The Official "Natural Beauty" Thread

Comments

• GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's rename this the "NUTS, BERRIES and GRANOLA" thread
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dnt really use any 'natural' products except for coconut oil which i put on my scalp and i blow dry my hair with Organic Olive oil hair moisturizer. bt i have to find SOMETHING for my hair during the summer b/c i try not to put any heat to it for abt 4-5 months to allow it to grow during the summer. bt a lot of these recipes seem like they could work. especially the water/olive oil/coconut oil. heck, i didn't even know coconut oil came in a liquid form smh
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    As a man, I'm Glad to see more going natural. I have to admit, it does take alittle getting used to though. Still dealing with those sidefx of brainwashing. LOl
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3bTlJ.jpg

^^^Here are some of the Shea Moisture hair products I have.
    Curl & Style Milk, Yucca & Baobab Thickening Shampoo, Moisture Retention Shampoo, Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and the Deep Treatment Masque.

They're goat.

I'll get a photo of all my oils and whatnot later. :)
    she took this pic outta my PB

• MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody nave any natural remedies for evening out ? skin tone?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6,385 ✭✭
    edited March 2013
    MzzKlapBak wrote: »
    Anybody nave any natural remedies for evening out ? skin tone?

Start with a microdermabrasion or scrub your face with a little baking soda or grinded coffee beans.

Mix coffe with olive oil or water.
    The coffee is invigorating and will liven up your skin while the olive oil will leave your skin super moisturized with a natural dewy appearance.

Once you have completed that, to get that evening, glow, use a shimmer lotion or highlight cheek bones and the T-zone using a gold or bronze shimmer powder/liquid.

I don't use eye shadow but if you are and wish to get a sleeker/wet look, slightly dampen applicator brush before applying color. This allows the shadow to glide on smoothly and set evenly while giving it that clean look.
  • MzKB
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tumeric mixed with lemon juice or olive oil is good for a more even complexion. Mix to make the paste and leave on your face for 15 mins. Wash your face really well and be careful cause tumeric can stain your clothes...
  • MzKB
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    *reads thread title*
    *anticipates pics of said natural beauties*
    *"?"*
    *re-reads thread title*
    *sadly feels mislead*

dead me too... i was like he let me finally check joint out..

First i was like :-?

Then i was like :-<
  • DiGiMusicLabelz
    DiGiMusicLabelz Members Posts: 6
    You can never ever go wrong with Castor Oil and Shea butter. Purity is what all natural products are all about. My mentor always told me that if you can't put it into your mouth and eat it, then you shouldn't put it on your body.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    I made a nice hand/feet exfoliator this weekend

Easy too

3/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of Dawn Olay ( the pinkish one )

mix together in a dish that you can cover ( like a jar or plastic container )

Use a small amount at least once a week

Afterwards use your favorite lotion

Hands and feet feel smoother than a baby's bottom :)
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try baobab or coconut oil, both are super moisturizing...
  • [Deleted User]
    As black women we age gracefully already but for prevention and to simply maintain nice, healthy skin here are a few simple suggestions:

1. Mash a banana until it has a creamy texture and apply it to your entire face for 30 minutes, bananas have so much more going for them than just a delicious and nutritious treat.

2. Coconut oil is the best option when it comes to natural wrinkle removal, since it rebuilds our skin tissue and will also leave your face skin moisturized and feeling smooth and beautiful.

3. Pineapple juice can easily rival any treatment, in fact it is much better, because they are packed with the enzyme bromelain which naturally eats away our top layer of skin when applied topically and leaves the new fresh skin underneath.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited May 2013
    I highly recommend the Justnatural Organic hair care line.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A1MZR6Q04D6ONF

I've tried shea Moisture products but my hair doesn't respond well to products that contain "shea butter". Aubrey Organics was good but they changed their shampoos and conditioners from coconut based to shea butter based and added alcohol.,As I am was cool but all their products contain alcohol or some other unnatural ingredient. Castille soap doesn't work for me even tho I use the Dr. Woods (not Dr Bronners) black soap for when my scalp gets itchy but sparingly (will get into that also). Desert Essence has something called soidum-coco-sulfate which is the same as sodium laurel sulfates. ANY WORD that has sulfates or anything that looks like SLS or menthol sls, or alcohol is bad. Sodium EDTA is bad also, anything ending in "-bens" is bad also. Also Desert Essence like AS-I-am had fragrances which are bad for hair. So I found this line. I think this is it for both men and women right here.

I believe in a moisturizer shampoo, a protein conditioner (basically volumizer conditioner) and leave in conditioner for basics. if you use protein treatments, styling gels or pomades 9(which this company has) I recommend using a clarifying shampoo every two weeks after those treatments at the end of the week and once a month use a apple cider vinegar mix (which they offer to keep the scalp ph balanced)

Everytime you shampoo, lather and just rinse (don't re-lather you're stripping natural oils when you over lather) then condition. use 100% satin or silk du-rags or scarves. Try using a wide tooth comb vs brushing.

For you wave heads a Diane brush is it, don't use that 360 gold crown wave ? unless you want to pull ya hair out for good (have you seen the creator of that bruh? Enough said)

Sleep on satin or silk pillow cases those are good for your scalp.

Last but not least what you drink and eat affects your hair and skin also. I've eliminated 99% of dairy products minus greek yogurt which have probiotics so those are cool. Still eat vegetarian friendly eggs tho. Also tried my best to eliminate meat, but thats a work in progress. I love turkeyburgers tho. nettle tea in the morning, chamomile tea at night. More vegetables than fruits. heavy breakfast in the morning light dinner in the evening.

15 minutes of sunlight a day for you people that sit in front of a computer all day. Running for 20 minutes outside a day is also good and covers that whole sunlight thing. One of the reasons why sunlight is good for us males especially is building testosterone, but the sunlight is a natural way of getting Vitamin D.

One last thing that affects beauty besides overall health is overall sleep. If your "parts" aren't responding as normal you probably didn't get enough rest. 8 hours is the average but varies from person to person some need seven or less some need nine or more. Just how it is.

Finally, remove the stress by any less stressful means anyways. In life you have to lose to gain.

My shampoo: African American Shampoo for Natural Hair
    http://www.amazon.com/African-American-Shampoo-Natural-Hair/dp/B001A4B3MY/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1MZR6Q04D6ONF

My conditioner: Thicker Hair Conditioner
    http://www.amazon.com/JustNatural-Organic-Care-Thicker-Conditioner/dp/B001A9C3BY/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1MZR6Q04D6ONF

My hair clarifier: Shampoo to Remove Build-Up
    http://www.amazon.com/JustNatural-Organic-Care-Shampoo-Build-Up/dp/B001A4F41A/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1MZR6Q04D6ONF

My Vinegar Rinse: Vinegar Rinse Cleanser
    .http://www.amazon.com/Vinegar-Rinse-Cleanser-fl-oz/dp/B001A6K9NG/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1MZR6Q04D6ONF

? is expensive tho, but just what I personally recommend as a base suggestion.
  • NCARCERATED_SCARFACE
    NCARCERATED_SCARFACE Members Posts: 25
    Empress_ wrote: »
    As black women we age gracefully already but for prevention and to simply maintain nice, healthy skin here are a few simple suggestions:

1. Mash a banana until it has a creamy texture and apply it to your entire face for 30 minutes, bananas have so much more going for them than just a delicious and nutritious treat.

2. Coconut oil is the best option when it comes to natural wrinkle removal, since it rebuilds our skin tissue and will also leave your face skin moisturized and feeling smooth and beautiful.

3. Pineapple juice can easily rival any treatment, in fact it is much better, because they are packed with the enzyme bromelain which naturally eats away our top layer of skin when applied topically and leaves the new fresh skin underneath.

Just Beautiful

• Aquafina..floe
    Aquafina..floe Members Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just wash my face with soap and water always have and rarely use makeup i found this has always kept my skin clear and healthy

the only problem i seem to have is oil control im afraid to put anything on my skin but soap though
    525577_10150906257100479_1669893783_n.jpg
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    1 teaspoon honey
    Plastic squeeze bottle
    shower cap or plastic grocery bag

Instructions:

In a small microwave safe bowl, combine coconut oil and honey. Microwave for 30-45 seconds, until coconut oil is liquid and mixture is warm. Stir together until well incorporated (there will still be some separation between the honey and oil). If desired, pour coconut oil mixture into a plastic squeeze bottle.

Over a sink, massage oil mixture into hair, starting at the ends and working up towards the scalp. After hair is evenly coated, wrap hair on top of your head and secure with a clip or hair tie, then cover with shower cap or plastic grocery bag. Let the mask sit on your hair for 10-15 minutes.

Thoroughly rinse out oil and shampoo as usual, taking extra care to wash out all remaining oil.
  • [Deleted User]
    Simple Avocado Hair Mask

1 extra ripe avocado
    3 eggs
    1/2 melted coconut oil (or olive oil)
    1/2 water

Leave for 30 min, rinse thoroughly, condition as usual
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ Concious_Nkechi I need somethin' to put on my ? Naps so I can maintain my Waves on Swim , what do you recommend Bronx Lady?
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    OK, so let me ask the ladies...my daughter is 9.Her mom is not so much into the natural products as much as she used to be and keeps getting her hair pressed (not permed per se, but still). If not that, then it's always in braids. The argument is 'well, you're not gonna take care of her hair so I have to do what's easy for me.' Girl has serious back to Africa hair--like, get her hair pressed, run in the sprinkler for 10 minutes and it's a waste of $30.

So my question is this: what products can/would you recommend that will keep her hair soft and *manageable* and easy to maintain but still naturally curly for a semi-single dad who would prefer for his child to let her hair breathe?

Well, the brazillian keratin treatment isn't an all natural product but I think it's a better alternative than a perm because you don't lose your curly texture & it makes hair more manageable.

I had that kunta kinte rough african hair too but after only one single use of the BKT, 6 months later my hair is AH-Mazing!

WARNING: There are different kinds of BKT treatments & some contain dangerous chemicals so do your research.

Nonetheless, I was able to do it by my self with no issues & my hair went from being a 4b/4c with sprinkles of 4a to having a head full of manageable 4a/3c hair. I don't plan to use the BKT again because I don't feel like I need to as my hair is exactly the way I want it. I do "heat train" my hair every couple of months to maintain the texture... but that's another story lol

• 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^

Pics of your hair after you had that Kunta Kinte rough african hair @Khaleesi
  • MzKB
    @sixsicksins

Does Shea Moisture still sell Yucca & Baobab Thickening Shampoo? I haven't seen that at all.
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides the fact that i'm a lazy fatty lol, I decided that i'm gonna do a no-heat, twist-out only challenge until my daughter is born. Meaning that I will only have my hair in a twist-out style until May & I will be locking away my hair dryer & straightener until then.

So far so good. I've gone 2 weeks so far & I honestly love it. It's so easy & more manageable than straightening my hair every 2 weeks. Instead of the usual wash, dry, & straighten which would take me 2 hours... I now just wash, twist, air dry, & call it a day taking 45 minutes tops.

I've observed that my hair is a bit dryer than it was when I used to straighten bi-weekly... & using oils makes my hair feel clumpy & nasty within a few days. Not sure what to do about this.

Products I use: Cantu shea butter, hawaiian silk spray, Jamaican castor oil, some other oil that I can't remember right now, creme of nature leave in conditioner, creme of nature shampoo, suave keratin conditioner, & Avanti silicon mix for my deep conditioning treatments.

Ofcourse I don't use all at once, my staple products that I use throughout the week are the shea butter, creme of nature leave-in.
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately I've been using the shea moisture curl smoothie and I love it. My avi is my hair in a 3strand twist out. Which is my new go to style for the winter. I only use coconut oil but I'm going to spray that olive oil/coconut oil mixture on my scalp to see what that does. Eventually I'm going to learn how to flat twist my hair..