Honestly.. whats worse: Unconsciousness or Hell

Options

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No one here has experienced biological death or hell so we cant really compare them.

Man' ego creates fear of his destruction, non being, or death so in his fear he creates the idea of ? and the afterlife so that he can look forward to eternal life where he never meets his destruction.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Premeer
    Premeer Members Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    atheist gathering in here.

i enjoyed how yall spun "unconscious blackness" "scarier" than hell... which is why "people run to the belief of ? "...

i also see a few people angry at the thread cuz they dont even know what to say so they just throw insults.

great input, none the less.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If we're talking about the bible...
    In its context (who's speaking, who's being spoken to, time period and location) there is nothing that speaks of our modern day "understanding" of hell.

Hell=Sheol=The grave. That's it. There is no eternal consciousness while burning and suffering forever. The same with heaven.

What the scriptures do say about death is that when we die thats it... Nothingness. "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust".
    It also speaks of a resurrection day; which is a day when all human beings will be judged to either go back to an eternal state of unconscious rest, or an eternal state of living a conscious rest (on earth).

• Premeer
    Options
    If we're talking about the bible...
    In its context (who's speaking, who's being spoken to, time period and location) there is nothing that speaks of our modern day "understanding" of hell.

Hell=Sheol=The grave. That's it. There is no eternal consciousness while burning and suffering forever. The same with heaven.

What the scriptures do say about death is that when we die thats it... Nothingness. "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust".
    It also speaks of a resurrection day; which is a day when all human beings will be judged to either go back to an eternal state of unconscious rest, or an eternal state of living a conscious rest (on earth).
    so thats your interpretation? thats cool.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    The bible interprets itself. There is no need for "my interpretation".
    2Peter 1:20-21
  • Premeer
    edited December 2012
    Options

but you read it and you got your own mind... as far as interpreting, their is no code words or anything.. like when He calls a country a ? , he tells you exactly what country the ? is so you wont have to try to put some PI ? together to figure out what country the ? is.

it is self explanatory, but when ? says hell is a real place, you said its speaking to ancient civilizations. and you said hell is sheol.. hell is not sheol.. hell is hell and sheol is sheol.. its in the Bible in plain text for you to read.

now go read and re-interpret it. go learn some more about what you talking about before you talk about it again.. know what you are talking about cuz you look silly when you really trying to break something down but are completely wrong.

• NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    Well school me then bro.
  • Premeer
    Options
    Well school me then bro.
    why i gotta school you. i aint getting paid to teach you. you competent enough to seek the truth yourself.
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pretty sure hell is worse.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Is hell a part of ? ?

We know ? created it, but is it a part of him?
  • Premeer
    edited December 2012
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »

One thing I realize about religious people who think they are smart is they come up with the dumbest arguments, without any thought behind it and think its genius. Word up I picture it like a cartoon, @100prime just sitting there and the light bulb popping up and he gets all excited runs to his computer and types the most illogical thoughts and believes it to genius.

this is where this thread came from...
    Oceanic wrote: »
    100 Prime wrote: »
    Oceanic wrote: »
    Two ideas are psychologically deep-rooted in man: self-protection and
    self preservation. For self-protection man has created ? , on whom he depends for
    his own protection, safety and security, just as a child depends on its parent. For
    self preservation man has conceived the idea of an immortal Soul or Atman, which
    will live eternally. In his ignorance, weakness, fear, and desire, man needs these two
    things to console himself. Hence he clings to them deeply and fanatically.
    http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/486812/is-it-just-me-or-does-your-head/p5

if the christians were as petty and corny as atheists.. this is where they would swarm and hit that ether button.

still laughing at these clowns. say something worth while.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

but you read it and you got your own mind... as far as interpreting, their is no code words or anything.. like when He calls a country a ? , he tells you exactly what country the ? is so you wont have to try to put some PI ? together to figure out what country the ? is.

it is self explanatory, but when ? says hell is a real place, you said its speaking to ancient civilizations. and you said hell is sheol.. hell is not sheol.. hell is hell and sheol is sheol.. its in the Bible in plain text for you to read.

now go read and re-interpret it. go learn some more about what you talking about before you talk about it again.. know what you are talking about cuz you look silly when you really trying to break something down but are completely wrong.
    LOL @ This ? .

dont-know-if-trolling-or-just-very-stupid.jpg
  • Premeer
    Options

LOL @ This ? .

its pretty straight to the punch.. i said he was wrong about what he was saying which is why it was a interpretation.. and next time he talks about something like hes knows what he saying, he needs to make sure he right.

not sure you if was trolling or just comprehensible.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Options

LOL @ This ? .

its pretty straight to the punch.. i said he was wrong about what he was saying which is why it was a interpretation.. and next time he talks about something like hes knows what he saying, he needs to make sure he right.

The bolded is what makes it both hilarious and self-ether.

Where do you think he got the word "sheol" from?

Surely you don't think he made it up?

nWLOg.png
  • Premeer
    Options

LOL @ This ? .

nWLOg.png

no ? .. did you read what i said? sheol and hell are 2 different places, HOMIE... why dont you educate yoself on this subject before you talk. yall in the same boat.. arrogance in yall own stupidity. typical story of a atheist.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sheol = Hell broski, it's the same ? , "hell" is the English translation.
  • Premeer
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Sheol = Hell broski, it's the same ? , "hell" is the English translation.
    i put money on it broski.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Options

LOL @ This ? .

nWLOg.png

no ? .. did you read what i said? sheol and hell are 2 different places, HOMIE... why dont you educate yoself on this subject before you talk. yall in the same boat.. arrogance in yall own stupidity. typical story of a atheist.
    So you don't actually know that "sheol" is the original Hebrew term that was translated into "Hell" in the Christian bible.

You do know that much of the Christian bible was originally written in Hebrew right?

7K6qS.png
  • Premeer
    Options
    1. The Unseen Realm Of The Dead

Sheol generally means the unseen realm of the dead, the present state of death. Both the godly and ungodly go to Sheol in this sense of the term. When used in this way, there is no idea of a place of judgment or condemnation. It is, for example, the place where the righteous Jacob would go.

All his sons and daughters came to comfort him, but he [Jacob] refused to be comforted. "No," he said, "in mourning will I go down to the grave [Sheol] to my son." So his father wept for him (Genesis 37:35).
  • Gold_Certificate
    Options
    1. The Unseen Realm Of The Dead

Sheol generally means the unseen realm of the dead, the present state of death. Both the godly and ungodly go to Sheol in this sense of the term. When used in this way, there is no idea of a place of judgment or condemnation. It is, for example, the place where the righteous Jacob would go.

All his sons and daughters came to comfort him, but he [Jacob] refused to be comforted. "No," he said, "in mourning will I go down to the grave [Sheol] to my son." So his father wept for him (Genesis 37:35).
    Cool, so you've learned that "sheol" means "grave"/"pit".

Now notice how older translations of the Christian bible use the word "Hell", while newer translations use words which fit the definition of "sheol".
    Psalms 9 wrote:
    17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget ? .

17 The wicked go down to the realm of the dead, all the nations that forget ? .
    Ezekial 31 wrote:
    16 I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell with them that descend into the pit: and all the trees of Eden, the choice and best of Lebanon, all that drink water, shall be comforted in the nether parts of the earth.

16 I made the nations tremble at the sound of its fall when I brought it down to the realm of the dead to be with those who go down to the pit. Then all the trees of Eden, the choicest and best of Lebanon, the well-watered trees, were consoled in the earth below.
    Job 11 wrote:
    8 It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?

8 They are higher than the heavens above—what can you do? They are deeper than the depths below—what can you know?
    Psalm 16 wrote:
    10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

10 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay.
    22 For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

22 For a fire will be kindled by my wrath, one that burns down to the realm of the dead below. It will devour the earth and its harvests and set afire the foundations of the mountains.
    Proverbs 7 wrote:
    27 Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

27 Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death.
    11 Hell and destruction are before the Lord: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?

11 Death and Destruction[a] lie open before the Lord—how much more do human hearts!
    Isaiah 14 wrote:
    15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

15 But you are brought down to the realm of the dead, to the depths of the pit.
    6 The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me

6 The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me.

In the "King James" version of the Christian bible, "Hell" is used 31 times in the "old testament", in the "New King James" version, it is used 19 times in the "old testament". In newer versions, the word "Hell" is not used in the "old testament".

So your statement that "sheol and hell are 2 different places" is incorrect, since in most cases, "Hell" is merely a poor translation of "sheol".
  • Premeer
    Options

wont even read all that .. but moral of the story, its translated to hell and grave 31 times each. so either way you spin it, both right and wrong. no need to prolong it more than you need to to prove a point.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know not to take 100 prime seriously

He same the poster who stated if I used my blindspot on my middle finger it proves ? 's existence

Lol, such a silly poster
  • Premeer
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    I know not to take 100 prime seriously

He same the poster who stated if I used my blindspot on my middle finger it proves ? 's existence

Lol, such a silly poster

huh? what i say?

stop making up ? .
  • Gold_Certificate
    edited December 2012
    Options
    wont even read all that .. but moral of the story, its translated to hell and grave 31 times each. so either way you spin it, both right and wrong. no need to prolong it more than you need to to prove a point.
    You just said "Sheol generally means the unseen realm of the dead" and then posted an examples that equated "sheol" to "grave".

Since "sheol" is translated into "Hell", you proved yourself wrong b.