Does Belief in Santa Claus Affect Future Belief in ? ?

Options
2»

Comments

• fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I believed in Santa till age 11, and I still don't believe in ?
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »
    What seperates one from the other; say, a ? from Santa?

belief in these two things are nothing alike.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    I DONT THINK IT AFFECTS A FUTURE BELIEF IN ? ...

IF YOUR KID IS A CERTAIN AGGE AND THEY STILL BELIEVE IN SANTA, YALL GOT A PROBLEM!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH "BELIEVING" IN SANTA, AS LONG AS YOUR KIDS KNOW ABOUT CHRIST AND THE REAL REASON FOR CHRISTMAS...

BUT OVERALL, SANTA AND THE EASTER BUNNY ARE DETRACTORS THAT TRY TO OVERSHAWDOW THE REAL REASON FOR THESE HOLIDAYS
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a real ? kid, I never really believed in "Santa Claus" or "? "; ? was filed under "Things other people tell me this exist.".

So for real ? kids, it's the underlying cause for disbelief that affects future belief rather than the realization that one belief is ? .
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Yes
    Doctopian wrote: »
    I agree with VIBE. Sure, the similarities between Santa and Yahweh are clear to anyone who's willing to look at it objectively, the differences are far more significant. Santa, and those like him are something fun to believe in during certain celebrations or events. Yahweh, on the other hand, serves as an explanation for existential purpose; as the very reason for being for roughly half of the world's population. Because of the significance that is placed on believing in Yahweh, you can't equate it to believing in Santa or the Easter Bunny even if logic would suggest otherwise.

You and @VIBE strike up a good point but where I'm coming from is the perspective of a child. For children, it's much simpler than it is for an adult. For us, we can make that distinction, but for children it's different. Jesus is just as much of a character as any other whether it be from a popular book or TV show. Neither ? nor Jesus are out and about walking around; a child has to apply his/her imagination just as much or even moreso than they would Santa Claus. Of course ? 's character has crucial differences that distinguish him from santa but for children, they're almost the same. A thinking child might grow to understand that these characters are fiction and from there, doubt the existence of ? also for the same reasons:
    jono wrote: »
    Children live in a world of fairy tales and characters so its easy for them to place Jesus or ? in the same boat.
    VIBE wrote: »
    My son is 6, his reasoning skills are a lot better. When I said that, he said, "so that means he probably isn't real", I shrugged and he said, "if he isn't, then the other ones aren't either". (He's almost made the same kid of reasoning w ? ).
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    I DONT THINK IT AFFECTS A FUTURE BELIEF IN ? ...

IF YOUR KID IS A CERTAIN AGGE AND THEY STILL BELIEVE IN SANTA, YALL GOT A PROBLEM!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH "BELIEVING" IN SANTA, AS LONG AS YOUR KIDS KNOW ABOUT CHRIST AND THE REAL REASON FOR CHRISTMAS...

BUT OVERALL, SANTA AND THE EASTER BUNNY ARE DETRACTORS THAT TRY TO OVERSHAWDOW THE REAL REASON FOR THESE HOLIDAYS

@DROSODAMFUNNY

The thing is, Christ isn't the reason for the season, that's a lot of ? chalked up.

They never celebrated birthdays or holidays in the bible, so there is no "real reason", plus Jesus wasn't born in Dec, try more so Oct/Nov.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    No
    VIBE wrote: »
    They never celebrated birthdays or holidays in the bible, so there is no "real reason"
    because you can't start a holiday based around a birthday later?
  • forum_admin
    forum_admin Members Posts: 32
    Options