to us and America as a whole..

ahhh.. ? it im done...
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already laid the blueprint. What we need another black leader for?
  • playmaker88

You can call it what you will leader, beacon.. blah blah they exist throughout the community
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order to have a great African American leader to take up the reigns from Martin, Maloclm, Al, and Jesse, there has to be strong and unwavering African American supporters. The problem today is that we have mastered the "crab in the barrel" mentality. That, coupled with the idea that all things European are best, is why we struggle to have strong leadership in our communities and political arenas

Please don't put jessie jackson and al sharpton in the same sentence with Malcom or Martin. Al and jesse a bunch of hypocritical self seeking attention ? . Im sick of the Sharpton and Jacson old ass old school "civil rights" leaders because they aren't about civil rights at all.

Al and jesse only come to the main stage when a black person is affected by a white person in society. They not out in chicago talking about the civil rights of young children in chicago being victims of gun violence. They MIA ? forbid someone who is not black is a victim of civil rights. Screw them ? ? . The best thing about MLK is he didn't just stand for black folk rights he stood for human rights.
  • playmaker88
    ...Lol goto sleep

guess you never heard of the PUSH coalition or Sharton going on a hungerstrike for Vieques or... ? do your homework..

why is it black people get looked down for only supporting their own anyway when other people do the same..
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can call it what you will leader, beacon.. blah blah they exist throughout the community

I see your point but honestly we need more black "leaders" in the household if anything.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't need a "leader" we do however need an intelligent spokesman for Black issues. Not just racial, but class issues as well. Someone who will speak out for Black women who are constantly under attack under the false "welfare queen" statements, someone who has the ? to stand up for Black men and up against the prison-industrial complex.

There's plenty of academics doing it: Cornel West, Tricia Rose, Michelle Alexander, and Henry Louis Gates among others but unless you some false flagging reverend people don't listen. These folks realize issues are rarely just Black and White, but also issues of gender and class inequality.

? need to stop waiting for someone to lead a march. They can arm themselves with factual information and do what's necessary for themselves. All sharpton & jackson do is bring media attention. Its difficult at times to tell whether the media is attracted to a situation because sharpton & jackson are there or if jackson & sharpton are there BECAUSE the media is there. In any event, the appearance of impropriety actually hurt their image, its got little to do with personal hate for either one of them.