I hate to say this but Is Spike Lee's Career almost over???

Comments

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Yes
    Spike hasn't done a truly great non-documentary film since 25th Hour. That was 10 ? years ago.

Django, by all accounts, is the most brutal depiction of slavery we've seen on the big screen this side of the Tecora sequence from Amistad. Where the ? is YOUR movie about slavery, Spike? Hanh? Hello? Oh right, you're busy doing one of those wack-ass Hollywood remakes of a classic foreign film that recasts everybody w/ white actors. Shut the ? up and worry about making classic movies again, my ? . Seriously.

You know what were the last 3 movies he wrote a screenplay for? Red Hook Summer, She Hate Me, Bamboozled. Spike wrote the scripts for ALL his 80s/90s classics except Get On The Bus. He used to be a better Auteur than Tarantino. Now he can't seem to juggle being both a writer & director any more than M Night can.

What the ? happened to this dude?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who died and made Spike Lee the voice of black America or people of color in Hollywood? ? need to sit his ? ass down and worry about his own damn self.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When spike lee comes out and says he cant get anyone to fund his movies cuz hes black thats just mostly ? . Most of the time its cuz ? dont go see his ? . How u gunna ask someone to invest millions to ur movie just cuz u wanna make it, not cuz they'll get they're money back and then some. I'm sure when they tell him to ? with that ? .

• allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    No
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Spike hasn't done a truly great non-documentary film since 25th Hour. That was 10 ? years ago.

Django, by all accounts, is the most brutal depiction of slavery we've seen on the big screen this side of the Tecora sequence from Amistad. Where the ? is YOUR movie about slavery, Spike? Hanh? Hello? Oh right, you're busy doing one of those wack-ass Hollywood remakes of a classic foreign film that recasts everybody w/ white actors. Shut the ? up and worry about making classic movies again, my ? . Seriously.

You know what were the last 3 movies he wrote a screenplay for? Red Hook Summer, She Hate Me, Bamboozled. Spike wrote the scripts for ALL his 80s/90s classics except Get On The Bus. He used to be a better Auteur than Tarantino. Now he can't seem to juggle being both a writer & director any more than M Night can.

What the ? happened to this dude?

? to that.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    No
    Spike is a trend starter in the indie film world

He got some of the most important films made about the black experience

Recently,Red Hook Summer is a good movie and The Inside Man was great

Spike will always be a factor in Hollywood, He makes them money and that's what counts to them
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought Do The Right Thing was overrated as hell. ? was bland, boring, and average.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheIraq wrote: »
    After Bambozzled which came out in 2000, the only Spike Lee movie I've heard of is Miracle at St Anna..... Does he have anything out between Bambozzled and Miracle at St Anna?

this was so boring
    jono wrote: »
    Black Hollywood has taken that turn again. Before Spike it was only Blaxploitation flicks about pimps and drug dealers 'n ? . Then Spike crushed the buildings making movies about racial and social issues and White Hollywood through a wet towel on that ? career.

If a ? aint making a gangster flick, a pro-feminine black woman as victim movie, another one of those racing joints or a ? flick Hollywood aint trying to support it. Spike been getting played because he can't get funding to get his movies made. ? rich Blacks bankrolled the making of Malcolm X because nobody would support it.

That's what happens when keepin' it real goes wrong.

I agree with your points but at the sametime we can't just sit here and blame Hollywood without not blaming ourselves. Black in large won't go out and see positive/educational movies. When you say Hollywood won't support it you have to add in that black ppl won't support it either.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    On the low bamboozled is one of the most important films ever made
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »

I agree with your points but at the sametime we can't just sit here and blame Hollywood without not blaming ourselves. Black in large won't go out and see positive/educational movies. When you say Hollywood won't support it you have to add in that black ppl won't support it either.

True. ? hate ? and anything pro-black. People would rather support Quentin Tarantino (who I too think is a great director and I love his flicks) over Spike Lee when that ? isn't even necessary. You gotta diss Spike to like "DJango"? Really? ? are sooooo brain washed. So I can't like "Pulp Fiction" AND "Get On The Bus"?

But to your point, all of Spike's best movies were low budget Indy flicks, that's what he's best at. Low budget movies aren't blockbusters generally, and also the Black market is a small one. Even if everybody went to see Spike's movies it wouldn't change White Hollywood's perception. They want that WHITE money, because its a larger audience. Even George Lucas, who recently made "Red Tails" (about the Tuskegee Airmen) didn't want to make it because he figured nobody would go see it, by "nobody" he meant white folks. That's why it was advertised and marketed as a dog fight, airplane flick like it was "Top Gun" or some ? .

Truth be told bruhs, I gave up on Hollywood making some authentic Black ? . I stick to documentaries. White muhfuckas can get movies made about surfing, white kids and exotic pets (like whales, tigers, etc) but we can't get a proper MLK movie? Even crackers like MLK and none of them made a movie, but we get a new rip-off of "300" every damn year, there's always money for another "Madea" movie too. So I tapped out, leave the whites to make what they make, super hero movies and romantic comedies, just make a documentary and I'll watch it, support it and buy it. I already know that if any movie about Black people is actually made its going to be whitewashed anyway so ? it.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    .... um no..? these days..
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's wait until his next movie to decide
    loch121 wrote: »
    On the low bamboozled is one of the most important films ever made
    That was his last GREAT film imo

He ain't done ? since then tho
  • playmaker88
    No
    lol i knew will munny would be in here..
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    ima wait to see his next couple of films before i decide on that.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its hard to write spike lee off given his past history. Not only did he create do the right thing which is one of my all time favorites. But he is also a pivotal and instrumental figure in the history of the new independent film movement. Deserving to be mentioned alongside jarmusch, soderbergh, raimi, and the coens.

With that being said he has also directed a few questionable films that made u wonder how a director of his stature would ever release such worthless ? (girl 6, she hate me, st Anna, summer of Sam wasn't all that). But criticisms aside he's directed more memorable films than he has forgettable ones. But the last film I can say I really liked from him was the Italian job. Which was a remake that was better than the original. And it also leads me next point.

his upcoming project of the oldboy remake. In normal circumstances I would say that I'm tired of America butchering foreign films that were either classic or good enough on their own to not warrant another remake. oldboy being one of them. I mean I've seen it happen time and time again like with vanilla sky, dinner for schmucks, quarantine, pulse, and shutter just to name a few. But every once in a while some directors will do the original justice like with the departed. Even django but that was more of an homage to the original than an all out remake. And like I said earlier spike did good with the Italian job so I will withhold any criticism until I see it first.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Ounceman wrote: »
    Its hard to write spike lee off given his past history. Not only did he create do the right thing which is one of my all time favorites. But he is also a pivotal and instrumental figure in the history of the new independent film movement. Deserving to be mentioned alongside jarmusch, soderbergh, raimi, and the coens.

With that being said he has also directed a few questionable films that made u wonder how a director of his stature would ever release such worthless ? (girl 6, she hate me, st Anna, summer of Sam wasn't all that). But criticisms aside he's directed more memorable films than he has forgettable ones. But the last film I can say I really liked from him was the Italian job. Which was a remake that was better than the original. And it also leads me next point.

his upcoming project of the oldboy remake. In normal circumstances I would say that I'm tired of America butchering foreign films that were either classic or good enough on their own to not warrant another remake. oldboy being one of them. I mean I've seen it happen time and time again like with vanilla sky, dinner for schmucks, quarantine, pulse, and shutter just to name a few. But every once in a while some directors will do the original justice like with the departed. Even django but that was more of an homage to the original than an all out remake. And like I said earlier spike did good with the Italian job so I will withhold any criticism until I see it first.

U can't be serious lol

He didn't make that. The director of "Friday" made that. LOL @ u giving Spike credit for some ? he didn't do
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

True. ? hate ? and anything pro-black. People would rather support Quentin Tarantino (who I too think is a great director and I love his flicks) over Spike Lee when that ? isn't even necessary. You gotta diss Spike to like "DJango"? Really? ? are sooooo brain washed. So I can't like "Pulp Fiction" AND "Get On The Bus"?

But to your point, all of Spike's best movies were low budget Indy flicks, that's what he's best at. Low budget movies aren't blockbusters generally, and also the Black market is a small one. Even if everybody went to see Spike's movies it wouldn't change White Hollywood's perception. They want that WHITE money, because its a larger audience. Even George Lucas, who recently made "Red Tails" (about the Tuskegee Airmen) didn't want to make it because he figured nobody would go see it, by "nobody" he meant white folks. That's why it was advertised and marketed as a dog fight, airplane flick like it was "Top Gun" or some ? .

Truth be told bruhs, I gave up on Hollywood making some authentic Black ? . I stick to documentaries. White muhfuckas can get movies made about surfing, white kids and exotic pets (like whales, tigers, etc) but we can't get a proper MLK movie? Even crackers like MLK and none of them made a movie, but we get a new rip-off of "300" every damn year, there's always money for another "Madea" movie too. So I tapped out, leave the whites to make what they make, super hero movies and romantic comedies, just make a documentary and I'll watch it, support it and buy it. I already know that if any movie about Black people is actually made its going to be whitewashed anyway so ? it.

good points and pretty much just watch a documentary.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingJamal wrote: »

U can't be serious lol

He didn't make that. The director of "Friday" made that. LOL @ u giving Spike credit for some ? he didn't do
    your right, don't know why I always get that mixed up with inside man. Maybe because they're both heist films and are by black directors. My fault on that one. I've seen so many films it would make your head spin
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    No

U can't be serious lol

your right, don't know why I always get that mixed up with inside man. Maybe because they're both heist films and are by black directors. My fault on that one. I've seen so many films it would make your head spin

Inside man is probably the most commercial we'll ever see Spike get. I would like to see that side of Spike more though. I think it's fair to say everyone gets tired of Spike's history lessons and would just like to see him just do good proper film.

• playmaker88
    No
    ... typical new ? ...
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cobbland wrote: »
    rage wrote: »
    LMAO @ the Hollywood "blackball"....? love throwing that particular excuse for ? who just dont cut it anymore. Inside Man was Spike's last successful movie....6 YEARS AGO. So let me get this straight ? made Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, and Bamboozled, but got blackballed after Inside Man?? Riiiight....if Spike makes a movie worth watching people will go see it.

That's subjective.

The same reasoning would also apply to any director whose films fail to gross more than their budget (i.e Woody Allen, David Cronenberg, David Lynch, Sidney Lumet before he passed away, Francis Ford Coppola, Jim Jarmusch, Roman Polanski, and several others).

Sooooo Spike is like every other big name director...and not a pity case.
    cobbland wrote: »
    The studio refused to back the sequel to "Inside Man," despite it being a box office success. That's not Spike's fault.

Nobody said it was.....sequels get dropped everyday B.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    TheIraq wrote: »
    After Bambozzled which came out in 2000, the only Spike Lee movie I've heard of is Miracle at St Anna..... Does he have anything out between Bambozzled and Miracle at St Anna?

this was so boring
    Black Hollywood has taken that turn again. Before Spike it was only Blaxploitation flicks about pimps and drug dealers 'n ? . Then Spike crushed the buildings making movies about racial and social issues and White Hollywood through a wet towel on that ? career.

If a ? aint making a gangster flick, a pro-feminine black woman as victim movie, another one of those racing joints or a ? flick Hollywood aint trying to support it. Spike been getting played because he can't get funding to get his movies made. ? rich Blacks bankrolled the making of Malcolm X because nobody would support it.

That's what happens when keepin' it real goes wrong.

Exactly...Hollywood is about money they don't give a ? how they get it, they just want profit. They follow whatever the trends are in the box office. Go back to as recent a time as the late 90's when that rush of corny ass teen movies came out. You think Hollywood was bankrolling those corny ass films because they were good pieces of art of they thought the directors were cinematic masterminds? Hell no...they made money so they got done. Same with all the Marvel movies...studios saw Spiderman and Batman made money...so we getting a rush of sub par to ? super hero films (Fantastic 4, Green Latern etc) but they'll keep getting made until they don't make money anymore. You think Step Up 4 got made because they want to inspire the dance world or because the first 3 made money? If positive black films start dominating the box office you'll see a rush of them getting made too
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't get why they didn't do inside man 2. Hollywood really doesn't like spike.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Yes
    Spike Lee makes average movies nowadays and ? talking like he the voice of the black community. ? don't want to face it that Spike is irrelevant in Hollywood. He wasn't the first black filmmaker who shows his version of the black experience, and he won't be the last. ? blaming Hollywood for funding are too stupid to realize you don't need Hollywood to put your movie out nowadays.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    LOL, So Spike Career is over cause you watched "Django" and liked it? 1st Spike never said the movie was bad or that the actors sucked or QT was a bad director. He simply said the movie wasn't for him cause he felt making Slavery a shoot em up bang, bang western was disrespectful. Spike had a problem with the premise then the whole net exploded like he ? on everyone who was apart of the movie when he didn't. Everyone judges movies before they see them. We all watch trailers all the time and certain movies do it for us and certain ones don't.

Spike never held his tongue so it is what it is. But Spike Career is far from over, he has "Old Boy" coming out next year which has a built in fanbase and great cast. Also there are plans to make "THE LA RIOTS" film. Spike also has a great Documentary career and still does commercials. Spike is fine. LOL @ Spike career being over cause he doesn't want to watch "Django". Also Hollywood kinda blackballs Spike cause he's a REAL ? , Hollywood doesn't like Real Strong Black men that tell it like it is. Spike never broke the box office but he's been making movies for 25 years just like Woody Allen who's movies never gross a lot. Spike has his audience and fanbase that support him. He's a Legend and has nothing to prove.

GOAT!!!!!!!!!
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Smh @ the ADHD ? uniting...Spike's career is far from over. He's gonna set it straight with the Oldboy remake (even though IMO it probably shouldn't been remade.)