*reads thread title*
    *anticipates pics of said natural beauties*
    *"?"*
    *re-reads thread title*
    *sadly feels mislead*
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6,385 ✭✭
    @sixsicksins

Yes my sis!! Oils :x I'm on it! Will post photos of my own when I'm not cooking up this storm right here :)
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3bTlJ.jpg

^^^Here are some of the Shea Moisture hair products I have.
    Curl & Style Milk, Yucca & Baobab Thickening Shampoo, Moisture Retention Shampoo, Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and the Deep Treatment Masque.

They're goat.

I'll get a photo of all my oils and whatnot later. :)

I have these but they don't love my hair :-(

Smell great tho.

• SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    K4L25.jpg

Top row: Honey, Vatika Oil, Avocada Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Taliah Waahjid Protective Mist Bodifier, Kinky Curly Knot Today, Healthy Sexy Hair 'Pumpkin Potion', Aussie Moist Conditioner

Bottom row: Extra ? Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner (All time fave!), Shea Moisture Purification Masque

Not pictured: Black soap, Exfoliating Fruit Soap, & Shea Butter

:D
  • 2 Drawlz
    2 Drawlz Members Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    ladies what it do, to the hair experts : what can ya recommend to regrow edges?
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited December 2012
    Coconut oil
    Jamaican/haitian castor oil
    NOW Grapeseed Oil
    NOW Vegetable Glycerine in combination with 100% Goat's Milk
    Shea Moisture Leave in Conditioner with Jojoba Oil Aloe Vera & Vitamin E
    Fruit of the Earth's 100% Aloe Vera gel
    Witch hazel with Cleansing Pads for a Natural Astringent

Don't really mess with Jojoba oil or Olive Oil or Almond Oil.
  • 2 Drawlz
    edited December 2012
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    Coconut oil
    Jamaican/haitian castor oil
    NOW Grapeseed Oil
    NOW Vegetable Glycerine in combination with 100% Goat's Milk
    Shea Moisture Leave in Conditioner with Jojoba Oil Aloe Vera & Vitamin E
    Fruit of the Earth's 100% Aloe Vera gel
    Witch hazel with Cleansing Pads for a Natural Astringent

Don't really mess with Jojoba oil or Olive Oil or Almond Oil.

u already know i got the castor oil on deck. it gives me lil baby hairs that u can only see when oily.
    i tried Jojoba yet it made my ? worse. everything ain't for everybody.
    and the 100% olive oil ain't did a damn thing.

i'm def checkin the other stuff , and good looks on the info fam.

i'm guessing ya ? was ? up too, have these products made any serious progress for you?
  • SixSickSins
    8aw$3Man3 wrote: »

Hello! Castor Oil I've heard works wonders for edges. Keep applying. A few more tips:

-If you wear your hair pulled back, don't pull too tightly.
    -Massage your temples and nape area 2x daily to increase blood flow to the scalp which in turn aids in hair growth.

• 2 Drawlz
    8aw$3Man3 wrote: »

Hello! Castor Oil I've heard works wonders for edges. Keep applying. A few more tips:

-If you wear your hair pulled back, don't pull too tightly.
    -Massage your temples and nape area 2x daily to increase blood flow to the scalp which in turn aids in hair growth.

appreciates the tip lil mama
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2012
    I have to catch up in here.......

@8aws$3Man3

Castor Oil definitely works! Just make sure to only apply it where you want growth as close to the edges as possible.

Quick tip: When going to sleep don't pull your hair back. Overtime it tugs on the hair line and can pull it back, its best to leave hair loose when asleep, even when wrapping it or using a stocking cap is necessary.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Empress_ wrote: »
    I have to catch up in here.......

@8aws$3Man3

Castor Oil definitely works! Just make sure to only apply it where you want growth as close to the edges as possible.

Quick tip: When going to sleep don't pull your hair back. Overtime it tugs on the hair line and can pull it back, its best to leave hair loose when asleep, even when wrapping it or using a stocking cap is necessary.

Marley ain't tryna see no hairlines like this lol

tyushair.jpeg

But ima use alotta this stuff on my hair. Thanks ladies. Shout out to @Empress_ n @SixSickSins for showing their secret weapons :D lol
  • 2 Drawlz
  • [Deleted User]
    TrueraPP wrote: »
    To the IC males with dreads what do you put on your head before you sleep at night?

Once your locs have matured it isn't necessary to cover them when sleeping. Tying them up to prevent any frizziness is a good idea. For the first few months wrapping them/a stocking cap is important to keep them in place so they don't loosen. This assists with the maturing process. Twist them when necessary and use small amounts of whichever locing product you prefer and voila.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aiight experts...my daughter, three months old now...what natural products do yall suggest if any?
  • [Deleted User]
    tonys. wrote: »
    aiight experts...my daughter, three months old now...what natural products do yall suggest if any?

Olive oil and coconut oil, nothing more is needed for such a young baby. If you use Shea butter working that in her hair works also but the oils are awesome.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Empress, are you Vegan?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2013
    ^^ Hey brother.

I am a Vegetarian/Pescetarian

I eat fish, mostly small white fish.
  • twatgetta
    ^^ Hey brother.

I am a Vegetarian/Pescetarian

I eat fish, mostly small white fish.

Nice. Good job. I figure if somebody can put all that good natural stuff on the outside, the SURELY they can put it on the inside.

I'm a BIG Coconut Oil advocate myself. I swear by it. I use it in everything and on everything..lol

• twatgetta
    I'm 100% Vegan btw
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tonys. wrote: »

Olive oil and coconut oil, nothing more is needed for such a young baby. If you use Shea butter working that in her hair works also but the oils are awesome.

right on.
  • ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    During fall/winter I use Shea Butter. Daily, pretty much head to toe. Black soap and/or witch hazel for the face and neck. Occasionally olive oil for the scalp. When I had loc's I used fresh aloe from the leaf on my scalp to stay moisturized without clogging the pores (getting the gel in a bottle works too). Instead of cologne I tend to make my own oils (olive and almold or apricot kernel blended with different more "manly" essential oils): cypress, vanilla, a dash of bergomot, ? and sandalwood, and like a drop of clove. Spring/summer I tend to shift to pure coconut oil a bit more; seems to be lighter on my skin.

big up TG on the vegan tip--tho I eat cheese once in a while for the last couple of years (i missed 'real' pizza; soy cheese is mad expensive sometimes)
  • ra-mes1
    OK, so let me ask the ladies...my daughter is 9.Her mom is not so much into the natural products as much as she used to be and keeps getting her hair pressed (not permed per se, but still). If not that, then it's always in braids. The argument is 'well, you're not gonna take care of her hair so I have to do what's easy for me.' Girl has serious back to Africa hair--like, get her hair pressed, run in the sprinkler for 10 minutes and it's a waste of $30.

So my question is this: what products can/would you recommend that will keep her hair soft and *manageable* and easy to maintain but still naturally curly for a semi-single dad who would prefer for his child to let her hair breathe?
  • SixSickSins
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    OK, so let me ask the ladies...my daughter is 9.Her mom is not so much into the natural products as much as she used to be and keeps getting her hair pressed (not permed per se, but still). If not that, then it's always in braids. The argument is 'well, you're not gonna take care of her hair so I have to do what's easy for me.' Girl has serious back to Africa hair--like, get her hair pressed, run in the sprinkler for 10 minutes and it's a waste of $30.

So my question is this: what products can/would you recommend that will keep her hair soft and *manageable* and easy to maintain but still naturally curly for a semi-single dad who would prefer for his child to let her hair breathe?

Get a spray bottle (dollar store/sally's/wal-mart) and mix water, coconut oil, and extra ? olive oil. Water is the ultimate moisturizer and the two aforementioned oils are capable of penetrating the hair shaft and nourishing the strand. Shake well and spray it on 2x daily. There are also some good YT vids that give good advice and this blog--->http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/ offers great advice. Tell the mother to cut down on the pressing or your daughter will incur heat damage and grow up with the mentality that her hair is only "good" when it's straight. Instill healthy natural hair care practices in her early on and tell her her kinks are beautiful everyday :).
  • ra-mes1
    Six- Thanks. Much love. The crazy thing is both her mom and I had locks when we met, so she's "been there" but has kinda gone...mainstream. To be fair, the girl's been in braids (extensions) for the last few months. But yeah, I kinda get that slow burn when she has her hair pressed and everyone else is like, "oh your hair looks so pretty." So whenever her hair is out, albeit briefly, I tell her how much I love it. I have used both oils you mentioned when I can, but not in spray form. I have a feeling she will probably go natural on her own once she's old enough to take care of it on her own, like maybe 12.