What were the differences between Gunit and Dipset?

Options
Zigefresh
Zigefresh Members Posts: 233 ✭✭
Besides the talent of course.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dipset didn't have Tony Yayo psuedo-tough, old face ass. Nor did they sign washed up, rap groups that aint been hot since the mid-90s.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One was a unit and the other were "Dipolmatics"
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The difference is that people still like Cam.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    one was just good at its peak, the others were a legendary movement(dipset of course)
  • lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    G-unit was more agressive
  • TheFix
    TheFix Members Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    G-unit felt like everybody was comin up from 50's momentum, and because it was attached to him, it blew. Dipset, hate em or love em was a true movement. Heatmakerz was a low key underrated production team too. 50 fell off, and his whole team fell off. Dipset fell off, and the major individual pieces were at least able to make do because they all came up hustlin. The downfall of G-unit was it seemed like 50 was spoilin ? and givin em a shot, it's only right to put the homies on, nothin wrong with it. The diplomats all started off ? up, and they hustled their way up, led by Cam. I ain't like their music all that much, not grown enough for me, but you gotta respect that hustle. Hip hop could use another movement like that right now.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you think G Unit, you think 50 and his cronies. Yayo could get hit by a car in front of your face and the first thing that'll pop in your head is "where 50 at?" When you think Dipset, you think movement. Whether it was Cam or Juelz or 40 Cal, when them ? said Dipset in a song, you sensed the unity and cohesiveness (at least when they were together).
  • alibaba
    alibaba Members Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    When you think G Unit, you think 50 and his cronies. Yayo could get hit by a car in front of your face and the first thing that'll pop in your head is "where 50 at?" When you think Dipset, you think movement. Whether it was Cam or Juelz or 40 Cal, when them ? said Dipset in a song, you sensed the unity and cohesiveness (at least when they were together).

LMMFAO
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both followed their leader. One did it better (and for worse). G Unit lived & died with 50 which was a double edged sword for Banks & co. No matter what you think about G Unit now or 50 they had a good stretch of making good music and being commercially dominant. Dipset cant say either
    GRODT
    Beg For Mercy
    Hunger For More
    Straight Outta Cashville
    Documentary
    thats 2 solid years of platinum, 3.5 mic albums
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can say G-Unit camp produces better albums.

But the Dips double album is better than the G-Unit album.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    TheFix wrote: »
    G-unit felt like everybody was comin up from 50's momentum, and because it was attached to him, it blew. Dipset, hate em or love em was a true movement. Heatmakerz was a low key underrated production team too. 50 fell off, and his whole team fell off. Dipset fell off, and the major individual pieces were at least able to make do because they all came up hustlin. The downfall of G-unit was it seemed like 50 was spoilin ? and givin em a shot, it's only right to put the homies on, nothin wrong with it. The diplomats all started off ? up, and they hustled their way up, led by Cam. I ain't like their music all that much, not grown enough for me, but you gotta respect that hustle. Hip hop could use another movement like that right now.

at the bold it's deeper than that. cats under 50 could only go so far. he didn't want nobody from his camp outshining him. but ironically enough once the unit fell off then he complains that they didn't work hard enough or that he was holding their hands. he can't have it both ways. with cam'ron i get the feeling that he doesn't care if jimmy, juelz, hell rell, 40 cal, jr writer etc outshine him.
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    TheFix wrote: »

at the bold it's deeper than that. cats under 50 could only go so far. he didn't want nobody from his camp outshining him. but ironically enough once the unit fell off then he complains that they didn't work hard enough or that he was holding their hands. he can't have it both ways. with cam'ron i get the feeling that he doesn't care if jimmy, juelz, hell rell, 40 cal, jr writer etc outshine him.

That was the dopest thing about Cam. He was always get on Juelz' records like "you're on your own now", like he was letting him do his thing. And at one point, Juelz was hotter than Cam. He tried to do that with everybody, worked for some, less for others. That hasn't been done since Wu Tang. That's why Dipset was a movement, it was bigger than Cam.
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dipset had better beats
  • joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dipset is still my all time fav supergroup til today... It was just something real about the Dips... They had the average fan feeling as if they were a Diplomat... They started the mix tape ? back with the Back like cooked cracks and ? .. I wish they could bring that magic back real ?
  • UrbanScribe
    UrbanScribe Members Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Options
    one fell off horrendously and the other groups well forever be known as NY last true movement.... that being The Set.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Main difference is you can tell nobody in Dipset cared who was the hottest as long as the name Dipset was hot...50 wanted to be the face of G-Unit
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Dipset was all swag and branding ... Gunit was street and branding ...

both teams fell off ...

but atleast the head of Gunit is still making the forbes list so theres hope there cause Yayo and Banks still have a boss that connected and grinding like he aint got a nickel to his name ...

as for Dipset Camron, Juelz and Jimmy ... aint no need in naming anyone else attached to this brand cause its a wrap for them unless they come with an out of the park smash hit !! but i dont know what to say about these dudes ... Jimmy had the potential to be major but with the loss of Stack Bundles and Max B .. hes been on a downward cycle and he never really peaked!! The Chrissy & Mr. Jones Reality show might have been the last nail in jimmys coffin ?????? hopefully not tho cause i ? with Jones ... Cam looks like hes just as comfortable as hes always been but doesnt seem to be concerned with the "dipset" brand as far as RAP BUSINESS GOES ... last ive been seeing of camron is the Cousin Bang youtube episodes which have been hilarious but they drop a video like every 3 months .... sooooooooooooooooooooo ????????????? ..... And juelz .... JUELZ ?????? ... Juel Santana is looking like the next coming of Detox .....................

• antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Main difference is you can tell nobody in Dipset cared who was the hottest as long as the name Dipset was hot...50 wanted to be the face of G-Unit

50 was the face of Gunit ... as was Camron was the face of Dipset ... Cam could have been just as big as 50 if it werent for him playing the background from purple haze on .... cam lost his hustle after that ... he just dropped albums and made youtube videos .....

50 was 10 million in ... its kind of hard to compare his leader ship role with Camrons ... cause cam blew ... but 50 exploded ... 2 different levels of success ........... you cant handle them the same way .........
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the unit was three hustlas turned rappers from queens. dipset was the whole harlem standing behind a movement.
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what is this Dipset movement ppl keep saying? i live in harlem bor and raised. They were hot but the difference is G-Unit had more success than them. Mainstream and "movement" wise.
  • Lab Baby
    edited December 2012
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    Dipset was all swag and branding ... Gunit was street and branding ...

both teams fell off ...

but atleast the head of Gunit is still making the forbes list so theres hope there cause Yayo and Banks still have a boss that connected and grinding like he aint got a nickel to his name ...

as for Dipset Camron, Juelz and Jimmy ... aint no need in naming anyone else attached to this brand cause its a wrap for them unless they come with an out of the park smash hit !! but i dont know what to say about these dudes ... Jimmy had the potential to be major but with the loss of Stack Bundles and Max B .. hes been on a downward cycle and he never really peaked!! The Chrissy & Mr. Jones Reality show might have been the last nail in jimmys coffin ?????? hopefully not tho cause i ? with Jones ... Cam looks like hes just as comfortable as hes always been but doesnt seem to be concerned with the "dipset" brand as far as RAP BUSINESS GOES ... last ive been seeing of camron is the Cousin Bang youtube episodes which have been hilarious but they drop a video like every 3 months .... sooooooooooooooooooooo ????????????? ..... And juelz .... JUELZ ?????? ... Juel Santana is looking like the next coming of Detox .....................

That's the thing... through G Unit, 50 promoted himself, putting himself on all their singles, writing hooks for their albums. That's how he managed to stay on top without releasing an album 2 years between his first and second. And once they betrayed his trust, or they don't do what he expects, he drops them. Call it good hustling, I call it taking advantage. And he's still talked about today cuz people still feel that that same hitmaking 50 is there, knowing that if he drops today he's going quadruple Ugg boot fur. Cam took that movement to the proverbial grave. So they both may have fell off, but being a Dip was more beneficial to them than being in the Unit was to Banks and Yayo.

Sidenote: seen this the other day, I died

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P4m-VVEl5U

This ? got a frohawk...
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol at y'all lames consigning cam leadership when he literally held juelz hostage for 3 years which never allowed him to blow. gunit was world wide phenomenon. dip was regional at best.
  • UrbanScribe
    UrbanScribe Members Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    lol at y'all lames consigning cam leadership when he literally held juelz hostage for 3 years which never allowed him to blow. gunit was world wide phenomenon. dip was regional at best.

That whole post was ducktales... Juelz was in a contract that he needed to fulfill.. nothing wrong with his boss saying do your job.. Dip had a movement that was based in NY but, the whole country was rocking with them... how many of your fav rappers was claiming The Set??
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »

That whole post was ducktales... Juelz was in a contract that he needed to fulfill.. nothing wrong with his boss saying do your job.. Dip had a movement that was based in NY but, the whole country was rocking with them... how many of your fav rappers was claiming The Set??

"I'm so Dipset, Dip South baby... and if you don't like it ? , ? you with an AIDS ? ... if Killa say a ? dead, then a ? dead"

And ? actin like from 06 til now Juelz hasn't been the laziest mufucka in rap history. Cam did good to keep him under contract.