"BRUCE LEE WAS NOT THE GREATEST MARTIAL ARTS MASTER OF ALL TIME" - Steven Segal

Options
Art-illery
Art-illery Members Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkPl6Gjiafo&list=UUI-Oq7oFGakzSzHFlTtsUsQ&index=20

SMH... Out of all time? That can be debated. Anyone up on martial arts history can tell you about masters like Miyamoto Musashi and Bodhidharma; but as far as the Twentieth Century is concerned, nobody is touching on the philosophies that Bruce practiced with the martial arts...

Comments

• rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Art-illery wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkPl6Gjiafo&list=UUI-Oq7oFGakzSzHFlTtsUsQ&index=20

SMH... Out of all time? That can be debated. Anyone up on martial arts history can tell you about masters like Miyamoto Musashi and Bodhidharma; but as far as the Twentieth Century is concerned, nobody is touching on the philosophies that Bruce practiced with the martial arts...

The term "of all time" is such a ludicrous one. I've read the Book of Five Rings and Art of War, and what people have to realize is that "fact checking" "editing" "Secondary Sources" "footnotes" didnt exist back then. So a lot of the "reverence" given to historically older master martial artists tend to be inflated. We have no idea how well Musashi's water technique actually worked in battle...all we have is here say. Now having said that the Masters...were Masters for a reason, they could whop ass well and efficiently. However the "mythos" attached to the Masters needs to be left out of the discussion.

As for Bruce...I think he was definitely one of the greatest martial artists ever. GOAT? We dont have enough info...

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seagal certainly aint the one to make such a claim. Its difficult to say, Bruce wasn't fightin on camera and not many demonstrations exist.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe not but his dedication, work ethic and legendary feats are hard pressed to be matched.. he was the total package.. hell he turned martial arts on its ear with his acceptance of all forms of the art his philosophies and jeet kun do
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Miyamoto Musashi and Bodhidharma are great Masters and i will also throw in Morihei Ueshiba.

But for the 20th Century you have to name BRUCE LEE and Gene Lebell
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anderson Silva will the beat the ? out of all of those guys.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Steven been doint M.A for over 50 yrs so he done seen thousands of folks who might've been iller so i cant call out on this.

Lee might've been GOAT on screen Martial artist tho
  • playmaker88
    Options
    You are being naive to not recognize his impact beyond the screen
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It may be true, but lol @ taking Steven Seagal's opinion about anything seriously. doesnt this guy pick fights and gets beat up in random bars regularly?
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can only go off of his movie when dude broke Lee's back and Lee got him back... He the GOAT in my book
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In Modern day influence? Number One. there is no debate in this aspect. In terms of Skill? no where even close to #1. in order to gauge such things, you have to actually have an idea of what the overall potential of a human being even is. I can tell you from experience that absolutely none of you riding for Bruce Lee even have an idea.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruce Lee made me want to be a ninja when i was little.

Still do tbh.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he's right. bruce wasn't a master. he was just a really good philosopher.
    Jeet Kun Do is a ? philosophy... not a got damn art

It was actually art, and philosophy combined. He took from different styles and said that any particular style only limits you. He believed in full expression of the body during combat.

The fact that we can put him in this arguement with out as much as seeing a real fight says a lot.
    The art of fighting without fighting
    Meroe wrote: »
    In Modern day influence? Number One. there is no debate in this aspect. In terms of Skill? no where even close to #1. in order to gauge such things, you have to actually have an idea of what the overall potential of a human being even is. I can tell you from experience that absolutely none of you riding for Bruce Lee even have an idea.

Have some idea. Bruce had pretty fast arms and legs and could do a 2 finger pushup and had a crazy 1 inch punch. He took his body to the limits for training. He used microcurrents to stimulate his reflexes and used headphones with sound distractions to further his concentration. Along with body building and hours and hours of endurance training. He ate raw meat smooothies for maximum protein intake. He was on another level, but I get what your saying and no one can definitively say otherwise.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let me guess he probably thinks it's his fat rolly polly ass Lmao, shut the ? up Steven!
  • rage
    Options
    Steven Segal claims he taught Anderson Silva his front leg kick....like he seriously believes that he did.
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who was the ? who choked Steven out and had him ? his pants?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jeet Kun Do is philosophy but everybody knows that, and its not a secret. One of Bruce's best quotes is to learn a style and then discard it and not allow yourself to be limited by a single style. Bruce himself never used a single style, he trained in multiple styles and then created jeet kun do to teach others how to do the same.

One thing that is for certain, Bruce was a physical phenomenon, especially for his size.
  • Art-illery
    Art-illery Members Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The guy who made Steven ? on himself was "Judo" Gene LeBelle. That dude is a bas muthafucka... Pink Gi and all. He even tutored Ronda Rousey.
  • rage
    Options
    Art-illery wrote: »
    The guy who made Steven ? on himself was "Judo" Gene LeBelle. That dude is a bas muthafucka... Pink Gi and all. He even tutored Ronda Rousey.

LeBelle was at a Segal demo and Segal thought he had another "super special move" to get out of choke hold. Lebelle put him in a rear naked, Segal started chopping at Lebelle's ? as his "special move"...after he got tired of doing that he went night night while ? himself.
  • playmaker88
    edited December 2012
    Options