It's crazy how Jay's the only NY rapper that never fell off

Options

Comments

• Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Lol at AG being five years ago, but Yall count BP3 against him . Selective haters

Like I said 5 years is along time case in point 2003-2008 50 was popping nothing now.

98-2003 ja rule was popping well we know his story.I can go on but I'm not you get the point.

You can call it what you want but Jay ain't on the same level from American Gangster days,he couldn't make that album or anything close too it to save his life, but you have swallowed so much of his dna I can't expect you too have a unbiased opinion.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    define "felloff" because Nas is still lyrically potent and is dropping good music.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at jay falling off musically, I knew u dusty bacpackers would say this. American Gangster is right up there with any Jay album. WTT was a dope album.

Usmarine is to jay z , what Joseph Goebbels was to ?

And you dusty backpack ? opinions are like Occupy Wall Street protestors, a small group that no onecares about.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I posted some real sh*t but something went wrong. Basically I was saying Jay Z is similar to Madonna in that sense that he attaches himself and his sound to whoever and whatever is hot at that moment.

In '96 Jigga rapped with Big. In '97 he rapped with Foxy. In '98 he was down with Irv, appearing in his videos and vice versa, and he rapped with DMX and Ja. They even had plans to create a supergroup but that never materialized. In '99 he jumped on that "Ha" remix with Juvie. In '02/'03 he did things with 50 after he blew. After Kanye blew '03 he rapped with him, even recording joint albums eventhough he wasn't feeling 'Ye when he started spitting.

Jay'll record with rappers that are hot but stops messing with them when they fall off and I can't blame him. This is a business afterall.
    Reggie80 wrote: »
    Lol at AG being five years ago, but Yall count BP3 against him . Selective haters

Like I said 5 years is along time case in point 2003-2008 50 was popping nothing now.

98-2003 ja rule was popping well we know his story.I can go on but I'm not you get the point.

You can call it what you want but Jay ain't on the same level from American Gangster days,he couldn't make that album or anything close too it to save his life, but you have swallowed so much of his dna I can't expect you too have a unbiased opinion.
    While I kinda see your point if Jigga would release material similar to American Gangster heads would criticize him for lack of growth and creativity. When he keeps talking about hustling general rapfans hold that against him but when he tries to do something new like Kingdon Come fans criticize him also.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why is this just limited to NY rappers? how many rappers from anywhere has been this successful for this long?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all ? can 't mess with his daughter's room or socks ...
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @usmarin3, you really think that AG, BP3 and WTT is holding a candle to RD, BP and BA? Son fell off, deal with it.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tell Stacey Dash that it ain't Obama's fault she can't find work
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Jay Z is the exception, that shouldn't be used as a slight against other NY rappers. That's why I ask define felloff because Fabolous, 50 cent, Puffy, Nas, Jada, Raekwon, are still relevant to different varying degrees.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    Jay Z is the exception, that shouldn't be used as a slight against other NY rappers. That's why I ask define felloff because Fabolous, 50 cent, Puffy, Nas, Jada, Raekwon, are still relevant to different varying degrees.

I guess what he's saying is that Jay is the only artist that can go consistently platinum, at least for now. Puff ain't necessarily gonna pull a No Way Out from his hat anytime soon. Same with 50. Fab is still consistent, being that he was never really that successful anyway. With a good push he can drop a gold album, which are his usual numbers.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Funny cuz last I check jay's last good album was the black album in 03. 50's last joint went gold and he just got a deal to do more movies. Nas newest sold well and lyrically beats jay so I don't see how jay didn't fall off. If anything he passed the torch
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wait for it

wait for it

Over 2 hours...

No tomp yet?
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is why Jay is G.O.A.T
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it me or is the IC full of Nas stans?
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Using the same logic lil wanye is G.O.A.T
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Vaas wrote: »
    Using the same logic lil wanye is G.O.A.T

Just ethered this whole thread with this

Weezy´s first album was plat and his last went plat in a week..
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes. Yes.

Let the feelings rain down on you.
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay-z didn't fall off lyrically he just became old and that young hustla/balla persona doesn't fit him too well that's why he sounds like he is trying too hard on songs like 3 kings and clique but still he went in on watch the throne.
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    comparing between jay-z and lil wayne always had the same answer.
    jay-z-vol1.jpgtha-carter.jpg

jay-z-hard-knock-life.jpgad92e30bfef524030bf06fc29a0ea3685139a75a.jpg
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cant really say he fell off musically when he is still one of the few rappers that can sell out a stadium show where people come to hear music
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CirocObama wrote: »
    The reason why jay has been more successful than them washed 90s ? is because he switched up hid sound and never limited himself to dusty boom nap back packers. ? likeNas marginalized their audience and pigeonholed themselves. That's why when Nas makes singles with Chris Brown, Kerry Hilson,etc itdoesnt work.

Not true. Jay-Z's business moves and his relationship with Beyonce gave his brand waaaaay more relevancy than he would've had by now. Jay-Z is a brand his name alone will sell records. He gained alot more female fans and Beyonce fans when he hooked up with her too. Same thing with Swizz when he got with Alicia. Not that it's a bad thing but don't sit there and act like Jay-Z would've been that popular still if those things didn't happen. That's why Jay-Z can be gone for 5 years without dropping albums and still remain "out there" and still do big shows. It's not cuz of his music per se.

Funny tho how relevancy is measured in popularity. A rapper is irrelevant to me when i'm no longer interested in his music or what he has to say, not cuz he isn't as popular, isn't selling as many records and not trendy anymore.

How can Nas be irrelevant when he dropped prolly the best hip-hop album this year? I loved Hip Hop Is Dead and ? too so he always has and always will catch my ear as a fan. He's here strictly based off of his music. Not cuz who he's married with, not cuz of his sponsors, not cuz of his clothing line, not cuz he sold this many records, not cuz of his investments etc. When you think of Nas you think of his music and lyricsm before anything else, so if you call a 20 year career strictly off his music irrelevant while being a true MC who never really did those big numbers anyway then i unno what to tell ya..

/thread.

Plus I wanted to punch Jay in the face when I heard that terrible 3 Kings verse.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in time everyone falls off...jay has fallen down a couple notches but honestly his peak (and a few others) was so much higher than these other rap dudes that him falling a few notches still makes him way better than most. he still does it at a very high level