I hate to say this but Is Spike Lee's Career almost over???

Options

Comments

• BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like Spike Lee took the Shyne approach when he spoke his mind about Django.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Yes
    ? career been over his aint ? hot no more
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Red Hook sucked
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's wait until his next movie to decide
    Red Hook Summer was a nice small film.

All hope ain't lost yet
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanted my money back after inside man
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • darkrain
    darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Options
    My problem with him is he doesn't know how to "SHUT THE ? UP". He was talking mad ? on Clint Eastwood and Tyler Perry (Which I understand it why he went at Tyler Perry) but Clint?...come on. He made a fool out of himself and Clint shut him down.

It seems he's a bitter. I think he more angry at the Hollywood more than the directors.

He does fell off, his last good film was Inside Man. Miracle at St. Anna was just embarrassed. His career is not over but I'm looking forward to see Oldboy remake but I believe it's going be watered-down unlike original Olboy and we all know that Oldboy remake ain't gonna top over the original Oldboy. Any idea why Will Smith turned down?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    st. anna was pretty good so was the inside man....but he hasnt been relevant in a while and I hate hearing him moan and complain about what other directors do and the moves they make....
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She Hate Me was wack to me
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Smh at what I'm reading in here this is really some shameful ? . Spike is speaking up for his people and their depiction or lack there of on film and cats is saying he needs to shut up.

Fifty years ago yall woulda been them oreo cookie, milque toast, Tom ? that told Martin and Malcolm to know their place and not rock the boat.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    No
    Smh at what I'm reading in here this is really some shameful ? . Spike is speaking up for his people and their depiction or lack there of on film and cats is saying he needs to shut up.

Fifty years ago yall woulda been them oreo cookie, milque toast, Tom ? that told Martin and Malcolm to know their place and not rock the boat.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    allied wrote: »
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Spike hasn't done a truly great non-documentary film since 25th Hour. That was 10 ? years ago.

Django, by all accounts, is the most brutal depiction of slavery we've seen on the big screen this side of the Tecora sequence from Amistad. Where the ? is YOUR movie about slavery, Spike? Hanh? Hello? Oh right, you're busy doing one of those wack-ass Hollywood remakes of a classic foreign film that recasts everybody w/ white actors. Shut the ? up and worry about making classic movies again, my ? . Seriously.

You know what were the last 3 movies he wrote a screenplay for? Red Hook Summer, She Hate Me, Bamboozled. Spike wrote the scripts for ALL his 80s/90s classics except Get On The Bus. He used to be a better Auteur than Tarantino. Now he can't seem to juggle being both a writer & director any more than M Night can.

What the ? happened to this dude?

? to that.

? please, how many major Hollywood productions have been about American Slavery

they will make 100,000 Spartacus flicks before they greenlight a Nat Turner flick.

QT broke it down beautifully in that one interview where he talked about how America want any slavery film that does get made to be like "Roots" where the slaves are all these noble pacifists that forgive their masters for ? their wives and auctioning off their kids.

yeah, ? that
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    TheIraq wrote: »
    7868_zps04f49ff6.jpg

Obviously the theme of that movie went over your head...in the midst of Anthony Mackie aka Papa Doc from 8 Mile and his weak rendition of Tupac from Notorious ? and impregnating those lesbians..lol.

• Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Red Hook Summer was a disappointment in all honesty

He hasn;t had a good movie in years
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike lee more known for knick games these days. Aka he fell off
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    darkrain wrote: »
    My problem with him is he doesn't know how to "SHUT THE ? UP". He was talking mad ? on Clint Eastwood and Tyler Perry (Which I understand it why he went at Tyler Perry) but Clint?...come on. He made a fool out of himself and Clint shut him down.

It seems he's a bitter. I think he more angry at the Hollywood more than the directors.

He does fell off, his last good film was Inside Man. Miracle at St. Anna was just embarrassed. His career is not over but I'm looking forward to see Oldboy remake but I believe it's going be watered-down unlike original Olboy and we all know that Oldboy remake ain't gonna top over the original Oldboy. Any idea why Will Smith turned down?

That never happened.
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    Options
    No, he will make ? that he thinks is important. People are wrong as ? for him giving an opinion though. He aint gotta kiss nobodies ass....Black America= House ? just trying to fit in. No black film makers are pushing the envelope...Creativity in films in general isnt even the same
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Take the political talk out of this thread and focus solely on spike's art.

Spike showed that without being in his universe, using coming of age/peronal realization, and social discussion is where he fails.

He's too comfortable in his art, St. ANNA could've been the movie for more discussion of blacks in America who served this country BUT he went back to his comfort zone and bombed.

Red hook summer was written beautifully but he should move on as a producer/director from the crooklyn universe. The directing was slow, the young man was annoying acting wise, and we have already seen this story from spike but in fragments from his other movies.

We will see if he expands with Oldboy coming out but I highly doubt it.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    What was so bad at Miracle At St. Anna.
    i only seen @lechic say more than a couple words on it
  • RespectedGENlUS
    RespectedGENlUS Members Posts: 53
    Options
    Yes
    He has already moved on to his other career as the Knicks #1 Cheerleader
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this topic is subject to opinion y'know some hated miracle I liked miracle at st anna I saw red hook summer on Netflix it was a small film shot in digital. the movie was a little boring though until the plot twist and the signature spike lee camera work ,the actor remains still while the backround moves behind him. when I saw that I said to myself now it's a spike lee movie. I never saw old boy so I don't know what standard to hold his remake to.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Gregory talks about Spike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS34OiuNmG0&feature=player_embedded#!
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well Spike directs commercials for the NBA which I didn't know that until I was watching TNT and they showed the Magic/Nash/CP3 commercial so his career is far from over he is doing things outside of directing movies and writing scripts .
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Spike Career Over? Skyzoo and Talib have something to say about that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFGd2drY4OQ
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So let me understand you correctly. Spike Lee's career is winding down in your eyes because he doesn't have big budget films or the support like Quentin Taratino has? Yea I can read, I just don't think you understand, yourself, what you are saying.

So basically ? who went to go see Django came down with the Ruckus virus...the housenegroitis out this ? ?
    django-jackson.jpg

The funny thing is you, ? , got so many words for what Spike needs to do but you have none for a white maphuka who can never empathize or understand who you are as a black man (if you indeed black).

What? Come again? Naw you not saying that, right? You couldn't have come to this 'intellectual' notion that Spike's career is dead based off you all giggity like a high school girl about Django.

And while you ? talk ? , if Red Hook Summer and Belly played at the same movie theater most ? would support Belly and never even heard of Red Hook Summer.

If the black filmmaker isn't making a hood movie, yall ? don't give a ? about it. Like ? who worshipped The Wire. The writing wasn't compelling...it was the people and the situation that made it compelling.

Just like the T/S is now out here tap dancing for QT. Just tell me, what made Django such a ? good movie? Senseless violence? Hired ? killing white folks? The cinematography? The writing? The true to life characterizations? Just what is it that got you ? twirling around like ? school girls with your chris brown Right On posters?

? is disgusting