I hate to say this but Is Spike Lee's Career almost over???

KingJamal
KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Like I said in the title I hate to say it but I think Spike's career is winding down. He really hasn't done Anything worth mentioning in a long time. And lately he's just come off as bitter and sad to say pitiful.

I saw Django Unchained 2day and I gotta say it was GREAT. Especially towards the end when the rampage starts. Spike is taking a HUGE L trying to condemn the movie. I mean Spike needs to make a movie that people want to see. He needs to stop riding Denzel's (My fav actor) nuts and just make a great film. Also don't set it in New York. I mean seriously.

Spike is looking like Larry Holmes out here

I hate to say this but Is Spike Lee's Career almost over??? 61 votes

Yes
22%
Purrvageneral08illestni99ainnePanchoYoSanchoSwiffness!Will MunnyRondre Sleaze TwinIdiopathic JokerHarlemThumzUpKameWhoisDonG???TheIraqsaracenwireRespectedGENlUS 14 votes
No
52%
rap mysteriobuttuh_ballieddwade206goodlookinoutplaymaker88texas409white715almighty breezerapmastermindmiamivice305loch121hueycobblandploccwaterproofsTaY_TrUeToppsmoedaysNothingButTheTruth 32 votes
Let's wait until his next movie to decide
24%
rageMdizzle9000rip.dillaits....JOHN BAjackson17StoneColdMikeyMister B.KingJamalArt-illerynj2089PiffyHazeEntangled_SemanticzRawAce2 DrawlzSplackavelli 15 votes

Comments

• TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I only say yes because I think alot of Spike Lee movies rub the Hollywood elite the wrong way.... He aint coonin so they dont really need him.... Also the elite don't like his views and opinions.........

And then there's this.................. n/h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLrSz0oNvs

Completely ruined him...........

• KingJamal
    edited December 2012
    He used to make sum great movies. Malcolm X, Mo Better Blues, Do the right thing , Bamboozled etc. But he's lost it
  • KingJamal
    TheIraq wrote: »
    I only say yes because I think alot of Spike Lee movies rub the Hollywood elite the wrong way.... He aint coonin so they dont really need him.... Also the elite don't like his views and opinions.........

And then there's this.................. n/h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLrSz0oNvs

Completely ruined him...........
    It ain't really about him not coonin'. Its just that he ain't making great films anymore
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    After Bambozzled which came out in 2000, the only Spike Lee movie I've heard of is Miracle at St Anna..... Does he have anything out between Bambozzled and Miracle at St Anna?
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol @ the review of django
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that red hook summer just leaked online IDK if I even care enough to watch it though
  • KingJamal
    edited December 2012
    After Bambozzled which came out in 2000, the only Spike Lee movie I've heard of is Miracle at St Anna..... Does he have anything out between Bambozzled and Miracle at St Anna?

That was the last film of his that I watched. It was mediocre smh

Spike is just Larry Holmes status now
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

25th Hour is decent. but its a cliche type movie
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    that red hook summer just leaked online IDK if I even care enough to watch it though

any1 watch it?
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    No
    First of all Django Unchained isn't great. And Spike isn't washed up I thought Inside Man was very good but he did have a major misstep with Miracle in St. Anna. I appreciate Spike and his film and will always support.
  • KingJamal
    edited December 2012
    LOL, So Spike Career is over cause you watched "Django" and liked it? 1st Spike never said the movie was bad or that the actors sucked or QT was a bad director. He simply sad the movie wasn't for him cause he felt making Slavery a shoot em up bang, bang western was disrespectful. Spike had a problem with the premise then the whole net exploded like he ? on everyone who was apart of the movie when he didn't.

Everyone judges movies before they see them. We all watch trailers all the time and certain movies do it for us and certain ones don't. Spike never held his tongue so it is what it is. But Spike Career is far from over, he has "Old Boy" coming out next year which has a built in fanbase and great cast. Also there are plans to make "THE LA RIOTS" film. Spike also has a great Documentary career and still does commercials. Spike is fine. LOL @ Spike career being over cause he doesn't want to watch "Django".

Do u need help with ur reading comprehension?
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    No
    KingJamal wrote: »
    LOL, So Spike Career is over cause you watched "Django" and liked it? 1st Spike never said the movie was bad or that the actors sucked or QT was a bad director. He simply sad the movie wasn't for him cause he felt making Slavery a shoot em up bang, bang western was disrespectful. Spike had a problem with the premise then the whole net exploded like he ? on everyone who was apart of the movie when he didn't.

Everyone judges movies before they see them. We all watch trailers all the time and certain movies do it for us and certain ones don't. Spike never held his tongue so it is what it is. But Spike Career is far from over, he has "Old Boy" coming out next year which has a built in fanbase and great cast. Also there are plans to make "THE LA RIOTS" film. Spike also has a great Documentary career and still does commercials. Spike is fine. LOL @ Spike career being over cause he doesn't want to watch "Django".

Do u help with ur reading comprehension?

No I read the post, why even bring up "Django" at all when you are talking about Spike Career being over? The two have nothing to do with each other. I understood you just asking a question but by bringing up "Django" it comes off like "oh Spike was wrong about Django is his career over".

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That ? career been over since 98!!!
  • rapmastermind
    No
    icks86 wrote: »
    That ? career been over since 98!!!

"Inside Man" came out in 06:

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $88,513,495 48.0%
    + Foreign: $95,862,759 52.0%
    = Worldwide: $184,376,254

Off 45 Million Budget. "St. Anna" was underwhelming but I'm looking forward to "Old Boy".
  • KingJamal
    LOL, So Spike Career is over cause you watched "Django" and liked it? 1st Spike never said the movie was bad or that the actors sucked or QT was a bad director. He simply said the movie wasn't for him cause he felt making Slavery a shoot em up bang, bang western was disrespectful. Spike had a problem with the premise then the whole net exploded like he ? on everyone who was apart of the movie when he didn't. Everyone judges movies before they see them. We all watch trailers all the time and certain movies do it for us and certain ones don't.

Spike never held his tongue so it is what it is. But Spike Career is far from over, he has "Old Boy" coming out next year which has a built in fanbase and great cast. Also there are plans to make "THE LA RIOTS" film. Spike also has a great Documentary career and still does commercials. Spike is fine. LOL @ Spike career being over cause he doesn't want to watch "Django". Also Hollywood kinda blackballs Spike cause he's a REAL ? , Hollywood doesn't like Real Strong Black men that tell it like it is. Spike never broke the box office but he's been making movies for 25 years just like Woody Allen who's movies never gross a lot. Spike has his audience and fanbase that support him. He's a Legend and has nothing to prove.

How can u "KINDA" blackball someone?

Bottom line is Spike hasn't made a good film in a long time. And all he is known for now is being bitter and being angry at other people's films. I have no problem with u saying his career isn't almost over becuz thats why I put the option up there.

• rapmastermind
    No
    LOL, So Spike Career is over cause you watched "Django" and liked it? 1st Spike never said the movie was bad or that the actors sucked or QT was a bad director. He simply said the movie wasn't for him cause he felt making Slavery a shoot em up bang, bang western was disrespectful. Spike had a problem with the premise then the whole net exploded like he ? on everyone who was apart of the movie when he didn't. Everyone judges movies before they see them. We all watch trailers all the time and certain movies do it for us and certain ones don't.

Spike never held his tongue so it is what it is. But Spike Career is far from over, he has "Old Boy" coming out next year which has a built in fanbase and great cast. Also there are plans to make "THE LA RIOTS" film. Spike also has a great Documentary career and still does commercials. Spike is fine. LOL @ Spike career being over cause he doesn't want to watch "Django". Also Hollywood kinda blackballs Spike cause he's a REAL ? , Hollywood doesn't like Real Strong Black men that tell it like it is. Spike never broke the box office but he's been making movies for 25 years just like Woody Allen who's movies never gross a lot. Spike has his audience and fanbase that support him. He's a Legend and has nothing to prove.

How can u "KINDA" blackball someone?

Bottom line is Spike hasn't made a good film in a long time. And all he is known for now is being bitter and being angry at other people's films. I have no problem with u saying his career isn't almost over becuz thats why I put the option up there.

"Inside Man" was a good movie. "St Anna" was average, I haven't seen "Red Hook Summer" but it's on netflix so I'm going to check it out. What I mean by "Kinda" Blackballed is he can still get work but after going after Clint Eastwood and speaking out on other racial issues in Hollywood he rarely gets the projects he wants bankrolled. Spike is a controversial figure cause he speaks his mind. But No he's career is not over.
  • KingJamal
    edited December 2012
    Damn someone ethered the ? outta Spike on Twitter lmao
    Spike Lee is angry at Quentin Tarantino for "disrespecting his ancestors" with Django Unchained. I'm sure they were real proud of Girl 6.
  • rapmastermind
    edited December 2012
    No
    Damn someone ethered the ? outta Spike on Twitter lmao
    Spike Lee is angry at Quentin Tarantino for "disrespecting his ancestors" with Django Unchained. I'm sure they were real proud of Girl 6.

Spike Lee made "Malcolm X" something White Hollywood tried to stop from being made with the funding. "Malcolm X" did more for Black Cinema and showing hour History. Ironically QT was in "Girl 6", lol.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMAO @ the Hollywood "blackball"....? love throwing that particular excuse for ? who just dont cut it anymore. Inside Man was Spike's last successful movie....6 YEARS AGO. So let me get this straight ? made Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, and Bamboozled, but got blackballed after Inside Man?? Riiiight....if Spike makes a movie worth watching people will go see it.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    Black Hollywood has taken that turn again. Before Spike it was only Blaxploitation flicks about pimps and drug dealers 'n ? . Then Spike crushed the buildings making movies about racial and social issues and White Hollywood through a wet towel on that ? career.

If a ? aint making a gangster flick, a pro-feminine black woman as victim movie, another one of those racing joints or a ? flick Hollywood aint trying to support it. Spike been getting played because he can't get funding to get his movies made. ? rich Blacks bankrolled the making of Malcolm X because nobody would support it.

That's what happens when keepin' it real goes wrong.

Black Hollywood is straight-to-dvd status these days. Black actors are forced to ? it up from Tyler Perry or be the token black on the white cable tv shows.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    rage wrote: »
    LMAO @ the Hollywood "blackball"....? love throwing that particular excuse for ? who just dont cut it anymore. Inside Man was Spike's last successful movie....6 YEARS AGO. So let me get this straight ? made Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, and Bamboozled, but got blackballed after Inside Man?? Riiiight....if Spike makes a movie worth watching people will go see it.

That's subjective.

The same reasoning would also apply to any director whose films fail to gross more than their budget (i.e Woody Allen, David Cronenberg, David Lynch, Sidney Lumet before he passed away, Francis Ford Coppola, Jim Jarmusch, Roman Polanski, and several others).

The studio refused to back the sequel to "Inside Man," despite it being a box office success. That's not Spike's fault.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Like I said in the title I hate

Yes, you do...