Alabama high school teacher busted for having sex with her 17-year-old pupil in the spring

Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By MIKE JACCARINO

An ex-Alabama High School teacher who resigned in mid-December was reportedly arrested today for having sex with a 17-year-old pupil during the spring. Stephanie Suggs Millard, 33 of Moody, resigned from Spain Park High School Dec. 13, although police said they learned of the alleged misconduct with a male student when she was still a teacher at the school.

The student has since graduated from Spain Park High School and reportedly gone on to college. Although the 17-year-old student was technically above Alabama's official age of consent for a sexual liaison when the impropriety occurred, state law still renders it illegal for any school employee to engage in sex acts with a student under the age of 19.

Millard, who taught biology at the school, is reportedly charged with two counts of violating that law. 'Parents send their children to school with an expectation that they're children will be cared for,' Hoover police spokesman Capt. Jim Coker told WAFF.com.

'The school, as soon as they realized they had an issue, contacted law enforcement and it was pursued. I think this is probably unusual anywhere.' Millard surrendered to police Saturday afternoon just before 4pm, officials told AL.com. Warrants for her arrest had been issued Thursday, according to WAFF.com. She is being held in the Hoover City Jail in lieu of $30,000 bond, and is awaiting transfer to the Shelby County Jail.

Parents - and even Millard's former students - weighed in on the matter on AL.com. 'Mrs. Millard was a great teacher for the one semester I was in her class,' wrote someone who posted a comment on the AL.com discussion board relating to Millard's arrest.

'She resigned recently and now we have to learn our second semester from someone else. But no matter what, I am glad I met her and was able to learn from her.' Spain Park High School is located within the City of Hoover, outside Birmingham, in northern Shelby County.

article-2254797-16B0C976000005DC-0_306x423.jpg

Comments