CT high school student suspended for writing a poem about Sandy Hook shooter

Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By JILL REILLY

A 17-year old high school student has been suspended for a poem she wrote about the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Courtni Webb wrote the poem in a personal notebook about Adam Lanza and what she felt were his reasons for the mass murder at the Connecticut school earlier this month.

Courtni, who writes 'all types' of poetry to express herself, told Today that she was just trying to express 'her belief that tragedies in Sandy Hook happen because people feel helpless.' But the contents of the poem prompted the school officials at the Life Learning Academy on Treasure Island, San Francisco, to suspend her.

'I understand the killings in Connecticut. I know why he pulled the trigger,' wrote Courtni Webb. 'Why are we oppressed by a dysfunctional community of haters and blamers?'

The poem was found in a personal notebook of Courtni's by a teacher, reported examiner.com. Courtni attends Connecticut's Life Learning Academy, a 60-pupil vocational school that prides itself on being able to help students who have not been able to settle at other establishments.

She says in the past she has handed in poems dealing with dark issues and has not experienced any problems. Her poems are a therapeutic way of expressing herself, explained the student, and should not be over-analysed. 'For example, the only person I can think of would be like Stephen King. He writes weird stuff all the time. That doesn't mean he's gonna do it or act it out,' said Webb.

'I feel like they're over reacting. Why? Because my daughter doesn't have a history of violence. She didn't threaten anybody. She didn't threaten herself. She simply said she understood why,' said her mother, Valerie Statham. The San Francisco Unified School District are currently deciding about Courtni's future at the school and if she poses genuine threat to the safety to her fellow students.

But for now, she is suspended until further notice.

The massacre, which President Obama yesterday described as 'the worst day of my presidency', has prompted a look into new gun controls and banning assault rifles such as AR-15 Bushmaster used by Lanza in his rampage. The National Rifle Association has resisted those efforts vociferously, arguing instead that schools should have armed guards for protection.

Obama's comments come as the schoolroom shooting has elevated the issue of gun violence to the forefront of public attention.

'I am skeptical that the only answer is putting more guns in schools,' Obama said.

'And I think the vast majority of the American people are skeptical that that somehow is going to solve our problem.'

article-0-16B369C9000005DC-263_634x334.jpg

article-2255205-16B369D1000005DC-904_634x318.jpg

article-2255205-16B369E7000005DC-295_306x423.jpg

Comments

• Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AN EXTRACT FROM THE POEM-

They wanna hold me back
    I run but still they still attack
    My innocence, I won't get back
    I used to smile
    They took my kindness for weakness
    The silence the world will never get
    I understand the killing in Conecticut
    I know why he pulled the trigger
    The government is a shame
    Society never wants to take the blame
    Society puts these thoughts in our head
    Misery loves company
    If I can't be loved no one can

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shame, can't let one express themselves.
  • BK Product
    BK Product Members Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over reacting as usual.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how the ? is this even possible i'd be up at that school going Joe Clarke
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CC_Will wrote: »
    17 and can't spell trigger though... RIP Public Schools

and she don even go to public school either she goes to some academy smh

this is another ignorant ass teenager who think they got a grasp of the world but don't. the reason he pulled the trigger is because his mom happen to have a ? doomsday conspiracy theory stash of assult weapons and ammunition and i doubt her mom has that

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    high school poetry should be punishable by death. she got off easy.
  • theBlackbeard
    theBlackbeard Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The kid is emotional, and so is who ever turned her in.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They overreacted.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Title is rather misleading. She didn't get suspended for writing a poem. She was suspended for the contents of the poem. Also, major overreaction by the school. But I understand why they did it.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, this broad from Connecticut or SF? The article says both. ? it, I'ma go with SF.
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? overreaching as usual....

in the school and the thread....
    so oh girl is supposed to be a laureate at 17?
    Word? Most ? twice her age dont have a grasp of
    the world or of grasp of their own creative voice.

Nothing more than suppression of creative thought
    people would rather criminalize than empathize.

poem is horrible though...same way I wrote when I was
    shorty's age.

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn ? 's reaching way too much nowadays. 1 this kinda kills the first amendment & 2 this is kinda an invasion of privacy.
    But other than that had a feeling that the person who did the poem was black & the people who suspended her were mostly white!!!
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible poem b. Six's erotica>>>>
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised she's black
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is ridiculous
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    whether i agree with her sentiments or not, this is wrong on SOOOOOOO many levels. so now its "wrong" to THINK different?

will things like this not lead us to the point where its "wrong" to THINK?
    kai_valya wrote: »
    one, people need to calm down

two, that is a terrible poem. do they not teach proper structure in that school? and it's just all over the place. if it was well written i'd have no complaints

its art. ? structure.

• Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect wrote: »
    whether i agree with her sentiments or not, this is wrong on SOOOOOOO many levels. so now its "wrong" to THINK different?

two, that is a terrible poem. do they not teach proper structure in that school? and it's just all over the place. if it was well written i'd have no complaints

its art. ? structure.

Theres structure to everything. Her rhyming was off, her thoughts didnt make sense, she was writing in a contemporary abba structure, and the rhythm of the placement of her words were off.

At least shes better than @shencothemc

At thats not by a huge margin
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    ? poem and ugly ? .

If she was cute or the poem was good, she would not be in this situation.

? her.
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lechic wrote: »

its art. ? structure.

Theres structure to everything. Her rhyming was off, her thoughts didnt make sense, she was writing in a contemporary abba structure, and the rhythm of the placement of her words were off.

She 17 doe. What 17 year olds feelings are stable
    or disciplined enough to pen a decent poem?

This is probably her first poetry class. Most folks I took
    CW classes with didnt even take them til college much less
    senior year in HS.

? dont come out the ? on some def jam poetry ? .
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

its art. ? structure.

Why do you constantly bother me? Shouldn't you be getting ready for training camp?
  • Black Boy King

its art. ? structure.

Why does all that matter? It was found in her personal notebook. There was no reason to follow a structure or put it in a way where the public can understand
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theres too much feelings in this thread
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A school board acting crazy? This is unheard of
  • Black Boy King
    edited December 2012
    Theres too much feelings in this thread
    Is that what you do in real life when someone disagrees with what you're saying, lol?

and lol @ you critiquing her grammar. ironing