When White Athletes Get Into Trouble.....

Options
2»

Comments

• texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yall ? blind if you dont notice the media sweeping ? under the rug.lets take about baseball players them ? stay getting arrested for dumb ? and you almost never hear about it.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    This isn't anything new, white athletes will always get the pass that black athletes will never get.
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You guys do realize that white people control all media, so of course there's gonna be bias. Negative black images is a big seller. It's been that way since media was invented.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    It's alright if it's all White.....smh...
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    This isn't anything new, sorry athletes will always get the pass that elite athletes will never get.

Fixed
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good point tho.

Just last week a co-worker here in L.A. asked me what it was like in ATL when the Vick dogfighting ? was going down. And I asked him "Have you ever heard of Dany Heatley?"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIh3F1AojYiZHVSeM5r_jnsEHQu0E_-Io0i1sFfRMsBJHS5qeL

^^^^ Former Atlanta Thrashers player that got in "trouble" around the same time the Vick ? was going down.

But what he do? ? some dogs? Nope. Gambled? Nope. Beat his wife? Nope. Got caught with some weed? Nope.

So what did he do? Meh, nothing really...

Except ? a guy. His teammate to be exact.

Similar to the situation with that Cowboy's player last week, only Heatley tried to lie about what happened at first. And I've already seen more coverage of that Jerry Brown/Cowboys situation than I ever did about Heatley.

And at the time Heatley was basically the Michael Vick of the Thrashers. Young, talented star on the rise.

Y'all probably didn't hear about it tho. And unless you watched the local Atlanta news every day you probably didn't know many details.

I don't completely disagree with your point, but are you really trying to compare the treatment of a random NHL player to the guy who at the time was being pushed as the face of the "new" NFL? Why would you even expect the coverage to be the same?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    while i slightly agree you guys are missing some big points as well

yes at times white athletes get less coverage but texas aint a top contending team/heisman type QB had johnny football had ? charges that would have still been bigger coverage

also yes i remember that heatley ? cause i play/watch hockey that was cray but because of that incident he never became a big star. at the same time brothas like former nfl player lenoard little killed a rams photographers wife via DUI and before that had another DUI and still played after all that ? . Stallworth again still played and that got some coverage but nothing that big.

As a black male who isnt a high profile athlete i feel like these dudes 9 times outta 10 get more breaks being an athlete. Yes we hear bout vick and OJ but there are hundreds of story's of black athletes that die down mad quick and don't build steam.

? look at hope solos man this was a black man who abused a white girl and that ? died down after a few days media wise. All im saying is when black athletes get in trouble 9 times outta 10 it don't even make the media. it gets covered up for good pr for a school or pro team.
  • texas409
    Options
    Good point tho.

Just last week a co-worker here in L.A. asked me what it was like in ATL when the Vick dogfighting ? was going down. And I asked him "Have you ever heard of Dany Heatley?"

^^^^ Former Atlanta Thrashers player that got in "trouble" around the same time the Vick ? was going down.

But what he do? ? some dogs? Nope. Gambled? Nope. Beat his wife? Nope. Got caught with some weed? Nope.

Similar to the situation with that Cowboy's player last week, only Heatley tried to lie about what happened at first. And I've already seen more coverage of that Jerry Brown/Cowboys situation than I ever did about Heatley.

And at the time Heatley was basically the Michael Vick of the Thrashers. Young, talented star on the rise.

Y'all probably didn't hear about it tho. And unless you watched the local Atlanta news every day you probably didn't know many details.

I don't completely disagree with your point, but are you really trying to compare the treatment of a random NHL player to the guy who at the time was being pushed as the face of the "new" NFL? Why would you even expect the coverage to be the same?

so a few dogs death from dog fighting which has been going on for thousands of years is more important than a man murdering someone else in cold blood? smh the nerve of some of you
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    Good point tho.

so a few dogs death from dog fighting which has been going on for thousands of years is more important than a man murdering someone else in cold blood? smh the nerve of some of you

see my last post brothas who have been in DUI's have gotten of just as easy as white athletes

leonard little (hardly any coverage of his case) killed a person and already had DUIs

donte stallworth also killed someone via a DUI had some coverage but it died down quick

both these black players still went back to the playing in the NFL after they killed someone

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    Good point tho.

The nerve of some of us huh? Settle down spaz. The point is that the crime committed is not the major determining factor in how the media covers an incident. That's the truth regardless of race. Heatley is a relative nobody. Nobody outside of the tiny ATL hockey fan population even know who that cat is. Vick on the other hand was the face of the NFL for a short while. No dog fighting is not worse than killing someone, but by the way either you don't know what "murdering someone in cold blood" means or you're overstating what happened because that phrase would not apply to a death due to ? driving. Either way, the difference in coverage between Vick and Heatley very obviously has more to do with the difference in star power than race.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good point tho.

"Random NHL player?"

Dany Heatley was the 2002 rookie of the year, bruh.

$(KGrHqV,!iME7Etvwjy)BPlLH4c2Mw~~60_35.JPG

And one of the most talked about prospects coming into the league. Try again.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Good point tho.

"Random NHL player?"

True heatley won nhl ROY in 2002 and around that time he was a up and coming prospect. But one of the main reasons the story didn't stick is because well its hockey. Sad but true most sports outlets could give a ? about hockey even when its as big as this.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Good point tho.

"Random NHL player?"

True heatley won nhl ROY in 2002 and around that time he was a up and coming prospect. But one of the main reasons the story didn't stick is because well its hockey. Sad but true most sports outlets could give a ? about hockey even when its as big as this.

U right. Stars in obscure sports that only old white people watch are never newsworthy...

tiger_woods_nike.jpg
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word...

At the time Heatly was the new face of the NHL, there was no Crosby or Ovechkin yet. That story did not get enough burn on US media. It was played the ? out of up in Canada though.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Good point tho.

"Random NHL player?"

U right. Stars in obscure sports that only old white people watch are never newsworthy...

tiger_woods_nike.jpg

Golf actually has a high demographic of middle aged white men as well as a growing population of all races watching it. Hockey still does not have a diverse audience. the only reason tiger was covered was because he was the biggest breakthrough athlete of this generation. Hockey never had a crossover athlete on tigers level that had a conterversy as big as that. You can't compare golf and hockey coverage. Golf is much more popular overall in america than hockey.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Golf isn't an obscure sport. Neither is hockey.

Equestrian is an obscure sport.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with the thread, but a hockey player? come on now a hockey player can ? 32 ppl this morning and that wouldn't be on the news It's hockey B. Plus you know how whitey feels about dogs

• texas409
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    I agree with the thread, but a hockey player? come on now a hockey player can ? 32 ppl this morning and that wouldn't be on the news It's hockey B. Plus you know how whitey feels about dogs when minority sports figures are involved in killing them are

fixed for you
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Golf isn't an obscure sport. Neither is hockey.

Equestrian is an obscure sport.

but unless its a story about the Michael Jordan of golf, then nobody is gonna spend much time reporting on golfers who end up in the news blotter. Nobody would give two ? if Vijay, Phil, Rory, etc... was doing something newsworthy outside of the sport. They could have entire shows dedicated to John Daly, like they did for Tiger..but they don't. and its not b/c he's white and Tiger is whatever he is.

and hockey isn't going to get any real coverage outside of the actual games either. Unless its the ? michael jordan of hockey. And when the ? went down w/ Gretzky and the gambling operation, then yeah that was a regular story.

And Nascar. They could pick out anyone they wanted almost. I mean you got Jeremy Mayfield who is/was a damn ? addict, busted several times but if they are going to cover a 'story' in nascar its gonnna be about Dale Jr and his sister not getting along.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @matt- i was just about to talk about that wayne/his wife gambling thing you right hardly got coverage. If that was tom brady or drew brees and his wife gambling that ? woulda been huge.

oh wait were just getting this in....whats that.....the majority of the saints bounty scandall were white and espn covered the ? outta that...wait so the white coach got the worse punishment out of them all?

lets be honest sports media outlets think catering to minority fans > dowing black athletes who get in trouble. Why do you think shows like espn first drama queen take exist? Because in this changing society its easier to make money off race bating in talks shows than race downing in cases like mike vick going to jail. Thats what the thread should be about: When black viewers get trolled into watching shows like espn first take.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya it really comes down to how high profile the athlete is. Also, where they are in their career when it happens. Kobe, Tiger, Vick...these guys still had plenty career ahead of them.

You can't compare hockey players to NFL players. Don't a lotta hockey games not even get on TV? They're in the middle of a lockout and no one cares, but look how much more press the NFL lockout got. That lets you know how much the media cares about each sport.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fNLRbv1mdk

• bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good point tho.

nobody cares about hockey though....
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Word...

At the time Heatly was the new face of the NHL, there was no Crosby or Ovechkin yet. That story did not get enough burn on US media. It was played the ? out of up in Canada though.

i think this post about sums it all up.

the idiots can stop posting now
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Good point tho.

"Random NHL player?"

tiger_woods_nike.jpg

lol @ you going from comparing that dudes treatment from one high profile black athlete to an even higher profiled mixed athlete. I know you thought you were being clever, but how does this help your case at all?

And you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about if you think the racial demographic of hockey and golf fans are the same. Not to mention that you have a lot of black drones that support Tiger and don't know the first thing about golf.