Does Belief in Santa Claus Affect Future Belief in ? ?

Options
Bodhi
Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Speaking of Christmas,

A lot of Christian (and generally theist) parents raise their children to believe in Santa Claus (along with a host of other fictional holiday/event characters such as the easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc.), later admitting or revealing to them that the characters and associated stories are false. Meanwhile, they support continued belief in a ? , of whom the child most likely held on the same level as any other character or story from childhood. What seperates one from the other; say, a ? from Santa? Do you think that encouraging your child to believe in imaginary characters such as Santa Claus affects the child's belief in a ? in the future?

Does Belief in Santa Claus Affect Future Belief in ? ? 23 votes

Yes
30%
jonoBiblicalAtheist BodhiBussy_Getta Billy_PonchoelementalPWYRM 7 votes
No
69%
janklowplaymaker88zombieVIBEDoUwant2go2Heaventexasdaking88NothingButTheTruth[Deleted User]purpngoldBoldChildDoctopianSleepwalkingInJapanMARIO_DROKatohhhlaYoung Stef 16 votes

Comments

• powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    it's cool, they (catholics) found a way to integrate all that pagan ? into what we call christmas. Behold!! I give you saint nicholas.... A saint that loved the kids thus earning him a place in heaven... Not bad for a made up german character.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    I voted no, but maybe I should've voted yes.

I think finding out Santa ISN'T real might teach a child not to just blindly believe in anything you're told, but to research and come to your own conclusion whatever that may be.

If we want to get all serious about it.

• Bodhi
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Yes

I think finding out Santa ISN'T real might teach a child not to just blindly believe in anything you're told, but to research and come to your own conclusion whatever that may be.

What would you say to your child if she asked you,

"If Santa Claus is not real, does that mean ? is not real? What makes ? real and santa false??"

Big immortal bearded men who "watch you", observe your actions and keep tally of your good and bad deeds so that if you are good, they will bless you with a.) gifts; b.) salvation. Sounds similar.

We're all (for the most part) adults here. This thread was originally intended for Religion and Race but I need some posts to kick it off and it's a grown topic.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Yea, you can't just go tellin kids all these omnipotent beings runnin around, and then go back to sayin "Ah, just playin" and not expect some suspicion...
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »

what would you say to your child if she asked you,

"If Santa Claus is not real, does that mean ? is not real? What makes ? real and santa false??"

Big bearded men who "watch you", observe your actions and keep tally of your good and bad deeds so that if you are good, they will bless you with a.) gifts; b.) salvation. Sounds similar.

Last time I checked folk...The sun shines on the just and unjust
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yes

? and the sun ain't the same thing, jack.
    Matt 25:46 wrote: »
    Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    No.

Santa Claus (and the rest of the child characters) are all fake, we KNOW that eventually. I think it's harmless fun for a child to believe in such things, as its not a life altering belief.

If you look @ Santa and ? , they're similar. Both are "all-knowing", both are immortal, both have magical powers. The thing that separates them is one of them is known to be not real, the other is known to be real.

Adults believe in a ? because I believe most of them want to think and know there's something greater, some grand being that can save everyone from their troubles. The fairy tales of Santa, the Easter Bunny etc don't offer anything that caters to adults while ? does. ? offers a guilt free feeling, love, forgiveness, eternal life etc.. This is what adults go for because they're taught that the things they do are "sinful".

Another opinion is all believers are very weak minded, they feel they need those things and therefore make up a ? in their mind. I think a "placebo effect" kicks in, anything that happens is "gods plan", and they won't believe otherwise.

I don't think it affects the child's future though, I know people who have never believed in that kind of stuff but still believed in a ? . The belief of ? is more heavy, especially when you're raised in a religious household. So that's the affect for the future, not an early belief in the fairy tales.

Although, later the belief can be affected if the person thinks of ? as Santa, tooth fairy or boogeyman. They can look at it and think "Santa wasn't real, so maybe ? isn't either, but won't look at it as "oh Santa existed so ? must too".
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

So the unjust don't receive their (daily necessities) just the same as the just?

Who controls this on a 'daily' basis...if the unjust is so bad..why do they receive 'most' of the things as the just

The quote you posted about Santa is that the unjust doesn't get "nothing" and the just gets rewards...

Those too statements about Santa and ? don't run together folk

• A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's atheists who celebrate Christmas...There's Christians who don't...You gon choose to participate in whatever you want at some point in your life...I was raised by two Southern Baptist ministers...Never believed in Santa Clause, and always had a feeling Jesus wasn't really born on Christmas...Etc...
  • VIBE
    Options
    No
    I guess it can be both, yes and no. I lean towards no more though, because its not likely people will decide that way. It ends up as a comparison later, but the the reasons why it changed their belief.
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Yes

So the unjust don't receive their (daily necessities) just the same as the just?

Who controls this on a 'daily' basis...if the unjust is so bad..why do they receive 'most' of the things as the just

The quote you posted about Santa is that the unjust doesn't get "nothing" and the just gets rewards...

The point I was making is that according to the stories, both ? and santa reward the just (heaven, blessings, etc./gifts respectively) and punish the unjust (hell, plagues, etc./coal, no gifts, etc.). It doesn't get much more complicated than that.
  • VIBE
    Options
    No
    VIBE wrote: »
    I guess it can be both, yes and no. I lean towards no more though, because its not likely people will decide that way. It ends up as a comparison later, but the the reasons why it changed their belief.

*but its not the reasons
  • VIBE
    Options
    No

The point I was making is that according to the stories, both ? and santa reward the just (heaven, blessings, etc./gifts respectively) and punish the unjust (hell, plagues, etc./coal, no gifts, etc.). It doesn't get much more complicated than that.

Santa and ? are pretty similar, they share similar attributes.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yes
    Although, later the belief can be affected if the person thinks of ? as Santa, tooth fairy or boogeyman. They can look at it and think "Santa wasn't real, so maybe ? isn't either"

I agree with this but I try not to underestimate a child's ability to reason.

For instance, a kid asked one of my old friends recently why black people are dark skinned and she said "? made us that way" and the kid said "you can do better than that"
    "Santa wasn't real, so maybe ? isn't either"

I think this train of thought ^^ could come quicker than people assume.
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Yes
    Santa and ? are pretty similar, they share similar attributes.

Exactly and one of the most elementary lessons of childhood is to connect similar, shapes, objects, or concepts. I wouldn't put it past a child to, once find out that fictional characters are not real, doubt the veracity of the Bible/Quran/Torah stories.
  • VIBE
    Options
    No
    For some, they can reason easier than others. My daughter is 8, her reasoning skills are poor. I have a hard time w her in school, but when they asked if Santa was real, I said he's as real as you want him to be.

My son is 6, his reasoning skills are a lot better. When I said that, he said, "so that means he probably isn't real", I shrugged and he said, "if he isn't, then the other ones aren't either". (He's almost made the same kid of reasoning w ? )

So some people can reason, it's just that most won't. One reason is ? is more "important" and holds a deeper meaning. Most of them will actually fear their reasoning, they'll get their doubts then question gods existence, which ends up making them feel guilty then they fear gods "wrath" and "hell".

I know a lot of 'tunnel vision' people, they won't hear or look at it any other way, those people irk me because they're being ignorant as ? .
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    This is a ? question.. no ? ..plenty of people never believed n Santa
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yes
    My son is 6, his reasoning skills are a lot better. When I said that, he said, "so that means he probably isn't real", I shrugged and he said, "if he isn't, then the other ones aren't either". (He's almost made the same kid of reasoning w ? ).

This is what I'm talking about right here cuz a lot of Christian parents teach their children bible stories like Eve and the serpent..Jonah and the Whale..David and Goliath..Jesus and the disciples..? 's existence.. right alongside the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus without really making a distinction between one and the other until later when they want their child to stop believing in one and continue believing in the other. But for what reason???
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Yes
    This is a ? question.. no ? ..plenty of people never believed n Santa

Is it a ? question or is it that you can't understand the question? I didn't ask you whether all people believed in Santa Claus or not. Re read the op and reply again, this time with an intelligent response.

• VIBE
    Options
    No
    My son is 6, his reasoning skills are a lot better. When I said that, he said, "so that means he probably isn't real", I shrugged and he said, "if he isn't, then the other ones aren't either". (He's almost made the same kid of reasoning w ? ).

This is what I'm talking about right here cuz a lot of Christian parents teach their children bible stories like Eve and the serpent..Jonah and the Whale..David and Goliath..Jesus and the disciples..? 's existence.. right alongside the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus without really making a distinction between one and the other until later when they want their child to stop believing in one and continue believing in the other. But for what reason???

? had more meaning and more to offer than a belief in the other things, I think this is why parents hold dear to it and make sure their children do too. Most Christian parents I do know, don't allow their children to believe in such things anyways.
  • Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    I agree with VIBE. Sure, the similarities between Santa and Yahweh are clear to anyone who's willing to look at it objectively, the differences are far more significant. Santa, and those like him are something fun to believe in during certain celebrations or events. Yahweh, on the other hand, serves as an explanation for existential purpose; as the very reason for being for roughly half of the world's population. Because of the significance that is placed on believing in Yahweh, you can't equate it to believing in Santa or the Easter Bunny even if logic would suggest otherwise.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Children live in a world of fairy tales and characters so its easy for them to place Jesus or ? in the same boat. ? has the same attributes as all things that don't exist. He has super powers, immortality and an image. May be a beardy white man similar to Santa Claus, or any of the various pictures of white jesus.

I, like many people, grew up with this image in my house:

merciful-jesus.jpg

^ nobody can prove Jesus looked like that, nobody can prove he exists or existed, he is the same as all the other child-friendly characters you are taught to believe in.

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Yes
    I think it does affect children some how. For a child to believe, by way of parents, that these imaginary beings are indeed real for a number of years only to find out it was all ? does do something to a child's mind when it comes to something they have to believe in order to see. Maybe not detrimental, but it leaves an imprint that people they trusted to tell them the truth lied about something as big as santa. It may not be readily visible in their decision about ? later on in life, but it could definitely be something that happens subconsciously without even their awareness.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    If people did what the parable said, it also might have some more impact. But santa comes whether you're good or bad.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    They say that Santa Claus is basically a parable to teach kids about karma.

And ? isn't?