The Ipod killer

ShencotheMC
ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was sitting at work watching old foxxhole radio when I looked at my phone and it was on the 450th of 900 songs. I thought " Damn I got a lot of music and damn this phone got a lot of space." Which got me thinking about something my high school marketing teacher told me about how in the next 5 years something would come around and ? the ipod because that's the product life cycle(you know, introduction, growth, maturity, decline, then ultimately obsolescence) and it got me thinking. When the Zune came out cats thought that would ? the ipod. How wrong they were. I remember some folks thought MP4's would ? the pod. Now I'm thinking will smartphones take over the mp3 game from the ipod? Will Apple just have the iphone as the ipod? Anyone else besides me see this occurring? I may be late, but I just want to know

Comments

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was sitting at work watching old foxxhole radio when I looked at my phone and it was on the 450th of 900 songs. I thought " Damn I got a lot of music and damn this phone got a lot of space." Which got me thinking about something my high school marketing teacher told me about how in the next 5 years something would come around and ? the ipod because that's the product life cycle(you know, introduction, growth, maturity, decline, then ultimately obsolescence) and it got me thinking. When the Zune came out cats thought that would ? the ipod. How wrong they were. I remember some folks thought MP4's would ? the pod. Now I'm thinking will smartphones take over the mp3 game from the ipod? Will Apple just have the iphone as the ipod? Anyone else besides me see this occurring? I may be late, but I just want to know

This has been happening for quite some time now
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know i'm probably but the ? like REALLY just hit me today. Ipod still running the game though and most likely will for some time now, just wondering how long will it be until there's really no outside mp3 players outside of cellphones
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see there still continuing to be a need for a dedicated music player, just because people use their phones for so many other things. The biggest change we're gonna see is the way the music/data to stored and retrieved. I can see future music devices not having internal storage at all, accessing everything from a cloud database through wifi and such.
  • UrbanScribe
    UrbanScribe Members Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    ^^^^ What he said. People will always want a dedicated listening device. Just having the feature available on the phone is cool but, for people like me sometimes i want to just use the iphone for phone purposes. And this cloud technology is basically the end of large storage space on phones anyway.